Wendell Carter's mom is cuckoo for cocoa puffs | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wendell Carter's mom is cuckoo for cocoa puffs

Slaves got free food... free room and board... free education and the like. not so very different

funny-cat-animal-paw-stop-posting-now-pics.jpg

It is slavery. And the fact that it is mostly black kids that make the NBA, makes it even more blatant. And IMO designed to be racist (1951).

Right now you have almost no choice but to go to college in order to make the NBA. All these other "options" like Europe for an 18 year old are outrageous and I lose respect for anybody that makes it seem like they have other options (and there's plenty of you). Everybody around you is making millions off your name, your game, and your likeness including the guy who yells at you from the sideline everyday.

Meanwhile you are given a scholarship which is worth almost nothing to the university, ESPECIALLY compared to the value you are bringing back to the school. You are not there for the education yet you are forced to get it (and these schools are accepting students left and right in order to get FAFSA money, watering down college degrees regardless). The school doesn't care about your education to the tune of creating fake classes for you. All for the right to pay you absolutely $0. You are penalized for getting a free cheeseburger, because if you get paid anything it puts their billions of dollars at risk. And then in true psychopathic gaslighting fashion they tell you it is to "protect" student-athletes. All the while they are exchanging money through 12 different hands to happily give recruits $50k while the shills tell the public about the value of an education. How big a sucker do you have to be to buy this?

This is what modern slavery looks like. This is not an opinion, this is reality. It is utterly disgusting, and I hate to see the cognitive dissonance once the fans and those supporting these universities, coaches, and AD's come to terms with it. People say it is disrespect to "real" slavery. I say looking the other way at this is disrespecting real slavery.

Slaves got free food... free room and board... free education and the like. not so very different

Everyone else didn’t get charged about $70,000 a year for those same things in an environment they all freely chose.

It is slavery. And the fact that it is mostly black kids that make the NBA, makes it even more blatant. And IMO designed to be racist (1951).

Right now you have almost no choice but to go to college in order to make the NBA. All these other "options" like Europe for an 18 year old are outrageous and I lose respect for anybody that makes it seem like they have other options (and there's plenty of you). Everybody around you is making millions off your name, your game, and your likeness including the guy who yells at you from the sideline everyday.

Meanwhile you are given a scholarship which is worth almost nothing to the university, ESPECIALLY compared to the value you are bringing back to the school. You are not there for the education yet you are forced to get it (and these schools are accepting students left and right in order to get FAFSA money, watering down college degrees regardless). The school doesn't care about your education to the tune of creating fake classes for you. All for the right to pay you absolutely $0. You are penalized for getting a free cheeseburger, because if you get paid anything it puts their billions of dollars at risk. And then in true psychopathic gaslighting fashion they tell you it is to "protect" student-athletes. All the while they are exchanging money through 12 different hands to happily give recruits $50k while the shills tell the public about the value of an education. How big a sucker do you have to be to buy this?

This is what modern slavery looks like. This is not an opinion, this is reality. It is utterly disgusting, and I hate to see the cognitive dissonance once the fans and those supporting these universities, coaches, and AD's come to terms with it. People say it is disrespect to "real" slavery. I say looking the other way at this is disrespecting real slavery.

Some good points in here, but mainly looking forward to the replies it gets.

and yet you are on a COLLEGE fan site promoting this "slavery". i have so many names for you its insane but i am doing my best to stay calm. GTHOH.

Actual slavery still exists in places around the world so while I agree with much of what you are saying about the way college athletics operates saying that it is modern slavery is more than a bit disingenuous imo.

Right now you have almost no choice but to go to college in order to make the NBA. All these other "options" like Europe for an 18 year old are outrageous and I lose respect for anybody that makes it seem like they have other options (and there's plenty of you).

Not sure if you heard but Bazley is going to the G league.

i sincerely hope you have no respect for me.

and yet you are on a COLLEGE fan site promoting this "slavery". i have so many names for you its insane but i am doing my best to stay calm. GTHOH.

Fighting for change. Exposing.

Actual slavery still exists in places around the world so while I agree with much of what you are saying about the way college athletics operates saying that it is modern slavery is more than a bit disingenuous imo.

Modernized, socially sanctioned slavery.

Not sure if you heard but Bazley is going to the G league.

i sincerely hope you have no respect for me.

The first ever. Who had to endure wrath. A trailblazer. A brave soul.

A player can walk away. A slave couldn’t.

It's blackmail.

Stay and make millions, leave and go back to the projects.
Take a D2 scholly, get a degree, and get a job in a world outside of athletics. None of the pressure of being "forced" to be a D1 athlete with all of the benefits of people paying tuition.

Take a D2 scholly, get a degree, and get a job in a world outside of athletics. None of the pressure of being "forced" to be a D1 athlete with all of the benefits of people paying tuition.

And no NBA for you. No millions, no fame, no women.

Not to mention the social conditioning which encourages drug dealing, basketball, or rap. "Getting a degree" and a middle class job is often outside these kid's and their parent's reality. It's also looked down upon, but that's another story. Ask Charles Barkley about that.

They're trapped. Modernized, socially sanctioned slavery. All while mostly white fans look on, coach them, and make money off them. Reality hurts.

It's blackmail.

Stay and make millions, leave and go back to the projects.

You talk like everyone makes millions if they stay. It’s like 2%.

Not to mention the social conditioning which encourages drug dealing, basketball, or rap. "Getting a degree" and a middle class job is often outside these kid's and their parent's reality. It's also looked down upon, but that's another story. Ask Charles Barkley about that.

They're trapped. Modernized, socially sanctioned slavery. All while mostly white fans look on, coach them, and make money off them. Reality hurts.
First that's not a guarantee. If the NBA can identify prospects in high school, they can follow them at lower division colleges.

Second, so what? Is someone entitled to those things. A good education and a good job for 30+ yrs isn't enough?

The sense of entitlement within elite athletics is out of control.

Last edited:
The twisted sense of entitlement that some ppl have is offensive.

Players/Parents don’t like the rules? They don’t have to sign up. No one is holding a gun to their head. The NCAA, these institutions offer an education and an opportunity to showcase their talents in front of big crowds and on national television. If you don’t value the free education or the national platform then take a different path. You don’t like those other paths either? Wow, color me shocked that life gives you multiple imperfect paths to choose from.

People comparing this to slavery make me sick. Watch a movie like Amistad - the kidnapping and boat scenes specifically. The horror and anguish those people must have felt.

Then you want to compare that to a kid living in the best dorms colleges have to offer, eating in dining halls with endless food options, working out in the best training facilities, practicing the game they love in gorgeous multi-million dollar gymnasiums, playing in front of 35K people who worship their every move, unlimited access to free tutors, unlimited access to some of the most insightful professors in the world, access to free books, all while being the kings of a campus littered with beautiful educated girls.

If you don’t like it - don’t sign up for it. Free Will is a wonderful thing... Something slaves were never given the option to exercise.

Those are all choices. Slaves didn't have a choice.

What in God's name do women have to do with this? I'm pretty sure you don't need fame/money to get a woman. And if you do need that, then you're getting the wrong kind of women and they're there for one reason.

I have a feeling anyone who went through ACTUAL slavery would sign up for the life these kids get to live while at a college or university. I know I would!

Please tell me how players fall under this definition...

Definition of slavery:

the definition of slavery

noun
1. the condition of a slave; bondage.
2. the keeping of slaves as a practice or institution.
3. a state of subjection like that of a slave:
He was kept in slavery by drugs.

4. severe toil; drudgery.

Origin of slavery
1545-1555

First recorded in 1545-55; slave + -ery

Related forms
preslavery, adjective, noun

Synonyms
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. thralldom, enthrallment. Slavery, bondage, servitude refer to involuntary subjection to another or others. Slavery emphasizes the idea of complete ownership and control by a master: to be sold into slavery. Bondage indicates a state of subjugation or captivity often involving burdensome and degrading labor: in bondage to a cruel master. Servitude is compulsory service, often such as is required by a legal penalty: penal servitude. 4. moil, labor.

By the way I checked: There are no results for: modern slavery, but we are adding new words daily.

There are an estimated 45.8 million people subject to some form of modern slavery worldwide.[6] The most common form of the slave trade is now commonly referred to as human trafficking. Chattel slavery is also still practiced by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. In other areas, slavery (or unfree labour) continues through practices such as debt bondage, the most widespread form of slavery today,[2] serfdom, domestic servants kept in captivity, certain adoptions in which children are forced to work as slaves, child soldiers, and forced marriage.[7]

No mention of college basketball.

Well not sure I completely agree with this lady minor leagues don't pay much and free college and all the benefits they get aren't bad deals BUT I am still waiting to hear a rational explanation for why hockey players can enter the draft, get drafted, and continue to play NCAAs but football and basketball can't. The only explanation I can think of is along the lines of what Mrs Carter is saying.

I assume, but have to believe a large part of the difference is a difference between how the NFL/NBA collective bargaining agreement works and how the MLB/NHL collective bargaining agreements work. The fact that the MLB and NHL and legitimate minor league opportunities may also play into this difference.

Right now you have almost no choice but to go to college in order to make the NBA. All these other "options" like Europe for an 18 year old are outrageous and I lose respect for anybody that makes it seem like they have other options (and there's plenty of you).

Why do you think that other options like Europe or Asia are outrageous? It's extremely common in the most popular sport in the world -- and it's not just players like Angel Di Maria that go when they are 18-20 years old with enormous sponsorship deals. Academy teams, smaller clubs, and clubs in lower divisions across Europe are riddled with young, foreign talent. The benefits those players players receive are almost certainly less than Carter (and other NBA Level talent) would have received if he decided to play in Instanbul/Madrid/Moscow/Milan/Barcelona/Etc.

So why is it not outrageous for those kids, but it is outrageous for someone like Carter or another great basketball talent that has that option (which would be all kids with realistic NBA aspirations)?

This is kinda a bunch of BS if you ask me.
OMG you HAVE to go to college to go pro!
Yeah so what? Just like many/most of the other professions out there.

I PAID to go to college to get prepared for my job. Having to go for a year (free BTW), get coached by people who know what they are doing, who's job it is to prepare you for the pros, seems like a great deal to me.

The system works well for the 1000's of D1 baskball players that graduate each year with a 4 year degree to start their lives. I don't see them complaining about their diplomas as they walk across the stage.
For the 60 or whatever that get drafted each year, it is your future employer (the NBA) that says you have to go to school for a year. The schools just have to put up with it.

Wendell Carter sure seemed happy in his commitment video to Duke, you know having to endure 9 months at the OAD Duke Univ plantation.

Legitimate questions. I assume the "1951" is a date. What is the significance as I was under the impression true integration (as opposed to token integration) took hold in the 1960s? How did the rules change, if at all, once integration occurred such that they were "designed to be racist".

I really think one of the ways to really blow-up the argument that players get paid "nothing" would be to tweak the tax code. Depending on the situation, if my employer offered to pay my rent, the value of that rent would be considered taxable income as a fringe benefit. Lets also include the spending money that cost of attendance scholarship pay, as well as the market value of meals, to taxable income.

Now I agree the value of the education is up to debate. Not the monetary value, that has a pretty clear market value, but the value of the education provided. There have been too many stories out there of athletes who wanted an education that were steered into worthless majors. I would be surprised if the majority here did not agree there needed to be a fix of some sort to this issue. A big part of the problem, however, is the expectation of the kids and their parents and how this expectation is manipulated by the coaches. If Coach K or Cal came to my house to sell me on their programs and their pitch was the number of players drafted into the NBA, why would I care about school. This is an institutional issue that cannot be fixed by the NCAA alone.

No, it is your opinion.

I assume, but have to believe a large part of the difference is a difference between how the NFL/NBA collective bargaining agreement works and how the MLB/NHL collective bargaining agreements work. The fact that the MLB and NHL and legitimate minor league opportunities may also play into this difference.

Well MLB is different because the low minors path for a 17 year old is likely similar to college. NHL that isn't the case. NCAA hockey also competes directly with a superior entity in the CHL (Major Juniors.)

But you aren't allowed to go to the AHL or ECHL until you are 19 or 20 and at least a year removed. Bazley would be ineligible for the AHL if he was a hockey player for another year. Lots of high draft picks spend 8 games on an NHL roster often not playing then go back to juniors due to age. The NHL doesn't want their prospects playing with grown men fighting for a living when there are better options.

Still the NCAA allows athletes in the sports that aren't predominantly African American to be drafted and build relationships (NHL has development camp every summer for college and junior prospects) with pro teams.

Basketball tweak is easy go to the hockey model.

For football draft everyone as 20 year olds and have the teams tell most of them to finish up their college eligibility. The only problem comes up with combine/draft calendar overlap with spring semester. And the NFL thinks its draft is the most exciting thing in sports and 3 days of must see TV you can't skip the combine to finish up your degree or simply get more credits before you have to go to camp.

Its in the NBA and NFLs interest for every team to have a pool of good NCAA players that they can watch and monitor their development.