We're going to need a bigger boat. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

We're going to need a bigger boat.

WW is a house and may have his own zip code. I predict that this kid will be one of the all time greats at the Cuse before he is done, right there with Tim Green.

Skout is reporting that Hodge has signed his LOI.

That leaves us with three commits unsigned.

I don't know if "hell-bent" is the word. But it's certainly eye-popping to a teenager when you say you're gonna play in front of 70,000 fans or 37,000 fans. In reality it doesn't make much difference because Syracuse is a national brand anyhow and gets national TV exposure. But when you put it in those terms, a kid thinks "wow, I'll have a lot more people watching me."

Look at how easy it has become for the basketball team to recruit. I put the number one reason behind that to Jimmy B's induction to the hall of fame (and the reason he's in the hall of fame, wins). But dang if it doesn't help that a kid is told it's the second largest fan base (in terms of turnout) in the country.

Think Syracuse football has a lot to overcome here, and the coaches better be really wary that this fact is constantly used against them.

As others have stated, SU, as a private institution, will never be able to compete on certain levels with the huge state schools...That being said, SU really needs to focus on the benefits that the Dome and its unique enviroment brings. So it's not the biggest, BFD. The sell should be how many other schools have a unique stadium on campus like SU...and also focus on a style of play that makes playing in the dome a great attraction to recruits, up tempo, etc., as this past season. If we can get back to filling the dome at its capacity, the noise of 49k or so, imo, has a greater loudness/awe factor than 70k, or even 100k for that matter.

As others have stated, SU, as a private institution, will never be able to compete on certain levels with the huge state schools...That being said, SU really needs to focus on the benefits that the Dome and its unique enviroment brings. So it's not the biggest, BFD. The sell should be how many other schools have a unique stadium on campus like SU...and also focus on a style of play that makes playing in the dome a great attraction to recruits, up tempo, etc., as this past season. If we can get back to filling the dome at its capacity, the noise of 49k or so, imo, has a greater loudness/awe factor than 70k, or even 100k for that matter.

No, SU needs to focus on this for recruiting.

douglas-cash.jpg

It's not so much seeing the dome filled as it is hearing the numbers when you are being recruited. Many recruits have not seen a Syracuse home game anyway before committing (at least it doesn't seem like it). Even if you are getting 48,000 average, it's so easy to say, "48,000 is nice, but we're talking 70,000 fans on game day."

Just makes Syracuse sound like a lesser institution, which it's not, but that conceptualization is really hard to fight off.

It's a big issue.

And there's a reason there haven't been big junior days. They didn't want to scare away a whole class with the facilities being the first impression of the school. They wanted to establish relationships first that could help kids see past those issues when they visited.

I don't buy that. Junior days are usually held in January and February. That's basketball season. What's the downside of having top junior prospects' first impression of the dome be their witnessing some of the largest crowds in college basketball?

I don't buy that. Junior days are usually held in January and February. That's basketball season. What's the downside of having top junior prospects' first impression of the dome be their witnessing some of the largest crowds in college basketball?
I think the concern is all the other facilities.

Preaching to the choir.

Preaching to the choir.
I'm going to predict this coaching staff will manage to bring in the biggest crowd the Dome has seen in football in many years.We need a decibel meter in the loud house and a high level reading for the crowd to beat on any given game day.Especally when the opposing offense has the ball and the doomsday defense is ready to attack.:cool:

I'm going to predict this coaching staff will manage to bring in the biggest crowd the Dome has seen in football in many years.We need a decibel meter in the loud house and a high level reading for the crowd to beat on any given game day.Especally when the opposing offense has the ball and the doomsday defense is ready to attack.:cool:

Don't forget the big lock.

I'll say this again, the program has been WAY behind in facilities, and have had to hide them. You invite a bunch of kids in cold as Juniors, and it's a huge risk that you are going to turn a good number off before you have even had a chance to sell the school, the program, and the staff.

They have lost kids that they were in on first and had tremendous relationships with to school like Rutgers because of that issue, what's going to happen when you haven't established those relationships with in the first place.

I'll say this again, the program has been WAY behind in facilities, and have had to hide them. You invite a bunch of kids in cold as Juniors, and it's a huge risk that you are going to turn a good number off before you have even had a chance to sell the school, the program, and the staff.

They have lost kids that they were in on first and had tremendous relationships with to school like Rutgers because of that issue, what's going to happen when you haven't established those relationships with in the first place.

But if it is true that there are plans in place for the new facilities. Maybe you can set up a 3-D Virtual tour of the new facilities and other projects that will happen during there time here at SU.

That's silly. If building relationships is crucial to the recruiting process, then you're giving up a golden opportunity to do so by foregoing well-publicized junior days while the competition gets the jump on you. And if facilities are going to sway kids, you can't hide them from them forever. They'll go elsewhere anyway. The kids that will be sold on relationships without the facilities turning them completely off can be sold before others get hold of them with junior days. These kids want coaches' interest. If there isn't sustained effort and events put into getting their attention as juniors, it's going to be harder to do so as seniors.

And you make it seem as if the on-campus experience is all negatives. Can Rutgers beat us on gameday atmosphere when there's 25-34K in the dome for a basketball game?

You'd make a good spin doctor or cult member. You have a ready excuse for any shortcoming of the glorious leader and are good at disciplining others who stray from the party line.

Someone needs to tweet Coach McDonald and tell him to get as many recruits as he can to that G-Town game. If they want great college atmosphere then we need to get as many people there as possible. Also Carmelo Anthony will be there maybe an informal picture taking event not planned just by chance :)

Matt Porter@mattyports
Brisly Estime is an orange sweater and sitting next to a Syracuse hat.

Matt Porter@mattyports
Brisly Estime is an orange sweater and sitting next to a Syracuse hat.

At least we can end the day on a good note. Welcome to the Cuse Brisly!

At least we can end the day on a good note. Welcome to the Cuse Brisly!

Not so fast, my friend. Reports indicate he hasn't actually faxed the form.

My son will always ask me "Dad is it the University of X or X University and why?"
You would think he would out grow that.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

You'd make a good spin doctor or cult member. You have a ready excuse for any shortcoming of the glorious leader and are good at disciplining others who stray from the party line.
Going back to the end of the P era, we've been through 10 years now of various coaches, some good recruiters, some not, and we have had consistent bad luck trying to attract and sign top talent. Coaches come and go, with different personalities and approaches to their jobs. What has remained constant throughout that period?

But yeah, it was the Realtor's fault.

That's silly. If building relationships is crucial to the recruiting process, then you're giving up a golden opportunity to do so by foregoing well-publicized junior days while the competition gets the jump on you. And if facilities are going to sway kids, you can't hide them from them forever. They'll go elsewhere anyway. The kids that will be sold on relationships without the facilities turning them completely off can be sold before others get hold of them with junior days. These kids want coaches' interest. If there isn't sustained effort and events put into getting their attention as juniors, it's going to be harder to do so as seniors.

And you make it seem as if the on-campus experience is all negatives. Can Rutgers beat us on gameday atmosphere when there's 25-34K in the dome for a basketball game?

Believe whatever you want. Instead of an group grope to start they initiated recruting on a one to one basis. It's a perfectly valid approach to lead with your strenght.

If you have a problem with me, here's a thought, don't read my posts.

Going back to the end of the P era, we've been through 10 years now of various coaches, some good recruiters, some not, and we have had consistent bad luck trying to attract and sign top talent. Coaches come and go, with different personalities and approaches to their jobs. What has remained constant throughout that period?

But yeah, it was the Realtor's fault.

Losing doesn't help and that perception is mostly out of the control of the coaching staff. But if there are things that you can do to offset the negatives and you aren't doing them or aren't doing them aggressively, that's on you.

My problem with the facilities argument is that absolves the staff of all responsibility in recruiting players here. That's ludicrous. How on earth is Vanderbilt recruiting top 25 classes? Yeah, they're in the SEC but they've been in the SEC since the 1960s. Where were those classes before? Losing is a problem, facilities are a problem but they're not a dead end like some make it out to be.

Losing doesn't help and that perception is mostly out of the control of the coaching staff. But if there are things that you can do to offset the negatives and you aren't doing them or aren't doing them aggressively, that's on you.

My problem with the facilities argument is that absolves the staff of all responsibility in recruiting players here. That's ludicrous. How on earth is Vanderbilt recruiting top 25 classes? Yeah, they're in the SEC but they've been in the SEC since the 1960s. Where were those classes before? Losing is a problem, facilities are a problem but they're not a dead end like some make it out to be.
Oh absolutely. My contention, based on comments that have trickled in over the years, including from the summaries of Marrone's luncheons, is that the facilities were probably the biggest contributing factor. It shows whether or not you are committed to the program. Losing, attendance, all understandable - and derivative - if you don't invest in the program. IMO recruits didn't think "once I help turn it around then good stuff can get built or renovated", they thought, "no wonder they are losing and no one goes to the games." Again, IMO.

Believe whatever you want. Instead of an group grope to start they initiated recruting on a one to one basis. It's a perfectly valid approach to lead with your strenght.

If you have a problem with me, here's a thought, don't read my posts.

It may be a perfectly valid approach. Some would argue that it's not a terribly effective one, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom