We're going to need a bigger boat. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We're going to need a bigger boat.

Scissum is in as well. Sorry if already posted.

I'm putting the odds of Estime signing at 50/50. Never know what to expect with that kid.

My son will always ask me "Dad is it the University of X or X University and why?"
i dont think i knew till i was in my late 20s early 30s.

never thought about it till then.

I don't know if "hell-bent" is the word. But it's certainly eye-popping to a teenager when you say you're gonna play in front of 70,000 fans or 37,000 fans. In reality it doesn't make much difference because Syracuse is a national brand anyhow and gets national TV exposure. But when you put it in those terms, a kid thinks "wow, I'll have a lot more people watching me."

Look at how easy it has become for the basketball team to recruit. I put the number one reason behind that to Jimmy B's induction to the hall of fame (and the reason he's in the hall of fame, wins). But dang if it doesn't help that a kid is told it's the second largest fan base (in terms of turnout) in the country.

Think Syracuse football has a lot to overcome here, and the coaches better be really wary that this fact is constantly used against them.

Current trends are suggesting stadiums will get smaller in the future. (Ticket Prices, HDTV, More Luxury Boxes, Millennials going to less live events). I'm not suggesting all stadiums will get smaller but I'm more comfortable with Cuse upgrading the Dome with more amenities even if seating capacity goes down a few thousand seats.

He's obsessed. I've created a monster so these are the questions I have to answer on a daily basis.

The best was just before kickoff of the super bowl he turns to me (he's 12) and says "You know what sucks? The Giants were in this game last year and now we have to watch these 2 sucky teams play."

I cried with pride.

It's unbelievable to me that these kids don't know that it's "Syracuse University."

I blame the elimination of the SJ logo.

(greatest move ever, worst logo ever).

Fizz: Scott Shafer’s media schedule includes his official press conference at 3:45 p.m. A spot with ESPNU at 4:35 pm. An interview with CBSSports.com at 4:45 pm. Then a sit-down with ESPNCNY at 4:55 p.m.

You're that old? I thought you were a boy King.

Oh Lord

I wonder if coach P is live tweeting this morning?

Funny you should say that. I just looked on my twitter "stream" and Coach P is congratulating each recruit as their LOI arrives!

It's one of many factors, not the main one. Otherwise, Miami wouldn't get recruits. It's difficult when you combine it with things like location. But it doesn't make recruiting impossible. You have to find the kids who believe fanbase size is irrelevant compared to other things.
It's also a safe and easy reason for a recruit to give when asked why he made the decision he did. It doesn't criticize or place blame on anyone who recruited him unsuccessfully.

I don't think high school kids are too concerned about burning bridges, but so many are mentored by their coaches through the recruiting process that they could be getting politically correct talking points that will keep their school in good graces with the spurned universities.

Funny you should say that. I just looked on my twitter "stream" and Coach P is congratulating each recruit as their LOI arrives!
I'm sure this task was delegated to some admin assistant on behalf of P.

I'm sure this task was delegated to some admin assistant on behalf of P.

More than likely, but recruits won't realize that. They will think Coach P is tech savvy.

More than likely, but recruits won't realize that. They will think Coach P is tech savvy.

Well he does have a thirteen year old...kids will make you learn new things out of necessity.

And there's a reason there haven't been big junior days. They didn't want to scare away a whole class with the facilities being the first impression of the school. They wanted to establish relationships first that could help kids see past those issues when they visited.
I'm really happy Doug ended up in the NFL. You've got to be kidding me. What a loser mentality.

You've got a beautiful campus, a great game day atmosphere for hoops depending on when you hold the event, the chance to build relationships IN PERSON and get a bunch of young guys together to start talking about their future at the school, and a chance to showcase everything else good and meaningful about your program. There's so much potential to leave a huge positive impression even with the warts and we just passed up on it. Part of the staff's job is to make those things work, flaws and all.

I really hope the new staff views opportunities like holding junior day events and the like differently and makes those chances work for them. Geez, you'd think our program lacked any assets at all. Sell to your strengths. When everyone else has a junior day it sends the message that you don't have any strengths and you just have to hide and stall on the kids figuring out where you're lacking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom