Wendell Carter's mom is cuckoo for cocoa puffs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wendell Carter's mom is cuckoo for cocoa puffs

I don't think that's correct. SU is NFP. The costs and revenue each year add up to zero ... with the tuition at current levels. You may not place that value on an SU education .. that's a different issue. But the numbers are what they are.

If the university decides to add 12 new students and filter them across programs, it does not cost the university $600,000 to do that. (assuming tuition is $50K).

Ex-Duke star's mom: NCAA rules like slavery

Say what you want about the NCAA, but comparing college basketball to slavery is just wrong; and severely minimizes and trivializes it's (slavery's) impact on millions of people.

I’ll post more thoughts later but let’s start with this: if you want to take a stand against the current state of college athletics, fine. Just do it with a premise that doesn’t undermine your entire argument from the start while also cheapening the devestating impact of the entire history of human bondage. It’s brutally bad.

First, the title of this thread is embarrassing. It should be changed and this should be moved to the OT board.

I'm not going to expound on this topic because it's shaping up to be one of the more embarrassing for this board.

I don’t know why people are going down the money hole. Unless she’s lying she said it wasn’t about paying players. She went on and on about education support and what sounded like educating players about the one and done process.
she said things like paying w education and making sure the kids get it. how are schools supposed to do that w one and dones ? did she not like academic support at duke ? if it was better would wendell stay and degree.....right.

she also seemed ambivalent on paying kids, by saying on one hand it helps, but on the other it destroys faster.

all in all, i am not sure what she wants.

sounded like a lot of complaining and no positive suggestions.

If the university decides to add 12 new students and filter them across programs, it does not cost the university $600,000 to do that. (assuming tuition is $50K).
You're talking wholesale. The fact is that Duke CHARGES students $72,710 to be a full time student and live and eat on campus (can argue about expenses but not worth the argument). Therefore, when Duke does NOT charge an athlete on scholarship they are "losing" $72,710 from the top line.

You're talking wholesale. The fact is that Duke CHARGES students $72,710 to be a full time student and live and eat on campus (can argue about expenses but not worth the argument). Therefore, when Duke does NOT charge an athlete on scholarship they are "losing" $72,710 from the top line.
Athletic departments pay the school the cost of the students attendance. Duke loses nothing.

Athletic departments pay the school the cost of the students attendance. Duke loses nothing.
The point is the Carter's didn't pay jackstuff and "regular" students do! That is value received by the Carter's regardless of the ledger transactions to keep track of it by the university.

She talks like her son was used. Maybe. But some of these kids, like hers, use the schools to in order to get to the nba as fast as possible. I’m also confused by her complaints about academic advisors. These kids get that in spades.

Let's be honest, we know there any many athletes all over the country that get into colleges they'd otherwise never get into if they weren't a great basketball, football player etc. I have no idea what kind of student Carter is/was, but let's have a reality check. The system works both ways.

Duke should cut its basketball program, have 12 kids pay for their education, and they will be $850,000 richer.

Subsidizing their other championships would be my guess.
Also pay ridiculous salaries for the people in charge. Emmert makes 7 figures that doesn’t subsidize other sports.
I am sure the money goes to other sports without the ability to make money but these people who work for the NCAA are stealing money IMO.
Administrators that aren’t necessary and way overpaid.

Then let the ones who do make money off their celebrity.

Yes i agree (i realize now my opinion wasn't totally clear). For the vast majority of student-athletes the situation is adequate. For the truly elite athletes the millions of people watch...they don't get the market value of their talent.

I read the article, and I should have read it before I got thrown off about compensation and replied to that. This is not really her point here. She is talking about the value of education. And the NCAA does many things to make it harder for a kid to get an education, the system encourages limiting education.

It's unfortunate the article led with slavery and she talked about too, because some of her points are valid.

Like all crazy arguments, there is just enough truth in what she is saying to be listened to. The problem is she has it upside down. She’s right that, (paraphrasing) if the compensation is education, why aren’t kids allowed to pursue their education more fully. I agree with that. There are too many games, too many commitments pulling kids away from their studies. Too many degrees that are legitimate in appearance only. Little to prepare these kids for life as a productive contributor to society with a legitimate shot at success. Unfortunately, this will always be true as long as (a) The schools are making tons of money, and (b) the players, their parents, their friends et
al all value the slim chance of playing professionally more than a quality education.

Holy crap, if we cared this much about the salary of joe schmo working for company X with annual multi billion dollar profits, there'd be a lot of people getting raises. These guys getting compensated by way of tuition, room, board, etc. while essentially trying out for an NBA job is plenty. What is this world coming to where it's wrong for 18-19 yr olds to exercise a little, very little, delayed gratification?

Like all crazy arguments, there is just enough truth in what she is saying to be listened to. The problem is she has it upside down. She’s right that, (paraphrasing) if the compensation is education, why aren’t kids allowed to pursue their education more fully. I agree with that. There are too many games, too many commitments pulling kids away from their studies. Too many degrees that are legitimate in appearance only. Little to prepare these kids for life as a productive contributor to society with a legitimate shot at success. Unfortunately, this will always be true as long as (a) The schools are making tons of money, and (b) the players, their parents, their friends et
al all value the slim chance of playing professionally more than a quality education.
I don't know about that. These schools set up tutoring programs and have academic centers set up specifically for athletes that give them access to more assistance than "regular" students. Are their schedules full? Absolutely. But tell that to the classmate working a job or two and paying tuition. The biggest difference between the two is that the one writing checks has a greater appreciation than the one getting something in exchange to play the game they played for free on a playground from the time they were a kid.

His education did not cost the University $72,710, nor are students subsidizing that cost as you had said recently. If they had paid cash of $72,710 that is compensation.

The real cost to the university of adding 13 additional people to the university is a mere fraction of $72K per student. The variable costs of adding a student to the campus are not that large.

That being said while I am anti NCAA when it comes to certain matters it is not slavery either and it is absurd to compare it to slavery. Doesn't mean it is fair, but not slavery.

If you want compare it to something that frightens some Americans, it is communism. All student athletes receive the same thing no matter what they generate for a university,

the value is the value. that doesnt change anything. he picked duke in large part because of their outstanding education. (his other choice was harvard). the got $72,710 value out of going to duke.

He also got unlimited food, a dietitian, an athletic trainer, free coaching, tons in free marketing, fame, and spending money.

i agree with you its absurd to compare it to slavery or prison. i agree with you that it can and should be improved.

We all know there are plenty of issues with major college sports fueled by all the TV & sneaker money.
But people throw around words like "slavery" or (in other contexts) "Nazi" WAAAAAYY to easily.
It cheapens the language and makes it easier for people to forget what those words (and the institutions) really mean.

Slaves got free food... free room and board... free education and the like. not so very different
You cannot be serious.

Unless my education was revisionist history and slaves went on to obtain degrees and some, if fortunate like Wendel, multimillion dollar careers.

Assume for a moment all her arguments are correct.

1. Feeling the way she feels, why did she allow him to go to Duke?
2. Why didn't she insist that he stay in whatever school he attended and not be a one and done? Did I miss something that said K was throwing him out or is he leaving of his own accord?
3. Why didn't she insist he take classes that were meaningful?

When it comes to elite players, both sides are using the other. We can have an endless debate about who gets more out of it.

Holy crap, if we cared this much about the salary of joe schmo working for company X with annual multi billion dollar profits, there'd be a lot of people getting raises. These guys getting compensated by way of tuition, room, board, etc. while essentially trying out for an NBA job is plenty. What is this world coming to where it's wrong for 18-19 yr olds to exercise a little, very little, delayed gratification?
If a lot of people got raises, then a lot of retirees would get less money, because many have their retirement funds invested in mutual funds and other accounts, or stocks themselves, which rely on stock dividends. There is no one size fits all.

So I read the entire story and aside from being disgusted with the slavery comparison, I had a few other thoughts:

1. The point that education is clearly a secondary concern not only for the coaches and programs but for the universities is valid. I've long argued that one thing these schools should do is try and push for a complete collegiate experience. Try to get these kids an opportunity to travel (I don't know why the NCAA wouldn't allow these teams to do an international trip every summer, for example. why not?) Allow/encourage the kids to do paid internships within their chosen field of study. Do away with admissions requirements in exchange for actually trying to work with whatever kids you bring in to make as much academic progress as they can toward a college degree. Anyway, whatever those changes are, it would seem to be a good thing. The issue, of course, is not everyone would ever get on board with that.

2. Her broader point of it being a system that is set up to take advantage of the players, particularly black players, but not necessarily in terms of paying players, is hard to understand, IMO. It would seem to me that some of that is on the player to take advantage of the opportunity and education he's being presented with.

3. If her major concern is the education her son is leaving behind, why didn't he just stay and try to knock out the degree in three years? I mean, we all know it would be a strange financial decision but it's a legitimate option, right?

The point is the Carter's didn't pay jackstuff and "regular" students do! That is value received by the Carter's regardless of the ledger transactions to keep track of it by the university.
Plus, I am sure he got a car and some side cash.