West Virginia is showing how fast it takes to turn around | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

West Virginia is showing how fast it takes to turn around

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point it is what it is. Just have to hope these young guys improve and give us one last good season under Boeheim, and that we nail the next coaching hire. There’s not a lot to say right now? The time for angst at slipping has passed IMO.
This is it, precisely. Sadly there’s very little reason to think this program will see a return to the prowess we had from 2009-2014. We’re simply not landing anywhere near the quality of player we did back then. We’re left hoping that maybe we can coax a mid-major-esque deep tourney run out of what we have in the next couple seasons.

Please help me see the correlation between "loving to be ranked," "relishing it," and "missing it" to "Boeheim only has one title," to your "so you couldn't have loved it that much" remark. Is it possible that one can love being ranked, relishing it and missing it, yet still be disappointed, etc. that JB only has been able to win one title? Asking for a friend. ;)
My comment was directed at tbone only and concerned his long history of whining about JB for one reason or another.

I live in St. Louis, where the local teams are Mizzou, Illinois, and SLU. All three programs would kill for our results this decade.

A portion of our fan base is just plain spoiled.

JB has had a tremendous career. But he’s living off his accomplishments. So he gets a lot of slack. It’s going to be interesting to see how the fans react late next season as the program heads for consecutive non-tourney appearances.

JB has had a tremendous career. But he’s living off his accomplishments. So he gets a lot of slack. It’s going to be interesting to see how the fans react late next season as the program heads for consecutive non-tourney appearances.

Im not throwing in the towel on 2 seasons. Almost everyone(myself included) thought we would finish near the bottom of the ACC at this point in 2017, and we got it together, made a run and were respectable in ACC play.

I mean, there was an “0-36 in the ACC the next two years” post made, and we finished that two year stretch with a sweet 16 berth.

We can get better this year, and we can be good next year.

Why didn’t we recruit Miles McBride?

It's a valid point, but the team is terrible and hasn't been in a game versus a good opponent this season.
Much more on the defense than the offense which is unusual for a Syracuse team. Hell, if we hit our wide open shots we’d be one of the top scoring teams in the nation.

Im not throwing in the towel on 2 seasons. Almost everyone(myself included) thought we would finish near the bottom of the ACC at this point in 2017, and we got it together, made a run and were respectable in ACC play.

I mean, there was an “0-36 in the ACC the next two years” post made, and we finished that two year stretch with a sweet 16 berth.

We can get better this year, and we can be good next year.

Oh, I’m not giving up. I’m a loyal fan. I’ll aways watch. But I’m getting frustrated. We need to finish 11-7 to have any hopes of sneaking into the tourney this year. We’ll know very shortly if that’s possible. As for next year, I just don’t see much promise if Hughes leaves (and he will) unless we bring in a ringer as a transfer. I haven’t seen much from the younger guys this year (outside of Girard and perhaps Edwards) to make me think we’re making a jump next year.

Maybe someone can explain to me why the fan base is entitled to a coaching change on their terms, but the coach isn’t entitled to finish his career on his own terms.

Why are you speaking on behalf of the “fan base”. Seems like most people here are resigned to watching JB’s tenure play out until he’s ready to call it a career. Some are griping but that’s message boards for you. Welcome to the Internet.

That being said, precious few leaders get to go out entirely on their own terms when their success is consistently diminishing. Boeheim is being allowed to do just that. It’s pretty rare.

Why are you speaking on behalf of the “fan base”. Seems like most people here are resigned to watching JB’s tenure play out until he’s ready to call it a career. Some are griping but that’s message boards for you. Welcome to the Internet.

That being said, precious few leaders get to go out entirely on their own terms when their success is consistently diminishing. Boeheim is being allowed to do just that. It’s pretty rare.

I’m always reminded of Tubby Smith when he coached at Kentucky. In 10 years, he won a National title, 5 SEC championships and went to the Elite 8 four times. But he could never live up to expectations (the national title came in his first year) and resigned to take the job at Minnesota.

Some might say, well, that’s Kentucky. But, well, maybe that’s our problem.

I’m not speaking on behalf of the fan base, I’m questioning it.

I’m not speaking on behalf of the fan base, I’m questioning it.

We are at the point where fear of change no longer matters. It can't get any worse than this. This roster is not ACC-caliber, and our results vs P5 teams reflects this. We don't belong on the same court other middling P5 teams. JB gets paid to win games, when you cant do that its time to go.

I’m always reminded of Tubby Smith when he coached at Kentucky. In 10 years, he won a National title, 5 SEC championships and went to the Elite 8 four times. But he could never live up to expectations (the national title came in his first year) and resigned to take the job at Minnesota.

Some might say, well, that’s Kentucky. But, well, maybe that’s our problem.
You’re right. We should act even more entitled and spoiled.

We are at the point where fear of change no longer matters. It can't get any worse than this. This roster is not ACC-caliber, and our results vs P5 teams reflects this. We don't belong on the same court other middling P5 teams. JB gets paid to win games, when you cant do that its time to go.
Who were the two middling P5 teams?

Dude..It can get a lot worse than this

You’re right. We should act even more entitled and spoiled.

You’re wrong. It’s not a matter of being spoiled or entitlement. As we find out, once a program slips it can be hard to get it back. Don’t assume anything.

You’re wrong. It’s not a matter of being spoiled or entitlement. As we find out, once a program slips it can be hard to get it back. Don’t assume anything.
Well, according to people like you, it’s already too late...so what’s your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom