Welcome, from Charlottesville | Syracusefan.com

Welcome, from Charlottesville

wahoodan

Walk On
I was really, really happy when I heard the news about Cuse and Pitt coming to join the ACC. I'm glad the ACC acted first and guaranteed the security of the league. But we didn't only just act; we aimed high and got two fantastic schools with great athletic traditions. Both Pitt and Syracuse bring elite basketball programs along with solid football programs historically. Cuse also adds another great Lacrosse team to the ACC.

I could go on, but basically, there's not much to complain about if you're a fan of an ACC school.

Anyways, I posted this on the basketball board so I might as well talk about hoops. So here's a little rundown of where the conference stands, for whoever may be interested. Obviously Duke and Carolina are on top. That's nothing new. It's been that way for a while and it doesn't look to be changing anytime soon. You probably know, but it is just so frustrating to recruit against them. They constantly steal players from our state (Andre Dawkins, Mike Gbinije, Josh Hairston, James McAdoo, Kendall Marshall...and that's just the current roster). Until other teams can successfully recruit against them head to head, they're not budging from those top 2 spots (although Syracuse will have a better chance than anyone else to do so). As far as the rest of the conference is concerned, don't assume it stay down (as it has the past 5 years or so) for much longer. Almost every non-Duke/UNC team in the league has a very bright future. New(er) coaches such as our Tony Bennett, Mark Turgeon, Mark Gottfried, Jim Larranaga, Steve Donahue, and Brad Brownell should all take their teams to the next level. Recruiting in the league is about as good as it ever has been, with teams like UVA, VT, Maryland, NCSU, and FSU starting to consistently pull in top 25 ranked classes. Like I said, the league shouldn't stay down for long. That why the addition of Cuse and Pitt is so exciting. It makes the ACC so much more dominant than any other conference. The ACC tournament will take the place of the Big East Tournament as the most sensational and thrilling conference tourney. Essentially, we're on the path to becoming what the Big East has been over the past 5-10 years; thus reclaiming our spot as the best basketball conference around.

Once again welcome. We're all glad to have you...actually, maybe not so much Duke and Carolina...they don't like challenges :)

I'd be happy to answer any ?'s

Thanks for the welcome. A couple of notes. Don't be sure about UNC/Duke just staying on top, particularly if UCONN and ND come in. One of the things UNC/DOOK had going for them was the huge drop of in talent when they played the other conference teams. If they didn't bring it each night, it was not a big deal. They would win on talent.
When you add 2-3 (including UCONN) other great programs and another (ND) that is better than all the other ACC schools, that conference journey just got tougher. IF the style of play in the ACC slides toward the style of play in the BE, Duke and UNC will need to adapt. They will still have great talent, but Roy has been known to coach below his talent level.
With all due respect to our southern partners and the great tradition that is the ACC tournament, until it is held in MSG, it will NEVER be what the BE tournament has been. NEVER!!!
Its like saying a game in Camden Yards (which I love) or the Nationals Stadium in October is just as electrifying as one in Yankee Stadium. Even hating the Yanks as I do, (see, we already have something in common, I can tell), nothing will ever match being in Yankee Stadium.
If you have never been to either, it is hard to explain. You just feel the history and the electricity when you walk into the park. It carries the crowd from there. Gmac's run or the 6 OT game would have been great anywhere else; they were magic in the Garden. Let's hope Swafford can get the Carolina contingent to agree.
As a side note, I KNOW the denizens of NY would love to wlecome the Miami dance team back to MSG.

I didn't mean it would equal or come close to the recent years of the BE tourney...those would be nearly impossible. Just meant it would take over as "the" conference tourney. Sorry for that.

I also agree on your point about Duke and UNC. I think, for now, it's hard for me to picture an ACC without Duke and Carolina on top. That's not to say they won't finish 1-2 every single year, just that they will always be "up there". It does mean they will have to bring it more often and can't afford those off nights. You're right about Roy. We about as injured and as young as we have ever been when we played them this year, and yet we still outplayed them and should have won. That game was embarrassing for them. They will not be able to afford those kind of performances anymore.

Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to get started. Any thoughts on what divisional set up you prefer? Are there any teams you can't live without, or any you would prefer to stay away from?

Thanks for the welcome. A couple of notes. Don't be sure about UNC/Duke just staying on top, particularly if UCONN and ND come in. One of the things UNC/DOOK had going for them was the huge drop of in talent when they played the other conference teams. If they didn't bring it each night, it was not a big deal. They would win on talent.
When you add 2-3 (including UCONN) other great programs and another (ND) that is better than all the other ACC schools, that conference journey just got tougher. IF the style of play in the ACC slides toward the style of play in the BE, Duke and UNC will need to adapt

I think Duke and UNC are pretty much always going to be at the top. (Certainly as long as Coach K and Roy are there). The ACC has been a great conference for a long time, and those two are always at the top. Not saying they're 1-2 every year, but int he mix.

Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to get started. Any thoughts on what divisional set up you prefer? Are there any teams you can't live without, or any you would prefer to stay away from?

Well ideally, we would like to keep it at 14 and just add Pitt and Cuse each to the Coastal/Atlantic. If we have to go to 16, we really don't want UConn or Rutgers. We would be shafted if they made a North/South because we would have to be in the North. We would feel out of place in the North (not only for crossing the Mason-Dixon line :)) but also because we wouldn't be with our typical ACC opponents. The ACC is such a big part of UVA, that it would feel weird to be in a division with Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers/ND, UConn, Maryland, BC, and VT.

I think it will be 16, but I really, really hope they don't do N/S divisions.

Thanks for the welcome also. As long as the other ACC teams (and particularly the officials) realize the the main reason the BE got to the top was because they provided a kickass, physical style of play to the collegiate level.
That's what every kid coming out of high school dreams about. Pitt, SU and hopefully Uconn & Louisville will do our part to provide that so it's now time for the ACC to transform it's image from soft to hard.

Well ideally, we would like to keep it at 14 and just add Pitt and Cuse each to the Coastal/Atlantic. If we have to go to 16, we really don't want UConn or Rutgers. We would be shafted if they made a North/South because we would have to be in the North. We would feel out of place in the North (not only for crossing the Mason-Dixon line :)) but also because we wouldn't be with our typical ACC opponents. The ACC is such a big part of UVA, that it would feel weird to be in a division with Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers/ND, UConn, Maryland, BC, and VT.

I think it will be 16, but I really, really hope they don't do N/S divisions.

They could remedy that by making the 'North' a true Big East division by putting Miami in there replacing UVA, having only MD as the non-BE school. And if Miami is unhappy, make one of their cross-over games a permanent game vs. FSU. That assumes 9 conference games. If only 8, then Miami's only cross-over would be FSU. Work?

They could remedy that by making the 'North' a true Big East division by putting Miami in there replacing UVA, having only MD as the non-BE school. And if Miami is unhappy, make one of their cross-over games a permanent game vs. FSU. That assumes 9 conference games. If only 8, then Miami's only cross-over would be FSU. Work?

I actually think that could be the way they go. They want to keep Miami and FSU split anyway. Put Miami in the North, drop Virginia down so you end up with Miami, SU, Pitt, BC, Maryland, UConn, ND/Rutgers, and VaTech. Just like the old days, only better. The South would be the old ACC: Duke, Carolina, FSU, Virginia, Clemson, GaTech, Wake, and NCState. It would be the weaker Football division, but the old ACC schools really don't care.

I just don't see the ACC doing that, especially if ND comes on board. More likely it will be:

North

BC
UConn
ND/Rutgers (looking more and more like ND)
Maryland
Miami
Pitt
Syracuse
Virginia

South

Clemson
Duke
Florida St.
GaTech
UNC
NCState
VaTech
Wake

LAX
Syracuse
Duke
Virgnia
UNC
Maryland
ND

WOW!!!!

I actually think that could be the way they go. They want to keep Miami and FSU split anyway. Put Miami in the North, drop Virginia down so you end up with Miami, SU, Pitt, BC, Maryland, UConn, ND/Rutgers, and VaTech. Just like the old days, only better. The South would be the old ACC: Duke, Carolina, FSU, Virginia, Clemson, GaTech, Wake, and NCState. It would be the weaker Football division, but the old ACC schools really don't care.

I just don't see the ACC doing that, especially if ND comes on board. More likely it will be:

North

BC
UConn
Maryland
Miami
Pitt
Syracuse
Virginia

South

Clemson
Duke
Florida St.
GaTech
UNC
NCState
VaTech
Wake

LAX
Syracuse
Duke
Virgnia
UNC
Maryland
ND

WOW!!!!

Outside of Pitt and UCon, none of the other teams in that proposed division excite me as opponents, just a lot of boring, mediocre teams. Then again, outside of Duke and UNC, I pretty much see the teams in the other division that way too. We all understand why this had to happen, but we all need to be ready to take a step down in the caliber of competition compared to what we've been used to.

Just found this board from the old Scout forums.

1st...Welcome to the ACC
2nd... You will know and despise these two names well: Ron Cherry & Karl Hess

I hope the ACC gets rid of all its current referees and raids the BE for their refs

North

BC
UConn
Maryland
Miami
Pitt
Syracuse
Virginia

South

Clemson
Duke
Florida St.
GaTech
UNC
NCState
VaTech
Wake

LAX
Syracuse
Duke
Virgnia
UNC
Maryland
ND

WOW!!!!

I'll be shocked if any non old line ACC schools end up in the "South" division unless it's FSU and I don't expect MD to willingly go "North".

Well, having an ACC division of BC, UConn, ND/Rutgers, Maryland, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse, and Virginia is about as close to being in the old Big East as you can get. Correction, add Virginia Tech instead of Virginia, then it's very close to an all-old Big East division (when BC, Miami, and VT were in the BE). Will likely never happen, but interesting nonetheless.

Just found this board from the old Scout forums.

1st...Welcome to the ACC
2nd... You will know and despise these two names well: Ron Cherry & Karl Hess

I hope the ACC gets rid of all its current referees and raids the BE for their refs

If they took the BE refs you would learn to hate Higgins and Burr. Ugh...soo much hatred for them.

Outside of Pitt and UCon, none of the other teams in that proposed division excite me as opponents, just a lot of boring, mediocre teams. Then again, outside of Duke and UNC, I pretty much see the teams in the other division that way too. We all understand why this had to happen, but we all need to be ready to take a step down in the caliber of competition compared to what we've been used to.

Don't be so sure about thinking of Maryland as a boring, mediocre team. Their new coach (Mark Turgeon) shows great promise and is a top recruiter. Three years from now the Terps may once again become a force to be reckoned with. And I say that as a Tar Heel fan, not a Maryland fan. The fact that Turgeon was an assistant under Roy Williams back in Kansas days takes some of the sting out of saying this.

Frankly I look forward to the ACC hopefully returning to the days when we were unquestionably the #1 conference in basketball. There were a number of fabulous teams in the 70s and 80s (Carolina, NC State, dook, Virginia with Ralph Sampson, Maryland with Lefty Driesell, even Wake Forest was occasionally dangerous in those days).

If the ACC gets up to 16 (and that seems like where it's headed) I have also heard the four team pod system being tossed around as an idea for basketball for traveling purposes. Teams play the other three teams in their geographic pod a home and away, and then play every other team in the conference once for an 18 game conference schedule. Evidently it has been tried before to mixed results, but not in a conference as successful as the ACC. Anyway, just throwing that out there as another possibility concerning scheduling.

I agree with the OP about some of the young coaches in the ACC coming up. I particularly like where Maryland, Virginia, and Clemson seem to be headed. Virginia has signed some really good underrated talent for 2012. I really think that class will make a big impact moving forward (I've seen Justin Anderson play and came away super impressed). Turgeon will be better at Maryland by virtue of having a 100% better work rate than Gary Williams did at the end and by being near DC, Baltimore, and near the aforementioned Virginia gold mine of talent. Brownell just seems to be a really good in-game coach. If only he could teach their fans how to read, you could be having this discussion with Clemson fans.

I think the extra competition will help the league, just as it did the BE. Carolina and dook have had to up their recruiting game just to keep up with each other. Having this infusion of better teams, coaches, and programs will only make the ACC step it up a little bit more. It should be fun once all the games get started.

If the ACC gets up to 16 (and that seems like where it's headed) I have also heard the four team pod system being tossed around as an idea for basketball for traveling purposes. Teams play the other three teams in their geographic pod a home and away, and then play every other team in the conference once for an 18 game conference schedule. Evidently it has been tried before to mixed results, but not in a conference as successful as the ACC. Anyway, just throwing that out there as another possibility concerning scheduling.

I agree with the OP about some of the young coaches in the ACC coming up. I particularly like where Maryland, Virginia, and Clemson seem to be headed. Virginia has signed some really good underrated talent for 2012. I really think that class will make a big impact moving forward (I've seen Justin Anderson play and came away super impressed). Turgeon will be better at Maryland by virtue of having a 100% better work rate than Gary Williams did at the end and by being near DC, Baltimore, and near the aforementioned Virginia gold mine of talent. Brownell just seems to be a really good in-game coach. If only he could teach their fans how to read, you could be having this discussion with Clemson fans.

I think the extra competition will help the league, just as it did the BE. Carolina and dook have had to up their recruiting game just to keep up with each other. Having this infusion of better teams, coaches, and programs will only make the ACC step it up a little bit more. It should be fun once all the games get started.

"Brownell just seems to be a really good in-game coach. If only he could teach their fans how to read, you could be having this discussion with Clemson fans."

^ LOL.

I'll be shocked if any non old line ACC schools end up in the "South" division unless it's FSU and I don't expect MD to willingly go "North".

The problem they are going to have is balance. If you place all the old school ACC teams in the South division, that would make the North division the heavier side in terms of football strength. FSU would be the only money team in the South.

Don't be so sure about thinking of Maryland as a boring, mediocre team. Their new coach (Mark Turgeon) shows great promise and is a top recruiter. Three years from now the Terps may once again become a force to be reckoned with. And I say that as a Tar Heel fan, not a Maryland fan. The fact that Turgeon was an assistant under Roy Williams back in Kansas days takes some of the sting out of saying this.

Frankly I look forward to the ACC hopefully returning to the days when we were unquestionably the #1 conference in basketball. There were a number of fabulous teams in the 70s and 80s (Carolina, NC State, dook, Virginia with Ralph Sampson, Maryland with Lefty Driesell, even Wake Forest was occasionally dangerous in those days).

We can speculate all day on which once great programs are going to turn it around and become good again, but in the meantime Maryland has taken a hard nosedive since winning the national title a decade ago. Meanwhile we've been accustomed to playing in a conference that has seen four different programs make the Final 4 and eight different programs in the Sweet 16 in the last 5 seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom