Western Michigan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Western Michigan

Our problem is our offense. 50 points in three games is not good. We will need at least 30 to win. I’m not sure we can score 30.
If MSU can score 51 we can hit 30. They just scored 7 at home against a mediocre P12 team

I am going to lay the points. Syracuse wins this one. The DL of Western Michigan will be okay but we will make enough plays on offense to win this.
Syracuse 31 Western Michigan 21.

Same

The major concern here is we went from people talking about a 10 win season to now being worried about beating Western Michigan. Brutal.

I had kind of hoped we had passed the Shafer level where you worried about how long Colgate and Akron would stay in the game. Feels like we're back to that point again.

I had kind of hoped we had passed the Shafer level where you worried about how long Colgate and Akron would stay in the game. Feels like we're back to that point again.

I don't know if were back to that level ( god that was awful) but this season has definitely brought back a lot of the bad issues from Babers first two seasons. The D I thought rebounded from that horrific Maryland performance but the offense still looks absolutely lost. Going to put up a separate post about it but its clear something is way off as this doesn't look anything like the offense we saw from the first couple seasons under Dino even before last year. Something even seems off with the staff as well.

If MSU can score 51 we can hit 30. They just scored 7 at home against a mediocre P12 team

ASU's defense is nowhere near mediocre. I was at the game, as I have a rooting interest for the Sun Devils, and MSU fans were stunned with how good ASU's defense is.

Also, on offense, they started true freshman at QB and Center, and drove the ball down 75 yards late in the game for the game winning score against the nation's #1 defense. Overall, 28 freshman/first year players saw the field at Spartan Stadium.

ASU is better than mediocre. And they proved it on Saturday.

I don't know if were back to that level ( god that was awful) but this season has definitely brought back a lot of the bad issues from Babers first two seasons. The D I thought rebounded from that horrific Maryland performance but the offense still looks absolutely lost. Going to put up a separate post about it but its clear something is way off as this doesn't look anything like the offense we saw from the first couple seasons under Dino even before last year. Something even seems off with the staff as well.

It's definitely not at that level for sure, I hope that by the end of the season it isn't. I just have a bad feeling as I've been saying, that almost every game is going to be a struggle. Some will go our way, others won't, and there will still be a couple really bad losses. Like you said, something doesn't feel right and it has nothing to do with Clemson.

I don't buy that stuff. Too many variables. Temple just beat Maryland, so they are going undefeated right?

The truth is that outside of the top elite programs and the very bottom (UCONN, etc) - the middle is matchups and a lot of mediocrity. We thought WMU was going to be good last year when we almost lost to them and they had some very questionable losses.
Like for the UCONN reference.

I don't think we've played a game yet that would beat the Broncos. We need to show significant improvement - right now.

If we play the way we did ca Liberty, we will win by 2 TDs.

People are completely losing their minds.

If we played defense like we did against Clemson we have a good shot to beat Maryland.

Our defense wasn't prepared for Maryland. It was a terrible preparation. We played soft and let their speed get into space.
Against Clemson we had an equally awful offensive gameplan. The OL and playcalling were atrocious.

Western Michigan is less talented than the worst ACC team. We are going to be fine in this game as long the coaches prepare the team properly.

Last edited:
You might want to go with a White Pine. They have the softest needles. Stay away from the Blue Spruce.
he's not a young man, a little pain might clear out some barnacles

They are better but not way better. Hence saying we win by 2 TDs vs 24 points on the road.

It’s cute that some here think so highly of WMU because of the coaching connection.

I think highly of them because (1) they just beat a team that beat Tennessee and they did it by 47 points, (2) they have a very good quarterback and veteran line and (3) we couldn't stop them last year. I don't think highly of us so far.

Those who think this will be a "We're Syracuse and you're not" game or that being at home will save are delusional. We have to get a lot better quickly.

Don't worry about the transitive properties in this game. Wonder about the emotions. Going from 7:30 ABC full house, #1 team to Noon, ACCN, half full, MAC team is tricky for the staff and motivation.

Won't be the same motivational problem for WMU. They have an experienced QB and some talent at skill positions that will help them hang around.

Spread is low for a reason.
it's the super bowl for wmu - they get their shot at a depressed, beat up, beatable name school. it's going to suck when they score on some goofy bs h back spread wide who runs to the back field to the side line to the backfield, then the shafer chafers will come out and yell about how dunkelberper would've changed everything with more time

I am going to lay the points. Syracuse wins this one. The DL of Western Michigan will be okay but we will make enough plays on offense to win this.
Syracuse 31 Western Michigan 21.

10 point win sounds right, but I expect WMU to score 28-31.

I think our offense will let out a bunch of frustrations and score 10 more.

I think highly of them because (1) they just beat a team that beat Tennessee and they did it by 47 points, (2) they have a very good quarterback and veteran line and (3) we couldn't stop them last year. I don't think highly of us so far.

Those who think this will be a "We're Syracuse and you're not" game or that being at home will save are delusional. We have to get a lot better quickly.

Tennessee sucks. Georgia State sucks. Despite being 2-1 look at their computer ranking. They barely beat Furman.

Last year was our first game and on the road. Our D is a lot better this time around which is at home. WMU is probably around the 75th best team. Sure we could lose to them. But being scared of this game is silly.

Uttering the words Scott Shafer right now are BS. The guy was so in overhead as a HC I don't want to even think about it.

We got are a$$ kicked 2 weeks in a row. That doesn't mean we are back to the Shafer level. The Shafer level is having a leader who isn't composed on the sidelines and can't conduct a press conference without causing fans to cringe.

We were up 34-7 at halftime last year. Our defense played terribly in one quarter and give Western some credit but they didn't shred us last year. An 84 yard and 62 yard TD allowed them to keep the game close.

They can have a good QB and OL. Syracuse has more talent. If the coaches do their jobs we will win this game by more than 1 score.

Do they have corners who can play man vs Jackson and Harris and a DL who can get consistent pressure with 3 or 4? That’s the ball game, IMO.

Shafer could've had Bill Walsh as his OC and he still was in over his head. Lester was able to articulate a plan when he was here - which was nice.

Otherwise yeah these MAC game clearly can have their issues esp with a team that might be bit fragile right now.
To be fair, Shafer had bigger things on his plate. I mean, ISIS was out there killing people. Who on here could have coached through that?!

We were up 34-7 at halftime last year. Our defense played terribly in one quarter and give Western some credit but they didn't shred us last year. An 84 yard and 62 yard TD allowed them to keep the game close.

They can have a good QB and OL. Syracuse has more talent. If the coaches do their jobs we will win this game by more than 1 score.
Are you counting a PAT as a score? Just wondering...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom