West Virginia is showing how fast it takes to turn around | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

West Virginia is showing how fast it takes to turn around

Status
Not open for further replies.
agree on all this. One quibble: Virginia doesn’t have anywhere near the basketball tradition of Syracuse and Louisville.
they also haven't had the same coach for 44 years. unlimited reign. able to dictate his terms of employment.
during JB'S era louisville has won 3 championships and virginia 1. same as syracuse.
per wiki : In the 18-game era (2012–2019) of ACC play Virginia had four of the five teams to go 16–2 or better.[19] UVA was also the only ACC program to finish a season 17–1 (none went undefeated).[19] Men's coach Tony Bennetthas won the prestigious Henry Iba Award three times, second only to legend John Wooden.
rough translation. we're looking up at both.

Last edited:
People say that SU fans shouldn't take Boeheim for granted.

Syracuse University shouldn't take the SU basketball fanbase for granted. We're 1st or 2nd in attendance every single year. There are lots of other things people could do on a freezing cold weeknight besides spend their hard-earned money to trudge up to the Dome to watch a basketball game.

they also haven't had the same coach for 44 years. unlimited reign. able to dictate his terms of employment.
during JB'S era louisville has won 3 championships and virginia 1. same as syracuse.
per wiki : In the 18-game era (2012–2019) of ACC play Virginia had four of the five teams to go 16–2 or better.[19] UVA was also the only ACC program to finish a season 17–1 (none went undefeated).[19] Men's coach Tony Bennetthas won the prestigious Henry Iba Award three times, second only to legend John Wooden.
rough translation. we're looking up at both.

I checked the records and Ville only has two. Coach Cal with only one title, Izzo with only one and Self with only one. It’s pretty hard to win titles. Huggins, who I think is a great coach, never even played for the title. most coaches have none.

Cuse

People say that SU fans shouldn't take Boeheim for granted.

Syracuse University shouldn't take the SU basketball fanbase for granted. We're 1st or 2nd in attendance every single year. There are lots of other things people could do on a freezing cold weeknight besides spend their hard-earned money to trudge up to the Dome to watch a basketball game.
And eventually they will, if they haven't yet. There has to be an understanding that, ultimately, it's entertainment. If the entertainment value isn't there, people will be entertained elsewhere.

I feel like this is the same conversation the football side had for years while the AD let the program erode.

What question? That fans don’t get to be upset that the program hasn’t been top 25, title contending caliber in several years? Your question is profoundly silly.
There’s a huge difference between being upset and acting like entitled, spoiled brats.

My original point shows that can turn things around quickly
Your original post shows nothing. It was cherry picked to match your agenda.

This thread has only served as yet another place for the frustrated, and yes, sometimes spoiled fans to place blame because they cannot cope with the team not winning as much as they’d like. It’s an interesting study in fan culture that you think you‘re instructive.

Because he was complaining all the time even when we were elite. What you’re saying is disingenuous.

So what he was complaining then. I'm certain he wasn't the only one within the footprint of this fanatics membership here, let alone beyond this place, where the vast majority of other SU fans exist.

The larger point I was being "disingenuous" on is precisely what you did; "he was complaining all the time even when we were elite." That many people here focus more on the name of a particular poster, and the 'emotion' it festers upon them versus the actual subject matter. So, instead of responding to what is actually being stated, their weakness gets the better of them by their (rather predictable) response to that poster.

A great post was made by a poster a ways back: "It's funny how a skunk can't smell his own stink. What irritates us in other people is very valuable. It gives us insight in our own character. I never censor anyone. I try to have thick skin. People only take away from you what you let them. People only upset you because of your own weaknesses. Threatening to ignore someone is clearly an indication of weakness of character. The Japanese have a saying the first person to show any emotion or raise their voice in a discussion loses."

Moreover, relative to the specific post/matter, keeping the noise and static from bleeding into one's personal weaknesses, the poster very well may have loved being ranked, relishing it and missing it, regardless if said poster complained on other matters while ranked. On its face, one (for the most part) has nothing to do with the other.

This thread has only served as yet another place for the frustrated, and yes, sometimes spoiled fans to place blame because they cannot cope with the team not winning as much as they’d like. It’s an interesting study in fan culture that you think you‘re instructive.

I mean, isn’t serving as a place to vent about your favorite team when things aren’t going well the entire reason message boards exist?

There is. So maybe direct your ire to the posters here who are acting like that, and spare the rest of us the broad brush righteous indignation.
That’s precisely what I did. If you don’t consider yourself amongst that group, then you shouldn’t be this triggered.

A Baby Yoda, if you will.

Both burst into the scene out of nowhere, just starting to discover their power, maybe still living in the shadows of more powerful characters/trolls.

Will they have the staying power? To soon to tell imo.

That’s precisely what I did. If you don’t consider yourself amongst that group, then you shouldn’t be this triggered.
Oy vey, that word. Carry on, Ryan Reynolds.

also an interesting study in blame deflection as well. you know who runs the show. you see the result.
"HEY LOOK OVER THERE !"

also an interesting study in blame deflection as well. you know who runs the show. you see the result.
"HEY LOOK OVER THERE !"

If he gets all the blame, then he also gets all the credit too. The good far outweighs the bad. I look forward to your posts giving Jimmy ALL the credit for all the great seasons Syracuse has had in his tenure.

I mean, isn’t serving as a place to vent about your favorite team when things aren’t going well the entire reason message boards exist?
No fanboys gotta fanboy.
It’s like these people can’t just avoid these threads instead they have to white knight being a better fan than others.

If he gets all the blame, then he also gets all the credit too. The good far outweighs the bad. I look forward to your posts giving Jimmy ALL the credit for all the great seasons Syracuse has had in his tenure.
funny you would choose the word "HAD" . past tense. i credited him above for the past (kudos) . let's talk about the present tense of syracuse basketball. is it where you would like to be ? or perhaps less so. if so why ?

funny you would choose the word "HAD" . i credited him above for the past (kudos) . let's talk about the present tense of syracuse basketball. is it where you would like to be ? or perhaps less so. if so why ?

So he’s one of the all time great coaches? I agree.

This is a little mean. Couscuse doesn’t talk down to people. He just trolls.
Townie lectures.

Not trying to be mean honestly. Truly I’m a guy who admires his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom