We really, really need a pay side... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We really, really need a pay side...

I would join the pay site out of principle.

This is an independently run site that takes time and money to run and we as fans have a lot of fun here. If the admins decide to ask for a few bucks a month to cover the cost of a writer, provide a little more inside info, etc, I say good for them. They're obviously not trying to get rich and rip people off here, they're just trying to create the best place possible for knuckleheads like us to meet and talk Cuse.

Whoa there chief.

This argument always makes me chuckle. Rivals and Scout were not independent sites. I have no idea if this one is, and I suspect neither do you.

I will concede this argument may have some merit. However, the only time someone here ever referred to the balance sheet was in reference to a site from about four generations ago. CTO said she paid 400 per mo, at one point.

However at this point in time there is no evidence that is still the case. If someone wants or needs money, then they should share some semblance of the balance sheet and mention the type of work that they do here.

I have never asked anyone to moderate a post delete a user ban Stan. Does that count as work? Orange eyes does some neat stuff, but I'm not paying for it. I rarely read it.

I understand that some people care about recruiting information. Personally I don't. But, Yeah let somebody pay for that if they want to.

The argument that a pay board would get rid of the childish users is ridiculous. Some of the people who want the pay side are some of the biggest children on this board. Constantly, and I mean constantly, complaining about negative posts here.

The magic that is this board, that's taken years to create, would not exist if you limited access. IMHO.

And I just love the posters that call people cheap morons because they don't want to pay for this site. Many admins whose work I would be paying for spend a lot of time being Pollyannas, and encouraging people like Dasher. I'm not paying for that.

If people really want to pay money then set up a donation box. Do it with PayPal. Do it tomorrow. Thousands of sites and shareware developers already do this.

Personally, I would pay a certain amount of money maybe four dollars a month for this site if needed. But at least have an admin say why it is needed. Instead you have non-admins saying the admins deserve money for the work they do. Maybe I should show up at these poster's houses and say they need to pay their neighbor money for doing such a good job mowing their own lawn?

Don't come on here and call people morons and then reference some mythical balance sheet and demand our money. The phone company does not make stuff up on my bill, usually.

If people need money, be forthcoming About why. How many hours are spent "working" on this site. What are the data costs? Etc.

The concept is similar to the boogie man we call al qaeda and have wasted billions of dollars to "defend" ourselves against. We can avoid boogie men, feel superior to others, and have a better life when we part with our money and live in an "us and them" paradigm. Also reminds me of the cops who join the force to make up for getting bullied when they were in school.

My recollection of the pay side was that it was a place where people would say they knew the real story but couldn't tell us about it or their sources would never speak to them again. That and a lot of "we might get this guy" posts.

It was a pissing contest of "my source is better than your source"

I believe it was intimated a few weeks ago that a premium board might be by invitation only.

"Fallen to the kids" oh please. There are plenty of "kids" on here who know a lot about this game and whose posts are definitely worth reading. Are there some bad apples? Sure. But there's bad apples with every age group.

Some forums I'm on solve this easily. It's called moderation. By mods.

You post something stupid you get probated for a week (can't post). You post something stupid 3 times, you get banned. Done.

I believe it was intimated a few weeks ago that a premium board might be by invitation only.
What's the prerequisite? You have to be a member at Onondaga CC. What time can the women post on Sundays? Whose doing the selecting? Newt? lol.

What's the prerequisite? You have to be a member at Onondaga CC. What time can the women post on Sundays? Whose doing the selecting? Newt? lol.
If im not invited I am going Guy Fawkes in this mother and Occupying Syracusefan.com

Don't remember reading that

This might have been what I was remembering:

SaintTristan said:
an all-star board for foundational posters? I like it.​
What's the point of a paysite? I suspect it's because people want a "no riff-raff" board where only Cuse fans can see, plus the ability to help defray the cost of the site.

When the new board came about, I proposed a "donation" link. I would certainly donate to the good cause.

That said, I think Tristy hit it right on the head. Rather than the paysite, I'd go with an "invitation only" board. That way, only real Cuse fans/regulars can see or post to this premium area - you have to know someone to get in (i.e. hit a tailgait, another poster vouches for you, etc). Kind of like Drumlins without all of the shanked balls, except when Chip is around.​
Ragman2000, Jan 7, 2012 Report
#90 Like Reply

I gladly wouldn't mind it, if it busied those with the "elitist" attitude elsewhere. Seriously, if some people want to segregate themselves and pay to do so, how much more American can you get? I like diverse perspectives, and letting thoughts win of their own merit, not by appointment. Nature seems to prefer that system as well.

SaintTristan said:
What's the point of a paysite? I suspect it's because people want a "no riff-raff" board where only Cuse fans can see, plus the ability to help defray the cost of the site.
When the new board came about, I proposed a "donation" link. I would certainly donate to the good cause.​
That said, I think Tristy hit it right on the head. Rather than the paysite, I'd go with an "invitation only" board. That way, only real Cuse fans/regulars can see or post to this premium area - you have to know someone to get in (i.e. hit a tailgait, another poster vouches for you, etc). Kind of like Drumlins without all of the shanked balls, except when Chip is around.​
#90 Like Reply
V.I.P. internet board lol...awesomeeeeee

I am in. This board suddenly became silly. It's like a group of sixth graders invaded an took over.

I am in. This board suddenly became silly. It's like a group of sixth graders invaded an took over.

Someone needed to keep those 4th graders that were running the show before in line!

How would a writer be compensated? By salary? By the article? What's the going rate for this stuff?
I wouldn't think it'd be salary, and I also wouldn't think it'd be by article. I would think it'd be by page views for each article. That is how one of the site's I do some writing for operates. I don't think you can do per article since I'd assume we would want (hope) for 2-4 per week.

Also, unrelated, I still stand by the idea that we should develop a podcast for the site. It could be a 30 minute show once a week or so. It'd be a lot of fun.

SaintTristan said:
When the new board came about, I proposed a "donation" link. I would certainly donate to the good cause.​
#90 Like Reply
I am simply stunned that Tristy would be associated with an idea like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom