Well respected musicians that you think "suck" | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Well respected musicians that you think "suck"

There's a dude in U2 that refers to himself as "The Edge"?! I didn't think I could hate U2 any more because of the Bono reasons pointed out by many of you folks, but that did it.
Well, if Paul David Hewson , err I mean Bono, did it, why not? I guess David Howell Evans, was up for the change. Paul n Dave. Hah.

Interestingly, Prince and Madonna? Those were their real first names. Obviously, rap names are made up.

John Mayer

By all accounts, a world class dbag and womanizer. Don't think he's a rascist, but rascist comments have been attributed to him.

His sticky sweet ballads have the ladies dreamy eyed, but so not for me.

Switching channels one day, I saw him playing some blues with buddy guy. My mouth hit the floor. He's an incredible guitarist. Fantastic. It's like he's designed his career to be the perfect date movie.(ex. Love story involving sports). He'll rip one out for the guys, and follow with a sticky sweet, that have the gents running for the doors. I like the former, and throw up in my mouth a little, on the latter.

This thread has me thinking that the tickets to Dead and Company I got you for Christmas were a bad idea . . . :oops:

This thread has me thinking that the tickets to Dead and Company I got you for Christmas were a bad idea . . . :oops:
It's the thought that counts..;-)

FWIW. That could actually be an interesting show. (if a Dead fan, of course) Even if you aren't high. Besides the drug culture, the knock was that Gerry's solo's were often random pecked notes, with the envelope filter(not so much the player) giving the vibe. Great, if you like that stuff. Mayer is far more capable, even if he has a white supremacist member. I'll have to youtube a few of those, before I pass judgement. Genuinely curious.

It's the thought that counts..;-)

FWIW. That could actually be an interesting show. (if a Dead fan, of course) Even if you aren't high. Besides the drug culture, the knock was that Gerry's solo's were often random pecked notes, with the envelope filter(not so much the player) giving the vibe. Great, if you like that stuff. Mayer is far more capable, even if he has a white supremacist member. I'll have to youtube a few of those, before I pass judgement. Genuinely curious.

Not to derail your thread anymore than it has been but did you hear John changed the name of his appendage from David Duke to Richard Spencer? Ken Burns is filming a documentary about it called "The Blue Balls and the Grey." John Mayer is uncircumcised because his dick needed the hood. I'll be here all week, tip your waitress.

Last edited:
Couple Random Dead thoughts...

If memory serves... Woodstock was a cluster F. They were one of the few bands that would not play, until they saw the $$$. I think a man deserves every red cent, for a job, well done(and sometimes, more). Although, what they publicly professed(or at least their fans did), they were the complete opposite, behind the scenes...

Also. In the 90's they had a Tie collection. A businessman's Tie collection. Yeah. They did.

When a man stands behind his convictions, with actions, I respect him. Even when I whole heartedly disagree with his premise, I realize his situation was probably different than mine,but also deserves respect. When a man publicly professes one thing, and does another? I'm out. Couple reasons, why the Dead were hard for me. (besides the music)

Not to derail your thread anymore than it has been but did you hear John changed the name of his appendage from David Duke to Richard Spencer? Ken Burns is filming a documentary about it called "The Blue Balls and the Grey." John Mayer is uncircumcised because his dick needed the hood. I'll be here all week, tip your waitress.

Derail away... I laughed my ass off. ;-) The thread title was more of a warning, that we may tear apart your favorite band, and they will be fair game. I genuinely enjoy music lovers, vastly different opinions. I find what they can't stand, far more interesting. Those civil conversations are compelling. Questioning conformity is always fun... And I officially just sounded like a d bag..

Have at it.

Loved your clip. What up with white boys playing the blues? For probably 100 years, it was a singular culture thing. Many of the blues shows I've gone to, are filled with 60 - 70 year old white men. Does it take that long for white people to catch on? Sheesh. I often wonder, if 30 years from now, we're gonna see old white guys busting rhymes, and dropping the mic..What a screwed up process. If history repeats itself? You can can count on it. That, and John Mayer's racist penis will be there, trying to pick up the scraps.

Last edited:
Derail away... I laughed my ass off. ;-) The thread title was more of a warning, that we may tear apart your favorite band, and they will be fair game. I genuinely enjoy music lovers, vastly different opinions. I find what they can't stand, far more interesting. Those civil conversations are compelling. Questioning conformity is always fun... And I officially just sounded like a d bag..

Have at it.

Loved your clip. What up with white boys playing the blues? For probably 100 years, it was a singular culture thing. Many of the blues shows I've gone to, are filled with 60 - 70 year old white men. Does it take that long for white people to catch on? Sheesh. I often wonder, if 30 years from now, we're gonna see old white guys busting rhymes, and dropping the mic..What a screwed up process. If history repeats itself? You can can count on it. That, and John Mayer's racist penis will be there, trying to pick up the scraps.

There's a dude in U2 that refers to himself as "The Edge"?! I didn't think I could hate U2 any more because of the Bono reasons pointed out by many of you folks, but that did it.
I just saw U2 live. The Edge most definitely plays more than a few notes. Lol. Tha5 dude jams.

johnny cash, the zelig of country music.
rockabilly is big? he surfaces as a rockabilly original.
rockabilly fades and countrypolitan dominates nashville? surprise, cash is countrypolitan.
spiritual is the new thing? he's there.
he makes a couple of prison albums and tries to ingratiate himself to the cons by pretending he is one of them, just lucky to be on the outside (which is complete bs; he's nothing more than a square john with an occasional - and mild - substance problem)
the outlaw movement takes over - suddenly cash is paling around with waylon & willie & the boys.
in a genre where authenticity is supposed to be essential, he was the ultimate poseur.

out of his immense catalog, there are maybe half a dozen good songs.

as a song writer, billy joe shaver mastered all of those various sub-genres - and lived them, as well. cash has 10,000x the fame of billy joe, but less than 1/10th the talent and less than 1/1000th the authenticity.

Why is Nirvana held in such high regard? Kurt was a mopey, barely talented heroin junkie mumbling nonsense lyrics in a smack-induced stupor. The one lyric his fans could understand turned out to be a lie. He did have a gun. What, too soon?

I came here to say Nirvana. Completely overrated. I thought almost every other popular band of that era/style was much better than them.

People love to make martyrs over that tortured soul stuff when they unfortunately pass away, and act like their music was way more important than it actually was.

rockabilly fades and countrypolitan dominates nashville? surprise, cash is countrypolitan.
he makes a couple of prison albums and tries to ingratiate himself to the cons by pretending he is one of them, just lucky to be on the outside (which is complete bs; he's nothing more than a square john with an occasional - and mild - substance problem)
the outlaw movement takes over - suddenly cash is paling around with waylon & willie & the boys.
in a genre where authenticity is supposed to be essential, he was the ultimate poseur.

as a song writer, billy joe shaver mastered all of those various sub-genres - and lived them, as well. cash has 10,000x the fame of billy joe, but less than 1/10th the talent and less than 1/1000th the authenticity.

Well done.
you-may-be-high-but-youll-never-be-johnny-cash-4054732.png

Steely Dan.

I have many musician friends, whose opinions I trust, and they tell me these guys are phenomenal. I wouldn't know. I've never been able to get through a song. Maybe I'm missing out. I may not ever be able, unless someone ties me down, and brain washes me clockwork Orange style... Have zero hate for them, just can't listen long enough to know.

The name is interesting. Copied from google:
Fans of Beat Generation literature, Fagen and Becker named the band after "Steely Dan III from Yokohama", an oversized, steam-powered strap-on dildo mentioned in the William S. Burroughs novel Naked Lunch.
Then you must love 10cc and Lovin' Spoonful.

I came here to say Nirvana. Completely overrated. I thought almost every other popular band of that era/style was much better than them.

People love to make martyrs over that tortured soul stuff when they unfortunately pass away, and act like their music was way more important than it actually was.

Love em/hate em. The hair band years were torture, for many. If some weird Japanese, anime pop band came along, and made hairbands "uncool"? I would have been grateful for that, too.

Majority was ready to move on. Nirvana filled that hole. General curiosity. What other bands of that style/era, were you referring to? Nirvana wasn't one of my favs, but I rather enjoy the style.

You a country guy? I'll have to give Billy Joe shaver a listen.

I used to hate Johnny Cash, too. When I got older, I heard a few tunes I didn't know, and was like, damn... Really hit a cord.

Had no idea he was glomming on to whatever was popular. Thanks for that. No wonder you can't stand him.

*Disclaimer. I'm a rock/college/alt/punk/post punk/funk/afro jazz/blues/straight up filth lover... Country never made the list. Cash managed to cross over to some of that crowd, wheras other country artists could not. I don't turn off Johnny Cash

Love em/hate em. The hair band years were torture, for many. If some weird Japanese, anime pop band came along, and made hairbands "uncool"? I would have been grateful for that, too.

Majority was ready to move on. Nirvana filled that hole. General curiosity. What other bands of that style/era, were you referring to? Nirvana wasn't one of my favs, but I rather enjoy the style.

I definitely get your point to where they were the first so called “grunge” band to get really popular in that era, which led to a whole different era. Curious if you think it would’ve happened anyway and they just happened to get big first? Regardless, they deserve credit for that. I just never really cared for them, and historically I think they are overrated by many.

I liked Pearl Jam and Live quite a bit back then. Enjoyed some of Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains well enough.

I used to hate Johnny Cash, too. When I got older, I heard a few tunes I didn't know, and was like, damn... Really hit a cord.

Had no idea he was glomming on to whatever was popular. Thanks for that. No wonder you can't stand him.

*Disclaimer. I'm a rock/college/alt/punk/post punk/funk/afro jazz/blues/straight up filth lover... Country never made the list. Cash managed to cross over to some of that crowd, wheras other country artists could not. I don't turn off Johnny Cash
my interests are pretty broad. my favorite artists of all time are waylon jennings, charles mingus, and the cramps. i played (at) bass in a cowpunk band in college, but lately i've settled into a dad rock groove - e.g., john hiatt/dave alvin/fred eaglesmith/joe ely

my interests are pretty broad. my favorite artists of all time are waylon jennings, charles mingus, and the cramps. i played (at) bass in a cowpunk band in college, but lately i've settled into a dad rock groove - e.g., john hiatt/dave alvin/fred eaglesmith/joe ely
I think Dave Alvin - Interstate City is one of the best live albums ever recorded - there are many gems on it.. still sounds great after 20 years.

give waylon jennings' "honky tonk heroes" a spin. one of the 5 best country albums ever & every song written by billy joe

I definitely get your point to where they were the first so called “grunge” band to get really popular in that era, which led to a whole different era. Curious if you think it would’ve happened anyway and they just happened to get big first? Regardless, they deserve credit for that. I just never really cared for them, and historically I think they are overrated by many.

I liked Pearl Jam and Live quite a bit back then. Enjoyed some of Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains well enough.

To answer, was Nirvana just the first to get big, or would it have happened, anyway.

The US music industry, is more about everything staying the same, and resistance to change. Why small independent labels exist. The decent bands you mentioned, were more of the slow natural progression away from the hairband period. Similar tones, but gone were the cheesy vox, more attention to integrity, and grit.(Alice in chains was initially a glam metal band. Re-formed, and started off trying to sound like sound garden...they were dubbed "kinder garden" in Seattle...cracked me up)

Nirvana was more of a 180 degree shift. Don't think anyone else could have done it, in the US. Take the Pixies(1987). U2 took them on tour, because everyone was talking about them in Europe. Bowie dubbed them, the most important U.S. band in 20 years... Too different for U.S. success.(although , their 1st reunion tour grossed more than the eagles reunion tour- all without air play.)

Nirvana managed to bring the reckless abandon, previously only available in punk, and some how, made it accessible. They managed to make it off of MTV's 120 minutes, into regular rotation. Also made it ok to be different, and pryed open the doors for bands like rhcp, Jane's addiction, pumpkins, etc...

Don't recall if I ever owned a Nirvana album. I agreed with Cobain, that when asked about some songs, he said, "it was , for all the world, a Pixies song". What I liked about them, was that they slammed the door shut, on the hair band era.

No offense to hair band guys. So many of the later bands were so bad, that many could no longer stand the decent ones.

Meatloaf
Bat out of hell was awesome.
I remember girls getting so liquored up, in college , to that one, and singing along. It always made for a good night. Was it the gals? The booze? Meatloaf? Never cared why. Still don't.;-)

Dave Alvin. One of the most criminally underappreciated singer/songwriters there is. If you played in a cowpunk band, you probably were into Jason & The Scorchers. Damn, that was some hot stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom