We NEED to lose | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We NEED to lose

I think it goes without saying that it's best to peak in March. The way the team is playing, it's hard to see them being at their best without taking a step or two back, and then a few steps forward. We need a wake up call. Otherwise we're treading water and hoping we can stay afloat long enough.
Hate that argument, too. We've had enough wake up calls this season. And, we darn well won them wake up calls! Next!

Winning still seems to have many more advantages over losing. Better recruiting for the future, better revenue for SU (programs), better tournament positioning (this can make a big difference - see 2003), higher morale for non-playing bench players (who won't play either way), higher smile/frown and bouncy-bouncy/non-bouncy bouncy ratios for cheerleading squad, etc.

Also, a loss may instantly interrupt/alter the coaching staff's continued practice approach and evolution that's excessive or at least too distracting.

It really does seem true that good things come out of losses, but energy and thought over inevitable setbacks should be reserved for when that actually happens. Regarding the wound-licking and regrouping thing, are loss advocates assuming that Boeheim & Staff aren't adequately working on the team's flaws now? I mean, is the practice court set up with lawn chairs, imported sand, volleyball courts, pina coladas and steel drum bands? People who experience setbacks (I won't get into the REALLY serious stuff) often bounce back - sometimes in incredibly noble and admirable ways. But ask 'em if they would want to experience it all over again just so they could smell some stinkin' bird crap-infused rose. The little things. Little things have their place. Like bronze medals. Coppin State. Mike Lindsley's charisma.

SU has this weird successful run that must drive opposing coaches crazy, and render even the most sophisticated statisticians irrelevant. They'll suck horribly in one aspect (free throws, 3pt. %, defensive rebounding, etc.), then shine in the same category the very next game. What good are averages then? Everyone is left in the dust with whack-a-mole criticisms or reactionary strategies that are out of date.

Disclaimer - I developed this weird hope about 15-20 years ago that Boeheim would retire with a win % of at least .750. Adequate antidote against excessive cupcakeism charges and all that.

Win baby...just win! Especially on April 7, 2014.....April 7th is always a special day in CUSE history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom