We should beat Duke | Syracusefan.com

We should beat Duke

We are home and they aren’t good. I’ll be very disappointed if we lose. This is a game where we need to take care of business.

I expect they will double Jesse for 40 minutes anytime he catches the ball. If they don't he should have a huge game. That said everyone else needs to be ready and Jesse needs to be smart. Also have to not give them the top of the arc 3ball. Roach loves that spot.

Their offensive rebounding will cause us fits the entire game. Not a great three point shooting team, but they have 3-4 who can make them. I hope their inexperience with the zone will cause some turnovers and run outs for us.

I expect they will double Jesse for 40 minutes anytime he catches the ball. If they don't he should have a huge game. That said everyone else needs to be ready and Jesse needs to be smart. Also have to not give them the top of the arc 3ball. Roach loves that spot.
I dont know if they will need to double Jesse. Lively has become a decent defender, Bacot struggled against him.

We are home and they aren’t good. I’ll be very disappointed if we lose. This is a game where we need to take care of business.
I don’t agree with “they aren’t good” part.
They are not their usual 1-3 seed good, but they still have some talent on that team. Flip, Lively and Roach are going to be a handful.

I don’t agree with “they aren’t good” part.
They are not their usual 1-3 seed good, but they still have some talent on that team. Flip, Lively and Roach are going to be a handful.
They can’t shoot and they turn it over a bunch.

Their offensive rebounding will cause us fits the entire game. Not a great three point shooting team, but they have 3-4 who can make them. I hope their inexperience with the zone will cause some turnovers and run outs for us.
Coach K never really solved the zone. His game plan was nothing more than threes and lobs. I’m guessing Scheyer’s plan won’t be much different.

I dont know if they will need to double Jesse. Lively has become a decent defender, Bacot struggled against him.

Bacot has good numbers but isn't all that good offensively. He has a small toolkit but is a big body with a decent touch. He still put up 14 and 10 on Lively. Bacot is still a late second rounder as it stands now and doesn't do anything especially good from a pro prospect standpoint.

Lively has definitely improved as a defender but without having an advantage physically, one v one it would be about Jesse more than Lively in terms of getting it done. If Jesse sticks with going with both hands and being patient he would force a double team pretty quickly.

Last edited:
We didn’t get hurt by the lob last night, but Duke has some bigger, athletic bigs that can hurt us. Their two guards are good shooters, along with Flip and Whitehead. They just haven‘t been consistent, just like SU. We did a great job last night keeping State guards from penetrating the zone. We need to do the same against Duke. Whichever team rebounds and make shots will win.

Our defense has gotten better in the last couple of games. Must continue Saturday

They are still a decent team just bc they aren't awesome this year. We, btw, aren't a great team, but we are getting better.

We need to take care of business to keep any glimmer of tourney hope alive.

But they still have more raw talent than we do even if JB can coach circles around Scheyer.

This is going to be a tough one for us. I actually will feel better w/r/t our chances playing them a second time.

Let's hope we win, but we aren't a team that can expect to beat Duke right now, imo.

They are still a decent team just bc they aren't awesome this year. We, btw, aren't a great team, but we are getting better.

We need to take care of business to keep any glimmer of tourney hope alive.

But they still have more raw talent than we do even if JB can coach circles around Scheyer.

This is going to be a tough one for us. I actually will feel better w/r/t our chances playing them a second time.

Let's hope we win, but we aren't a team that can expect to beat Duke right now, imo.
ehhhh. I think you’re buying into HS rankings. They barely got by a dead Notre Dame team last night. Filipowski is good. The rest of those freshmen have not produced. JMO.

Coach K never really solved the zone. His game plan was nothing more than threes and lobs. I’m guessing Scheyer’s plan won’t be much different.
Yep, that and doing it with superior talent.

I mean ... that's the goal. High percentage shots. I will take a team that can execute threes and lobs all day and twice on Sundays.

Filipowski and Jesse could be a fun matchup as long the zebras call it fair. I don't want to see Jesse with 3 quick touch fouls by 12 minutes in and Flip/Lively mauling him with no calls.

Could be the defensive player of the year battle. I think, and I'm probably wrong, that it's a three way battle between Flip, Jesse, and Bacot.

For whatever it is worth, after the games last night, Duke and NC State are right next to each other at Ken Pom, 41 and 42.

Duke definitely isn't great. I'm not even sure they would qualify as good. Fringe top 40. They're better than we are, but that's not saying a whole lot. We are at home, KP says it's a toss up, Duke slight favorite. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Best chance we’ve had to beat Duke in the last 4 or 5 years. Dome needs to be rocking on Saturday
I hope so, last night was probably 1/2 full. Tons of empty seats for a really good game.

Bacot has good numbers but isn't all that good offensively. He has a small toolkit but is a big body with a decent touch. He still put up 14 and 10 on Lively. Bacot is still a late second rounder as it stands now and doesn't do anything especially good from a pro prospect standpoint.

Lively has definitely improved as a defender but without having an advantage physically, one v one it would be about Jesse more than Lively in terms of getting it done. If Jesse sticks with going with both hands and being patient he would force a double team pretty quickly.
Agree on the small toolkit. Based on his reputation, I was quite underwhelmed by Bacot.

For whatever it is worth, after the games last night, Duke and NC State are right next to each other at Ken Pom, 41 and 42.

Duke definitely isn't great. I'm not even sure they would qualify as good. Fringe top 40. They're better than we are, but that's not saying a whole lot. We are at home, KP says it's a toss up, Duke slight favorite. Seems reasonable enough to me.
What's SU?

ehhhh. I think you’re buying into HS rankings. They barely got by a dead Notre Dame team last night. Filipowski is good. The rest of those freshmen have not produced. JMO.

Fair to be critical of them and not playing to the rankings - I agree and am enjoying them wallowing in mediocrity.

I do think that some raw talent/physical attributes will still give us fits, but it's always "F Duke", so let's hope.

Filipowski and Jesse could be a fun matchup as long the zebras call it fair. I don't want to see Jesse with 3 quick touch fouls by 12 minutes in and Flip/Lively mauling him with no calls.

Could be the defensive player of the year battle. I think, and I'm probably wrong, that it's a three way battle between Flip, Jesse, and Bacot.
Woulda, coulda, wish it happened: can you imagine Flip on this team - we would have 4, 5, 6? more wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom