We're not going to get the best kids... | Syracusefan.com

We're not going to get the best kids...

truth... Also, I was just reading an article on Maryland's DC Stewart who used to work for Coach P. He is set to make $350,000 a year, while ML as OC is making $500 + incentives for recruiting. Maryland's attendance was not strong this year, as I attended nearly every game. Their AD is so cash strapped they are cutting programs that are national contenders. Making sure our AST's are well paid (Wheatly) will be huge in retaining them and competing in the ACC. Getting recruiters like ML, is also imperative. That is why scooping up Rutgers coaches, if they can grab us Jersey guys is so important now! Need to go into the ACC on a momentum swing. Pitt is settling in with there third new coach in three years, there is no reason we shouldn't at least catch up to them in terms of overall talent and depth. Facilities upgrades will be hugely important!

I understand your frustration with that but I think we are getting better kids, maybe not players but young men that see things beyond the flash and cash.

If SU can improve their facilities and the fans can show up 45K+ strong I think those two things would be able to push some recruits to sign with SU. As much as the added assets schools may use I think one of the biggest advantages they have is a full house during games. Imagine if SU got 14K for hoops... Do you believe that they'd recruit like they do in this day and age of TV?

I understand your frustration with that but I think we are getting better kids, maybe not players but young men that see things beyond the flash and cash.

If SU can improve their facilities and the fans can show up 45K+ strong I think those two things would be able to push some recruits to sign with SU. As much as the added assets schools may use I think one of the biggest advantages they have is a full house during games. Imagine if SU got 14K for hoops... Do you believe that they'd recruit like they do in this day and age of TV?

Give me the kids that like flash and cash if they can win football games.

They're not receiving scholarships to become Rhodes Scholars, they're getting them to win football games. You get what you pay for.

They're not receiving scholarships to become Rhodes Scholars, they're getting them to win football games. You get what you pay for.

Hopefully we get our 'flash' up to par shortly. I want SU to win as much as the next guy but not if it means signing 'cash' players.

Hopefully we get our 'flash' up to par shortly. I want SU to win as much as the next guy but not if it means signing 'cash' players.

If 4 and 5-star players started rolling in and we were signing top-10 classes, and winning 10 games every year and going to BCS games, I'm sure you'd be fine with it.

Texas and UCLA are teams I see with the flash and cash and they are overrated each and every year. I'd love to see the football team recruit as well as the hoops team and I firmly believe it will continue to get better in football.

the NCAA

they did diddly poo to USC, tOSU, UNC, Bama, Auburn, Oregon, Miami in the face of rampant cheating and paying of players ... the punishments are slow to come and not nearly as severe as they are perceived. Their lack of chutzpah is what allows the rule bending and violations to continue without anyone blinking.

Not one school in the big boy leagues gives a damn about the NCAA and their rules. That is why they can continually pull in top players and get major boosters to throw around money for facilities.

They have come to the realization that risking a few schollies lost or a one season bowl ban (both end up saving them money if you think about it) are worth risking for winning seasons and happy boosters -- NCAA be damned

If 4 and 5-star players started rolling in and we were signing top-10 classes, and winning 10 games every year and going to BCS games, I'm sure you'd be fine with it.

Honestly, not like that I wouldn't. If I wanted to cheer for an SEC program I would. I like cheering for a team that holds itself to higher standards even if it means missing out on some big time recruits by not handing out shoe boxes full of cash and letting players run wild on campus.

Besides, what would make our underhanded offers to recruits anymore appealing then what they would be offered elsewhere? If SU and Auburn both offer the same $$$$$$ then whats to say we'd get the kid anyway?

Honestly, not like that I wouldn't. If I wanted to cheer for an SEC program I would. I like cheering for a team that holds itself to higher standards even if it means missing out on some big time recruits by not handing out shoe boxes full of cash and letting players run wild on campus.

Besides, what would make our underhanded offers to recruits anymore appealing then what they would be offered elsewhere? If SU and Auburn both offer the same $$$$$$ then whats to say we'd get the kid anyway?

I hope you show up and cheer them on at graduation. If they didn't have God-given athletic ability, they wouldn't be getting scholarships to play football. Their #1 job at Syracuse University is to win football games, and we need to play with the big boys to get results.

We're not recruiting against Auburn. We're talking about winning the battles we're in right now that we're losing, and then setting our sights higher. No reason cash can't make us the pre-eminent power in the northeast.

50-cent-shows-off-stacks-of-cash.jpg

We're not recruiting against Auburn. We're talking about winning the battles we're in right now that we're losing, and then setting our sights higher. No reason cash can't make us the pre-eminent power in the northeast.

Right but if we we're recruiting 4 & 5 star cash for hire mercinaries we would be recruiting against Auburn, etc. The guys we're in recruiting battles right now shouldn't need a cash boost to pick SU. Plus, cash to get guys to SU wouldn't gaurentee they like it and stay especially when they can go elsewhere and take basket weaving courses, and have heards of groupies chasing them around.

Obviously you don't have to share my sentiment, but I like cheering for a smaller school that does things the right way.

**** the NCAA

they did diddly poo to USC, tOSU, UNC, Bama, Auburn, Oregon, Miami in the face of rampant cheating and paying of players ... the punishments are slow to come and not nearly as severe as they are perceived. Their lack of chutzpah is what allows the rule bending and violations to continue without anyone blinking.

Difference being that SU isn't making the NCAA boatloads of money like those programs do. We are the type of program that they would hammer to prove they are willing to do it, albeit not to one of the big bread winners.

I hope you show up and cheer them on at graduation. If they didn't have God-given athletic ability, they wouldn't be getting scholarships to play football. Their #1 job at Syracuse University is to win football games, and we need to play with the big boys to get results.

I may not show up for graduation but I certainly would be more apt to give them a job after they graduate.

I'm not advocating cheating... but I will state, yet again, that it's been quantitatively proven that a program is better off breaking rules, winning, and being penalized, than not.

The affects from sanctions do not offset the affects from cheating and winning more.

It's a fact.

I may not show up for graduation but I certainly would be more apt to give them a job after they graduate.
I'm also sure I wouldn't hire a morally corrupt advocate of cheating for my company either. Sorry way to want your team to behave.

I'm not advocating cheating... but I will state, yet again, that it's been quantitatively proven that a program is better off breaking rules, winning, and being penalized, than not.

The affects from sanctions do not offset the affects from cheating and winning more.

It's a fact.

Yes, but we're the kind of program that WOULD get the death penalty.

Yes, but we're the kind of program that WOULD get the death penalty.

SMU's problem isn't that they cheated, it's that they kept doing it after they were on probation.

Everyone says they want to win "the right way", but in this day and age of college football, if you want to win, and you want to play with the big boys, you need to be willing to pay. You get what you pay for, and if you think you can build a national power on flowers and sunshine, then you should be fine with going 5-7, 6-6, or 7-5 at best. That's the ceiling.

Everyone on here bitches about losing recruits to UConn and Rutgers, and losing mediocre recruits at that. If you want to build a national, major college football program, you have to be willing to make the investment, and for all of the facilities a school like Rutgers can have, all it can buy is a slightly higher level of mediocrity.

Dantonio going to Michigan State after being a disciple of Tressel's... do you really think he's been able to build the program he has by selling Michigan State solely on its merits?

If we were winning 10 games a year, a perennial top-10 team, and going to BCS bowls, everyone would pleasantly stick their heads in the sand while enjoying the ride. It's easy to stand on a soapbox and say you'd rather have kids of high academic standards than doing what it takes to get the best players, because that's all we can say with the mediocre program we have right now.

If we truly want to play major college football at Syracuse, we need to pay what it takes to have a major college football program.

I don't fool myself that college football is by any means moral but if I'm Marrone and I represent the school I went to I sure as hell want to do things the right way and be able to sleep at night. Yes, not giving the extra benefits may lose him some nights sleep due to the constant uphill fight for talent but you have to do what you believe in and be true to yourself. I'm sure a lot of these SEC coaches skirt the rules to the nth degree and some may flat out cheat but for me, it's not how I want to win.

SMU's problem isn't that they cheated, it's that they kept doing it after they were on probation.

Let me just say that I care a LOT more about the reputation of the university I graduated from than the record of it's football team. I do not want my alma mater to knowingly engage in rule-breaking, ever.

That being said, I don't really get up in arms when schools get caught cheating. It's proven that there's a net-positive benefit to doing so. And if a school decides they are ethically OK with playing in that gray area, what can you do?

This has been on my mind a lot during the Fab Melo situation. Now I have no idea what's happened in that case, but I've been finding it funny that he's been out for "academic" reasons. I mean, Fab Melo did not come to SU for academic purposes. He came to play hoops. Academics are a nice bonus should he choose to take them seriously. The idea that he can't play basketball because he may have flunked a class is silly in the grand scheme. It's just an arcane rule to further the concept of "student athletes" that has been functionally dead for decades.

Recruiting, and the rules and violations that come with it, strike me the same way. How utterly ridiculous is it that an educational institution devotes thousands of hours and dollars for grown men to go beg 17 year old boys to come play sports at a school? One could argue that the entire process is ethically suspect, so what's the difference if a school follows an arbitrary set of rules?

Anyway, we shouldn't cheat. But 'crime' does pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom