We're still a very good program | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

We're still a very good program

Much better with either Lydon or Richardson. But they're not on the squad, so I'm not sure of your point.

I think his point was the cuse was impacted by early departures and transfers. Richardson, Lydon would have been seniors, Thompson would have been a junior, Brazley a freshman. Then this would have been a super team.

I think his point was the cuse was impacted by early departures and transfers. Richardson, Lydon would have been seniors, Thompson would have been a junior, Brazley a freshman. Then this would have been a super team.

Now do every other team.

If you played this game with Duke and Kentucky, they would probably field an average NBA team.
Yep...Put Jayson Tatum on Duke...and we’re talking bout Tyler Lydon?

(No offense to Tyler)

Thompson barely even plays, and who knows what we would have gotten from Bazely.

It's been 3 seasons since Richardson left and 2 since Lydon left. Does it really take that long to adapt and reload?

Team/Total Conference Wins/Avg SRS (previous 5 seasons)

Duke/64/23.68
Gonzaga/82/21.2
Michigan State/67/9.29
Kentucky/72/22.42
Kansas/69/21.2
Villanova/74/22.57
Syracuse/46/13.46
UNC/66/22.82

Team X/44/12.97
Team Y/51/16.31
Team Z/61/17.34

and two more
Team W/56/16.73
Team V/73/22.61

He is a great example of why that stat isn’t a great guide.

Which would you rather have?

Wisconsin
2019 Top 25 season with a 5 seed
2018 a losing record
2017 Top 25 with a Sweet 16
2016 Sweet 16
2015 Conference regular and tourney champs,1 seed, national title game

Or SU?

I don’t care about being Top 50 every year if we also aren’t Top 25 every year. I rather have a 75 season and four 25s.
this place would go beserk with a losing record. you would go beserk.

I think it is just like Paterno and Bowden. Change happens fast and todays game flew by Boeheim while he was cruising at 58 mpg in the passing lane.
you're bringing up Paterno?!?

I think one can use statistics so many different ways to get the narratives they are looking for.

We are not Duke, Kentucky, UNC...not on that tier. Doesn't matter what stats say.

Isn't this year the first time ever the cuse won an ACC tournament game since joining the ACC?

We were definitely negatively impacted from the NCAA sanctions, then Hopkins departure. Yes I do believe if Hopkins had stayed, Quade Green most likely wouldn't have switched his commitment, Hopkins was the one with a relationship with Green, not JB. K, Roy Williams, and Izzo develop a bond with their players, they are father figures. From the outside looking in I see Autry, Griffen, Macamara being those father figures, where JB is the overlording grandfather. He doesn't seem to have a deep bond with his current players, may be he did in the 80s and 90s? Recruiting wise we are certainly always seem to be on the top 3, top 5, top 8 "lists" of many five star recruits but we kind of know we are most likely plan Bs and playing bridesmaids. Brazley may have made an impact but we know what happened there.

We just don't have the athletes that we used to have that make those high flying transition games Thompson, Coleman, Douglas, Owens had back then, way back then.

Hey but on the positive side, we are shooting free throws way better now then before. Remember we couldn't make any free throws at the end of the games? They just keep fouling us to narrow the gap? We are much better in that department, Chukwu made his yesterday except one.

It's not the end if the world, look at all the other old Big East powerhouse programs, where they are now. I mean other than Villanova.
it goes without saying that we're not duke, unc. we all agree.

saying that only a few schools meet some criteria obviously doesn't mean that we are the same as the others in that group. i'm not trying to pretend like we are great like them.

this place would go beserk with a losing record. you would go beserk.
Not if it is an outlier surround by Sweet 16s, Final Fours, 1 seeds, and conference titles.

If it were surround by our last 5 seasons I would want JB martellied

Bazely leaving us at the alter and the Howard injury/suspension is going to tank your season no matter what. Being the 5th or 6th best team in the ACC isn’t a bad spot to be in. I think we have enough coming in to keep us at that level. I’m OK with that. We are still Syracuse and we will get our burger boy hyped up recruits again in the future.

It’s just a shame we’re gonna watch Battle leave to go undrafted I honestly think he’d come back better and have a really good senior season. I think we would have a shot at ACC regular season title with him.

How many GD posts about these mythical lineups? Every team has attrition! It’s the staffs job to anticipate and recruit their butts off. Instead we have grandpa Simpson hitting the road to watch his kids’ games.
Consider the source

I wasn’t commenting on expectations. I do agree that everyone has a shelf life professionally. JB’s has been impossibly long. Is it expiring? I don’t think it is, entirely, ...

elderly-elderly_people-seniors-senior_citizens-ageing-old-age-retirement-CC121938_low.jpg

I know people are upset that we haven't been great the last 5 years but here is the list of teams that have an SRS rating (schedule adjusted point differential) of 44 or better the last 5 years that have also made a final 4 in that time

Duke
Gonzaga
Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas
Villanova
Syracuse
UNC (EDIT i missed them)

That's good company. That's a bad stretch for Boeheim and it's still something that most schools can't accomplish. Stop being babies.

Boeheim knows the zone gives us a high floor and that does count for something and it doesn't stop us from sweet 16s and final 4s. People are making it out like this is some dragged out sucky period where we have to indulge the old man. Temple comparisons? Cheney couldn't win 20 in the A10 those late years
Also... sanctions.

People can spit out the computer numbers to say people here are spoiled fine.
If we win a championship we can become mediocre for 5 years as winning the title is the goal.
Not being consistently top 44 in computer rankings.
Our program has a talent issue.

I know people are upset that we haven't been great the last 5 years but here is the list of teams that have an SRS rating (schedule adjusted point differential) of 44 or better the last 5 years that have also made a final 4 in that time

Duke
Gonzaga
Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas
Villanova
Syracuse
UNC (EDIT i missed them)

That's good company. That's a bad stretch for Boeheim and it's still something that most schools can't accomplish. Stop being babies.

Boeheim knows the zone gives us a high floor and that does count for something and it doesn't stop us from sweet 16s and final 4s. People are making it out like this is some dragged out sucky period where we have to indulge the old man. Temple comparisons? Cheney couldn't win 20 in the A10 those late years

I know what you're doing and I don't disagree. However, we aren't the best team in NY right now and unless SJU has a major rebirth, we should always be the best team in the state at an absolute minimum. I know down seasons will happen, but losing to Buffalo because we don't have the talent is not acceptable. Like I said, I know you are providing the "things aren't as bad as they seem" perspective with data, which I appreciate. But there are things that are bad and the trend line is not good. Your data looks backwards without accounting for trajectory.

We lost to St. Bonaventure and Buffalo in back to back years. At home.

There's something to that as well.

44cuse

I didn't say that we haven't been better.
I agree those teams have been way better. My point is more about every other team not in that list. Being great every year would be wonderful. Being good every year is still rare.
We are SU. We dont strive to be mediocre. We dont settle for being "in the tournament" we dont beg for C list recruits in April.

There are only 23 teams that have been top 60 the last 5 years (final 4 or no)

The zone is becoming a scapegoat for a much more fundamental problem. It's his utter refusal to adapt to the changing basketball landscape. But how many 75 year olds adapt? Who are we kidding?

Wildhack's legacy is going to hinge on how he handles this transition. He's already got strike one for taking the easy way out when Hop left. If he thinks JB is untouchable then the new coach is going to be little Gerry.
Please lord no

Please lord no
That begs the question- does anybody here know wildhack personally or privy to any insider conversations? The public has a right to know where ADJW stands with the basketball program.

I assume you post this stuff for fun.
Partly but the fact remains nobody here knows what wildhack is thinking. Not even the high rollers.

Partly but the fact remains nobody here knows what wildhack is thinking. Not even the high rollers.

Tell you what, support and donate to the program, the door is open over there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom