We NEED to lose | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We NEED to lose

th

We play to WIN...

I wouldn't completely disrespect and discredit my post when MCW and others last year said that after Georgetown their "refocus" started. I think there is a correlation sure. I don't like the way we are winning and even Boeheim said in that presser last night that he does NOT view this team as 25-0. He said specifically 20-5. Again, I don't want a tailspin at all but I do think a loss or two could help "refocus" the team when it worked last year. You are happy with the offense? It needs quite a bit of work if we're going to win a title no matter how good the defense is, imo. If it takes a loss or two for the improvements to start happening then sign me up.

Who says they are not focused?

Who says they are not focused?

From an offensive standpoint, I do. Last night was horrendous offense and it's not about just missing some shots. NC St. wasn't even milking the clock much and we couldn't get anything going. It's just a trend that we wouldn't want to continue, I would think.

From an offensive standpoint, I do. Last night was horrendous offense and it's not about just missing some shots. NC St. wasn't even milking the clock much and we couldn't get anything going. It's just a trend that we wouldn't want to continue, I would think.

Just because you miss some shots, does not mean you're not focused. What else could they even be thinking about during games?

Just because you miss some shots, does not mean you're not focused. What else could they even be thinking about during games?

Lol. I'm not going to play shrink here. If you can't see wasted possessions due to no plan on offense or failed execution in certain aspects of a play call (my point in the last post) then we're not seeing the same game. It's not all about making shots.

But, I'm also in that fatigue camp. The legs do look tired and it takes lots of energy to run good offense, make shots, make sharp cuts, reads, and simply execute and focus.

I wouldn't completely disrespect and discredit my post when MCW and others last year said that after Georgetown their "refocus" started. I think there is a correlation sure. I don't like the way we are winning and even Boeheim said in that presser last night that he does NOT view this team as 25-0. He said specifically 20-5. Again, I don't want a tailspin at all but I do think a loss or two could help "refocus" the team when it worked last year. You are happy with the offense? It needs quite a bit of work if we're going to win a title no matter how good the defense is, imo. If it takes a loss or two for the improvements to start happening then sign me up.

This is counterintuitive! Seriously if he views them as 20-5 yet we are 25-0 why in the heck would we want to lose? We already had the bad games and will refocus down the stretch like always win or lose. If you are listening to JB he said they don't want to lose any game and it doesn't help with confidence. Just like after the win you go back to work.

I'm not discrediting the post I'm disagreeing and stating it is false that losing helps. What you do after losing is what helps just like what you do after winning. Yes I understand losing can get your attention more than winning but I don't believe this is an attention or working hard issue for this team. Its a mental fatigue and beat to he11 from Pitt issue that resulted in lots of missed shots we usually hit high percentage on. Also we are down 2 rotational bigs and we cannot get into foul trouble which has weakened us on the glass.

As far as disrespect I was simply giving back to you the lack of respect you showed the previous poster with you emocon That is why I put about 4 of them. Plus the Gtown loss was the last in a very bad run I guess it took that team multiple losses to get it or were all the other losses in that stretch also helpful?

This is counterintuitive! Seriously if he views them as 20-5 yet we are 25-0 why in the heck would we want to lose? We already had the bad games and will refocus down the stretch like always win or lose. If you are listening to JB he said they don't want to lose any game and it doesn't help with confidence. Just like after the win you go back to work.

I'm not discrediting the post I'm disagreeing and stating it is false that losing helps. What you do after losing is what helps just like what you do after winning. Yes I understand losing can get your attention more than winning but I don't believe this is an attention or working hard issue for this team. Its a mental fatigue and beat to he11 from Pitt issue that resulted in lots of missed shots we usually hit high percentage on. Also we are down 2 rotational bigs and we cannot get into foul trouble which has weakened us on the glass.

As far as disrespect I was simply giving back to you the lack of respect you showed the previous poster with you emocon That is why I put about 4 of them. Plus the Gtown loss was the last in a very bad run I guess it took that team multiple losses to get it or were all the other losses in that stretch also helpful?

Well, to say it is false is one side of the coin and we can simply disagree. I'm sure many coaches/players take both sides. I think the more pressing issue moving forward the more I think about it is potential fatigue. I mean, nobody plays six guys. Nobody. We need BMK back soon for this tough stretch moving forward and hopefully Roberson gets more minutes. I thought he received a bad pass from Cooney. He could've helped on the boards perhaps at least.

Exactly. I'm sure JB tells them every day they are not 25-0. I be the treats them like they're 20-5 and the players know they should have a couple losses. Whoever thinks being undefeated adds pressure has never played a sport beyond middle school.

I don't think losing a game would turn the light bulb on but rather relieve the pressure of being undefeated. I think having 1 loss going into the NCAA's would be a good thing for this team. If this team were 2012 UK talented then I would say no, win them all. However, its clear that this Cuse team is REALLY good but not GREAT to the point they will mop the floor with anyone they play.

Exactly. I'm sure JB tells them every day they are not 25-0. I be the treats them like they're 20-5 and the players know they should have a couple losses. Whoever thinks being undefeated adds pressure has never played a sport beyond middle school.

Don't be so naive. After every game, coach goes into the locker room with the players and leads them in a chant of "We're #1, We're #1." Except for watching a few of the sweeter dunks, they burn the rest of the game film. Then they debate where they rank among the all-time greatest sports teams ever. Then whoever scored the most points in the game gets to decide if they go out for pizza or ice cream. Then they take a break until the day before the next game when they get together to play HORSE for 45 minutes.

That's why they need to lose. The team is dumb. They don't understand the nuances of basketball like us fans. They don't get that they could have lost many of these games.

Only thing we need to lose, is all the criticism. The team needs the fans' support, they don't need the Orange Nation doubting them. In no way does that help them. It sucked last night to come on here after the game and find 99% negative threads and not much talk about the good things that happened in the game or happening with the program.

The song says to celebrate good times, not complain about them.

I for one, am thankful and appreciate the great memories and good night's sleep this team has provided me with this season.

Only thing we need to lose, is all the criticism. The team needs the fans' support, they don't need the Orange Nation doubting them. In no way does that help them. It sucked last night to come on here after the game and find 99% negative threads and not much talk about the good things that happened in the game or happening with the program.

The song says to celebrate good times, not complain about them.

I for one, am thankful and appreciate the great memories and good night's sleep this team has provided me with this season.
Thank you bro. So very well said.

Complacency is very much seeping in when you beat a middle of the pack acc team by 1 point, at home. Something is clearly wrong if you plan on manking a deep run on the NCAA. Otherwise you're only fooling yourself. If you can't see an issue with beating a team that should be no issues for SU on home court, you're nothing more than an ostrich

You might want to pass this on to Coach K whose complacent Duke team beat a middle of the pack ACC team yesterday by 2 points at home.

Last edited:
We don't need to lose. We need to improve our offense. We need to push the pace and dominate inferior opponents from the opening tip. We need to box out and rebound instead of relying on athleticism.

Actually, I see this team as playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. There is an important difference between the two. It is rarely a good thing to be doing the first, but does have a tendency to happen to teams when they get on a long streak like SU is. I don't think they need to lose. They need to start playing to win.

We don't need to lose. We need to improve our offense. We need to push the pace and dominate inferior opponents from the opening tip. We need to box out and rebound instead of relying on athleticism.
But but but we can do that while losing. Sort of like a double bonus, right?
hahahahahaha, these threads are so strange

I disagree with the need to lose premise. Rather than lose, I'd like to impose our will on a decent team. To me that will bring confidence.

1) We need to play better
2) We need to peak in March

I don't know why we need to lose to accomplish 1 and 2. Tonight gave us a "wake up call" win or lose.

Poppy typically you make legit arguments\statements even if I disagree but this statement is dumb. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. Losing isn't going to help take pressure wearen't playing tight. This teamisn't deep that is more of the problemthan being undefeated and getting nationalcoverage to help with recruiting and brand for SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom