We're going to need a bigger boat. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We're going to need a bigger boat.

Is this a huge development or something? If his deciding factor is fanbase size then we never stood a chance, obviously.

Hopefully he's worried about much more important things.

Think this might have been one of the issues that hurt us with Spearman. Iowa fans all over twitter saying he basically would be a fool to commit to Syracuse when Iowa averages 70,000 in home game attendance

Think this might have been one of the issues that hurt us with Spearman. Iowa fans all over twitter saying he basically would be a fool to commit to Syracuse when Iowa averages 70,000 in home game attendance

Nothing we can do about that. We'll never compare to those state schools when it comes to attendance. We aren't going to get the kids who choose universities based on how many fans they have. It is what it is.

As of 8:30 New York's College team does not have a single recruit from NY. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

As of 8:30 New York's College team does not have a single recruit from NY. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Well, it's not a good thing. We're in rebuild mode right now with regard to recruiting in New York after losing Marrone and Anselmo. That's a fact.

Nothing we can do about that. We'll never compare to those state schools when it comes to attendance. We aren't going to get the kids who choose universities based on how many fans they have. It is what it is.

Could this be the one major reason it has become so tough to recruit to Syracuse? I'm beginning to think it is. Forget weather, forget facilities (which will improve in the coming years). Uphill battles every year with 3 and 4 star recruits because of fan base. Anyone who recruits against us can throw that out there and immediately have a kid's attention.

Could this be the one major reason it has become so tough to recruit to Syracuse? I'm beginning to think it is. Forget weather, forget facilities (which will improve in the coming years). Uphill battles every year with 3 and 4 star recruits because of fan base. Anyone who recruits against us can throw that out there and immediately have a kid's attention.

Well are players hell bent on numbers? I mean if we sell out the Dome its only 48,000. Still far short of 70,000 or 100,000 seat stadiums.

It's one of many factors, not the main one. Otherwise, Miami wouldn't get recruits. It's difficult when you combine it with things like location. But it doesn't make recruiting impossible. You have to find the kids who believe fanbase size is irrelevant compared to other things.

Well are players hell bent on numbers? I mean if we sell out the Dome its only 48,000. Still far short of 70,000 or 100,000 seat stadiums.

I don't know if "hell-bent" is the word. But it's certainly eye-popping to a teenager when you say you're gonna play in front of 70,000 fans or 37,000 fans. In reality it doesn't make much difference because Syracuse is a national brand anyhow and gets national TV exposure. But when you put it in those terms, a kid thinks "wow, I'll have a lot more people watching me."

Look at how easy it has become for the basketball team to recruit. I put the number one reason behind that to Jimmy B's induction to the hall of fame (and the reason he's in the hall of fame, wins). But dang if it doesn't help that a kid is told it's the second largest fan base (in terms of turnout) in the country.

Think Syracuse football has a lot to overcome here, and the coaches better be really wary that this fact is constantly used against them.

It's one of many factors, not the main one. Otherwise, Miami wouldn't get recruits. It's difficult when you combine it with things like location. But it doesn't make recruiting impossible. You have to find the kids who believe fanbase size is irrelevant compared to other things.
Of course it's only one of many factors, but if we could get the crowds back to the way they were in the 90's it would be a huge advantage for us.

A sold out Dome is an amazing place to watch a game. Our 50k ryvals any 70k/plus stadium in terms of home field advantage. Here's hoping that HCSS handles the PR side of the gig better than DM did.

Is this a huge development or something? If his deciding factor is fanbase size then we never stood a chance, obviously.

Hopefully he's worried about much more important things.

It's a big issue.

And there's a reason there haven't been big junior days. They didn't want to scare away a whole class with the facilities being the first impression of the school. They wanted to establish relationships first that could help kids see past those issues when they visited.

Of course it's only one of many factors, but if we could get the crowds back to the way they were in the 90's it would be a huge advantage for us.

A sold out Dome is an amazing place to watch a game. Our 50k any 70k/plus stadium in terms of home field advantage. Here's hoping that HCSS handles the PR side of the gig than DM did.
It would be close to impossible not to

I don't know if "hell-bent" is the word. But it's certainly eye-popping to a teenager when you say you're gonna play in front of 70,000 fans or 37,000 fans. In reality it doesn't make much difference because Syracuse is a national brand anyhow and gets national TV exposure. But when you put it in those terms, a kid thinks "wow, I'll have a lot more people watching me."

Look at how easy it has become for the basketball team to recruit. I put the number one reason behind that to Jimmy B's induction to the hall of fame (and the reason he's in the hall of fame, wins). But dang if it doesn't help that a kid is told it's the second largest fan base (in terms of turnout) in the country.

Think Syracuse football has a lot to overcome here, and the coaches better be really wary that this fact is constantly used against them.
Syracuse has a better track record than many of those schools at putting players into the NFL. I saw somewhere that we are 10th all time.

It's a big issue.

And there's a reason there haven't been big junior days. They didn't want to scare away a whole class with the facilities being the first impression of the school. They wanted to establish relationships first that could help kids see past those issues when they visited.

That's interesting and makes some sense.

It's not the size of the stadium, it's the capacity used. Kids that are looking at SU can see the silver on TV. If there were 47K and the place was rocking that would come through as well.

George McDonald@CoachGMcDonald
#CuseFamily welcome Corey Winfeild to the family #PlayMakers
Missouri made a late push to grab him from us. They are desperate as they have the worst recruting class in the SEC. I provided a link somewhere that showed the Tigers have the 42nd rated class while most of their peers are in or around the top 10.

Syracuse has a better track record than many of those schools at putting players into the NFL. I saw somewhere that we are 10th all time.

Absolutely. Actually 8th all-time according to NFL network. Those are the things that need to be stressed up front when you recruit a player. Prepare these kids to get peppered with, "yeah, well Syracuse only gets 37,000 fans in the seats."

It would be close to impossible not to
LMAO...ya, Ole DM was quite the sour puss.

I never understood all the "barriers" (literal and figurative) that he put around himself and the program. He's actually a very engaging guy when you talk to him but he seems to have some sort of ingrained paranoid streak that was simply maddening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom