We Need a Star | Syracusefan.com

We Need a Star

MadNY3

All American
For all the changes in basketball, the one thing that hasn’t: you need a star

All our final four teams had a star you could go-to. The original construct of this team was for Judah to be the star. Just doesn’t work.

We need Donnie next year or some unforeseen transfer to come forth to do any damage in the third month of the year.

Jr Quadary Copeland with an improved jumper and better decision making is our best shot at this.

I don't think Freeman's game translates to dominating as a freshman. I think he'll be very good and a great compliment to Brown just not a put the team on his back guy.

Jr Quadary Copeland with an improved jumper and better decision making is our best shot at this.

I don't think Freeman's game translates to dominating as a freshman. I think he'll be very good and a great compliment to Brown just not a put the team on his back guy.
Stars don’t act like he does on the court. Something’s always rubbed me the wrong way with his demeanor, I don’t know.

While I agree Donnie is not that guy currently I think if he makes another leap this summer and puts on a bit more weight like he did this previous one he could be that guy. He’s improving at a pretty rapid rate at this point. If the jumper gets a bit more consistent and he can develop the left hand more then we may have a star on our hands, even year one. It’s a lot to ask and a bit unfair of an expectation of a freshman though, even one who is a McDonald’s all American. At this point he’s our best bet imo, hopefully we can pick someone up in the portal that’s a more sure thing as a number 1 option.

While I agree Donnie is not that guy currently I think if he makes another leap this summer and puts on a bit more weight like he did this previous one he could be that guy. He’s improving at a pretty rapid rate at this point. If the jumper gets a bit more consistent and he can develop the left hand more then we may have a star on our hands, even year one. It’s a lot to ask and a bit unfair of an expectation of a freshman though, even one who is a McDonald’s all American. At this point he’s our best bet imo, hopefully we can pick someone up in the portal that’s a more sure thing as a number 1 option.
I have a feeling our best player next season is currently not on the roster and not an incoming freshman.

For all the changes in basketball, the one thing that hasn’t: you need a star

All our final four teams had a star you could go-to. The original construct of this team was for Judah to be the star. Just doesn’t work.

We need Donnie next year or some unforeseen transfer to come forth to do any damage in the third month of the year.
Who doesn’t?
They don’t grow on trees.

I think Copeland will be better. I don't know that he'll be a go to guy who you ride when you need a basket. He's a little too wild, and while that can get better, he also is a little too pass first. I expect he'll be even better next year, with a little more excellent and a little less frustrating. That incremental improvement is going to make him even more fun to watch.

I disagree on your Freeman take. He might actually be a guy that can reliably take the ball in the post and score, especially if we play a bigger lineup against smaller teams, where an undersized small forward will have to guard him.

Much has been made about Freeman's new small forward skills, propelling him into the top20... But before that, he was a top40 player based on his big man skills. He is a very good post scorer, maybe good enough to command a double team against teams in the ACC. I'll be looking forward to see him work down low with a few teammates around him that can do some damage on the kickout pass from the post.

I think Copeland will be better. I don't know that he'll be a go to guy who you ride when you need a basket. He's a little too wild, and while that can get better, he also is a little too pass first. I expect he'll be even better next year, with a little more excellent and a little less frustrating. That incremental improvement is going to make him even more fun to watch.

I disagree on your Freeman take. He might actually be a guy that can reliably take the ball in the post and score, especially if we play a bigger lineup against smaller teams, where an undersized small forward will have to guard him.

Much has been made about Freeman's new small forward skills, propelling him into the top20... But before that, he was a top40 player based on his big man skills. He is a very good post scorer, maybe good enough to command a double team against teams in the ACC. I'll be looking forward to see him work down low with a few guys around him that can do some damage on the kickout pass from the post.
If you read this board, insiders saying Cope won’t be here

If you read this board, insiders saying Cope won’t be here
Who's saying that and where?

Not that it matters, I was just giving thoughts on the prospects of Copeland becoming our go to scorer. I think even if he were dominant off the dribble, instead of merely good, Copeland still likes to pass too much to be a classic go to guy.

Not that it matters, I was just giving thoughts on the prospects of Copeland becoming our go to scorer. I think even if he were dominant off the dribble, instead of merely good, Copeland still likes to pass too much to be a classic go to guy.
Post in thread 'So Who Is The First Portaler?'
So Who Is The First Portaler?
And #129 same thread

Synopsis from the posts I’ve read from people I 100% believe. Q and Judah are pretty much aholes off the court, it carried through the locker room and court with the Benny continuity. They’re not coming back and reading between the lines it seems like we probably shouldn’t want them back.

Synopsis from the posts I’ve read from people I 100% believe. Q and Judah are pretty much aholes off the court, it carried through the locker room and court with the Benny continuity. They’re not coming back and reading between the lines it seems like we probably shouldn’t want them back.
Being 'nice' off the court doesn't win you games. The Boeheim kids were nice and we ended up with a losing record when there were 2 of them and not just 1. They had OK teammates JG3, Swider, Jesse.

Developing Q for 2 years so he can be a star somewhere else is moronic. Let Judah and Benny move on and try and coach him up. If he gets beat out hes still a high energy bench option. If he acts up he gets booted.

Being 'nice' off the court doesn't win you games. The Boeheim kids were nice and we ended up with a losing record when there were 2 of them and not just 1. They had OK teammates JG3, Swider, Jesse.

Developing Q for 2 years so he can be a star somewhere else is moronic. Let Judah and Benny move on and try and coach him up. If he gets beat out hes still a high energy bench option. If he acts up he gets booted.
I’m not sure this is about “being nice”. If that was the case I don’t think they’d be leaving.

Every one here said Q is gone.

Every one here said Q is gone.
Hope not we won’t win 20 games if we lose all our good players other than Brown. I don’t consider Starling a good player on a top team either he’s OK. Cuffe and Westry to save us at guard? Lol we might be the worst team in the ACC.

Red needs to retain Q no matter what will be a crippling loss like Edwards.

If you haven’t developed the left hand by middle school it ain’t happening. Just look at JJ.

I agree that Copeland has star written all over him. College star. Uncanny feel for the flashy play, fun to watch, an offensive engine unto himself. Special player
Q has fan favorite and electric player written all over him. Not sure he’s a stud though.