We need to face facts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

We need to face facts

Why did he say what he did? Enlighten me.
lol, I'm done. You have your opinion. Obviously, in the 'wake' of yesterday's game, people need to criticize everything under the sun. There are so many things worth discussing about yesterday's game. If you want to waste your time on a silly discussion over a 2 second throwaway line at the end of a halftime interview, have at it.

After we beat Nebraska in '84, we lost the next four games including a shut out loss to Rutgers. We are turning the corner. Recruits want to play for Dino (and why not?). We have been in every game this year (including this one). Transformations do not happen overnight. Patience.

I think we lost to Rutgirls the game before Nebraska. But yes I agree

lol, I'm done. You have your opinion. Obviously, in the 'wake' of yesterday's game, people need to criticize everything under the sun. There are so many things worth discussing about yesterday's game. If you want to waste your time on a silly discussion over a 2 second throwaway line at the end of a halftime interview, have at it.

I'm in the camp that it wasn't a big deal AT ALL. I'm just saying he said it because he was thinking some fans would not stick around and that's pretty telling.

And yes, there is plenty to talk about regarding yesterday's game. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Just wondering out loud here. Curious to see.
I'm wondering if the majority of the people who are hopeful that Dino is the man to turn this around, are over the age of 36, and if the majority of the ones who have given up on Dino, or think we are not improving are under 36. I'm wondering if the ones who grew up in the era of instant gratification, just can't stomach the fact that a college football team, almost without exception, requires 3-4 years to turn around, while the older fans, 36 and over, have more patience.
I'm not saying this is the case, but I'm wondering if there is any truth to it. I know that myself (40), and my closest friends at work, who are also over 35, feel very hopeful, while the guys I work with in their 20's want Dino fired, because he isn't winning at least 8 games, and scoring 40 + a game in year 2.
I don't think any rational fan wants HCDB fired. Clearly we are improved on pretty much every level. That said the fans who get in a lather when fans on a forum question some game decisions and preparation seems equally irrational. Im over 40, not calling for anyone to be canned, but want better performances against peer schools than we saw yesterday.

The only real fact we need to face is that we're still a work in progress, with weaknesses that got exposed by a good team. We aren't as good yet as we need to be and aren't as bad as we looked yesterday. Lots of good and interesting things happened yesterday but the second half isn't on that list.

It sounds like the Fine mess was great and I wish I was there. I started my game day at 7 am Colorado time and enjoyed most of it. I saw a big huge black bear by my house in the morning(almost as big as my car), talked with my son for the first time since the summer, followed the game by gamecast, chat room, gameday thread, and texting with my brother in Oregon.

While disappointed by the 4th quarter and diminished outlook for the season, lots of us, and I'm including all of you, made yesterday a good event through all of the good you put into the day. We can't possibly be more disappointed than the team, so I'll let them handle that part and focus on the good derived from being a fan.

Sports success is cyclical and we're on the upswing despite all evidence to the contrary. Except for the outcome I really enjoyed yesterday and chatting with you good people. From remote Colorado I'm here to say: "Better days are ahead"...

Our coach said you'd see a big difference between games 4-6 of year 2.
That's actually not what he said. What he said was that at his previous 2 stops, that's typically what happened. He also said that about the offense. He didn't say anything about the defense, which was the issue yesterday, not the offense.

Why did he tell the fans to stick around in the second half? It is not an interpretation. He could've said nothing but he chose to tell the fans there's another half. He was imploring the fans not to leave.

Its just his way of saying they need to participate, he did similar against Clemson.

Its just his way of saying they need to participate, he did similar against Clemson.

Fair enough. Wish we'd get to the point where that goes without saying.

That's actually not what he said. What he said was that at his previous 2 stops, that's typically what happened. He also said that about the offense. He didn't say anything about the defense, which was the issue yesterday, not the offense.

That's true. All true. So since we are still struggling to win games, maybe we are behind where he's been at his previous stops. I guess the counterpoint is we have lost some close games but I'm sick of that thought process where we are happy to have been in most games to the end. Need wins.

After we beat Nebraska in '84, we lost the next four games including a shut out loss to Rutgers. We are turning the corner. Recruits want to play for Dino (and why not?). We have been in every game this year (including this one). Transformations do not happen overnight. Patience.
That isn't true. We lost to Rutgers 19-0 the week BEFORE the Nebraska game. I went to that game and the funny thing, we dominated that game. I swear we had 5 length of the field drives where we turned it over in the red zone.

We got outscored 40-5 in the 2nd half, thats competing?

It happened when you run out of gas. Without the starting QB, SU tried to be 120% from the start. It drained you in the end. I know we are going to lose when I learned Eric is not available. At least we saw a good half of game.

It happened when you run out of gas. Without the starting QB, SU tried to be 120% from the start. It drained you in the end. I know we are going to lose when I learned Eric is not available. At least we saw a good half of game.

Then you have to make adjustments and slow things down.

Why did he tell the fans to stick around in the second half? It is not an interpretation. He could've said nothing but he chose to tell the fans there's another half. He was imploring the fans not to leave.
I was there and agree. Think it was deserved because we have pretty soft fans, but at the same time our head coach should find other words.

That's true. All true. So since we are still struggling to win games, maybe we are behind where he's been at his previous stops. I guess the counterpoint is we have lost some close games but I'm sick of that thought process where we are happy to have been in most games to the end. Need wins.
The gap in talent relative to the league competition here is far greater than it was at his previous 2 stints as HC. These things are not in a vacuum. Nobody is happy with a loss, but like I've explained to others, picture a big checklist of milestones you need to accomplish in a rebuild. For instance, some milestones may be:
win a game at home
win a game on the road
upset a team at home
upset a team on the road
beat a top 25 team at home
beat a top 25 team on the road
beat a top 10 team at home
beat a top 10 team on the road
win 5 games
win 6 games
win 7 games
etc.
We're only in game 10 of year 2. We've reached milestones, and have more to reach. The trajectory of the team is going to resemble an EKG readout as opposed to a 45 degree upward angle. There will be amazing wins (Clemson) followed by frustrating losses (Wake). Winning consistency should not be expected this year. I can point to soooooo many college coaches, that inherited perennial losers, and turned around the program to respectable 8-10 win teams every year. The vast majority struggled through 1-5 win seasons for the first 3-5 years. They all had big upsets during those rebuilding years, and they all suffered bad losses during those years. Consistency is usually not reached until years 3-5.

I think we lost to Rutgirls the game before Nebraska. But yes I agree

You're right, of course. I should know better than try to act like an historian on this board.

You're right, of course. I should know better than try to act like an historian on this board.
The only reason I remember is after the game thinking, "We lost last year 63-7, and Rutgers just shut us out. Can we just forfeit next week and book the 2-0 loss?" ;)

I'm in the camp that it wasn't a big deal AT ALL. I'm just saying he said it because he was thinking some fans would not stick around and that's pretty telling.

And yes, there is plenty to talk about regarding yesterday's game. Unfortunately.

i think he was making a point since the student section should be full every game like all traditional football schools have and yesterday it was at 60 %

i think he was making a point since the student section should be full every game like all traditional football schools have and yesterday it was at 60 %
60%? Thats generous. Maybe 15% in my opinion

we need players like Keith Bulluck, Morlon Greenwood at those positions. Add Safeties like Donovin Darius, and Tebucky Jones to Scoop, and you have the start of a real defense.
Except we don’t have those players coming in. Post fail.