We NEED to lose | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We NEED to lose

My high school has a motto: Succisa Virescit

Translation: Cut it down, it grows back stronger

I think we need to turn it up a notch or two if we're gonna win the games that ultimately count in March. I think complacency is seeping in.

Actually I think they're just tired from a heavy schedule, the spotlight of being no. 1, a short bench and a lot of draining, close games.

But they're still finding a way to win these games. I'm okay with that. :)

Pretty sure Bobby Knight wanted to lose a few games in 1976, but his players just didn't listen.

:rolling:

That team had 9 single digit victories all year. 6 were to ranked opponents (they only had top-20 back then). We've had 10 already, 2 to top-20)

If you're complacent in a 1-and-done tournament in March you don't deserve to win it, period; not losing before that is irrelevant.

Huh??? You really want Syracuse to lose? Not the problem. Problem tonight was four of syracuses best players didn't show up and yet they still won

They all showed up, they just weren't very effective very often. Games like this happen, It's what you do about them that's important, and SU competed to the very end until they got a win out of it. That's what happened. Wins don't have to be beautiful. :)

I think it goes without saying that it's best to peak in March. The way the team is playing, it's hard to see them being at their best without taking a step or two back, and then a few steps forward. We need a wake up call. Otherwise we're treading water and hoping we can stay afloat long enough.

Could very well be true. I did not like how they played today at all. Maybe they overlooked them due to their travel woes. I saw some pretty soft M2M D that we couldn't exploit very well.

Their forwards got the best of ours. How the hell does Washington only average 4pts a game? He was cleary one of the best players on the court. Nice mid-range stuff and same with Warren obviously.

VERY lucky they didn't give Warren the and-1 on the Cooney foul at the end. 50/50 and we have all seen that call go the other way plenty of times. It was the right call but in the heat of the moment it's close. I probably wouldn't have complained much if it went against us.

They all showed up, they just weren't very effective very often. Games like this happen, It's what you do about them that's important, and SU competed to the very end until they got a win out of it. That's what happened. Wins don't have to be beautiful. :)

I saw competing pretty much only towards the end. Did not like this performance at all. Abysmal offense against a soft M2M defense and aided by plenty of easy baskets due to some dumb NC St turnovers. We also had a huge FT advantage and still barely won. Yes, they won but not much to be pleased about, frankly.

Actually, winning close games is the best thing for any team. It's both a learning experience and a confidence builder. Blowout wins are good for confidence but not much else. Losing is good for jackstuff.

They need to lose a game for what? So they don't lose another game? There's no logic there. If you think an undefeated team going into the NCAA tourney would be more focused if they had a loss, you're out of your mind.

We do not need to lose per se, we need to fix the problems. And in my mind the problem is simply the team plays and looks tired, especially wo BMK. We need to bring energy off the bench, TR needs more than 2 minutes. I would like to get a look at Buss - he is very energetic. And, yes, if fixing the problem so we can be better in March means a loss or two now - who cares ?????

Actually, winning close games is the best thing for any team. It's both a learning experience and a confidence builder. Blowout wins are good for confidence but not much else. Losing is good for jackstuff.

They need to lose a game for what? So they don't lose another game? There's no logic there. If you think an undefeated team going into the NCAA tourney would be more focused if they had a loss, you're out of your mind.

That late season tailspin last year prior to BET really did nothing for us, right? :crazy:

image.jpg

That late season tailspin last year prior to BET really did nothing for us, right? :crazy:

wow, you're really a superstitious native, huh? you're suggesting the tailspin was good for us? Just because something happens before something else, doesn't mean it caused that something else.

In fact, you've proved my point. A loss doesn't help anything. Last year it just led to more losses and not a championship.

Actually I think they're just tired from a heavy schedule, the spotlight of being no. 1, a short bench and a lot of draining, close games.

But they're still finding a way to win these games. I'm okay with that. :)
I agree 100% with this statement. Accurate, succinct & to the point!

Only losers think losing is good for you. Ask Bill Walton today if he thinks losing that Notre Dame game was a good thing. I'm glad we can learn just as many lessons by winning than by losing. Let's Go Orange!

wow, you're really a superstitious native, huh? you're suggesting the tailspin was good for us? Just because something happens before something else, doesn't mean it caused that something else.

In fact, you've proved my point. A loss doesn't help anything. Last year it just led to more losses and not a championship.

No, the last Georgetown loss absolutely was a turning point. Sure, nobody wants a tailspin but I suppose I have to spell it out for you. Winning nail biters like in this fashion tonight is not necessarily a good thing. Cowtown could be right, though. The schedule, no bench, etc. could be major factors. But, even Boeheim mentioned tonight that the offense has been bad outside of the Duke game the past month or so.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that if and when we lose, JB will talk about how it was a good thing and now we can "refocus". Some here will call BS, some will accept it at his word. Others will simply call it a political response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom