Western Michigan | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Western Michigan

Looking at the box score from last year is a little concerning.

We were 11/26 passing.
Our RBs had 40 carries for 122 yards.
Dungey had 200 yards rushing - he's not here
Custis had 168 yards receiving. No other WR had a catch.
Only had 1 sack.

We were really hoping for a better showing against MSU. Many WMU fans thought it was the year we could catch them looking.

MSU finally decided to play some offense while WMU's defense looked confused all game. However... Lewerke was throwing darts for the first time in his damn career that day. Seemed like a case of WMU playing awkwardly bad and MSU playing insanely well... Match ups in college are what they are... As its always been said ... "it never looks as bad or as good as it really is". WMU's defense is going to continue to be their achilles heal...

MSU had a NEW offense that WMU had not really seen.
SU has basically the same offense we played against last season
Its the ONLY hope I have that our DC can create a game plan that has ANY success.

Not being a dick but I do NOT think that SU's defense is anywhere near MSU's defense. Does that mean WMU can move the ball? Hopefully... but as I said earlier. SU will likely pound and grind this game. WMU will need to really learn how to stop a solid run game. SU will likely be much more effective on the ground than they have been to this point.

Oh... and trying to break this down using the transitive properties... is likely not the best. Liberty beating Buffalo? Yep. Buffalo is on a downswing after losing nearly EVERY productive player... Looks very similar to GaState winning against Tennessee and then almost losing to Furman. Then Furman almost beating VaTech!?
College football is likley where most weak betters lose all of their money taking points... Screw any given sunday.. how about any given SATURDAY!

I am unfortunately going to be at a damn wedding Saturday afternoon and i'll just leave it at that... other than its not my own and I am PISSED!

So after reading the WMU fan posts I see that SU will try to stuff the run and gamble the DB's can contain the receivers. Bellemy is going to be tough as heck to stop if WMU gets any kind of passing game going. WMU will play action in the beginning or throw quick to the WR's SU is backing off on to open up the running game.

The only coach to lose to a MAC team since 1980 is Gerg. Like Dino said last night R.E.L.A.X

I think we see signs of improvement with a mix of some sloppy stuff
End of the day we right the ship and start moving in the right direction of piling up Ws
We have to much talent overall and our coach is to good
No more nonsense talk of if we lose or WMU is better
THIS IS OUR HOUSE
I won't listen to your nonsense anymore
LETSGO!!!

ASU's defense is nowhere near mediocre. I was at the game, as I have a rooting interest for the Sun Devils, and MSU fans were stunned with how good ASU's defense is.

Also, on offense, they started true freshman at QB and Center, and drove the ball down 75 yards late in the game for the game winning score against the nation's #1 defense. Overall, 28 freshman/first year players saw the field at Spartan Stadium.

ASU is better than mediocre. And they proved it on Saturday.
Are you in Lansing?

So after reading the WMU fan posts I see that SU will try to stuff the run and gamble the DB's can contain the receivers. Bellemy is going to be tough as heck to stop if WMU gets any kind of passing game going. WMU will play action in the beginning or throw quick to the WR's SU is backing off on to open up the running game.

I think you're right, but I don't think it's as much a gamble in the secondary as you do. I think it works. And I think our DE's start to eat up their OL as the game goes on.

Beating Toledo because the refs weren't paying attention to an extra point that clearly went left is maybe the most depressing way to win a football game. Even after review they called it good. 2011 was weird.

A win is a win. (Plus lots of little decisions and penalties and etc. slightly influence games - who knows what happens if they call it right? Does our D fight just a bit more down 2?)

I could've sworn i heard rumblings about cisco and iffy getting hurt
Ill get ringed out for this but those are studs we can patch over for a game.

Coley and Clarke are each serviceable safeties (clarke may be hurt too..).

Trill can MOVE TO CORNER FOR GOD SAKES, and Stritz can take over nickel

I think you're right, but I don't think it's as much a gamble in the secondary as you do. I think it works. And I think our DE's start to eat up their OL as the game goes on.

Maybe Cusian, but the DE's can't eat up a couple of things. One...if WMU has a lead and can pass or run thus no pin the ears back mentality and Two...play fakes draw the young/inexperienced LB's in. That said, they (LB's) did a decent job vs Clemson. I like your confidence in the secondary and I share that as well.

This is an excellent "let's see what this SU team really has" game.

Ill get ringed out for this but those are studs we can patch over for a game.

Coley and Clarke are each serviceable safeties (clarke may be hurt too..).

Trill can MOVE TO CORNER FOR GOD SAKES, and Stritz can take over nickel
As hysterical as people got on the game thread Cordy was good all game. He was physically mismatched with Clemson’s giants but he stuck with guys better than Bama’s secondary and made plays, they picked on him but he didn’t get beaten like a drum.

As hysterical as people got on the game thread Cordy was good all game. He was physically mismatched with Clemson’s giants but he stuck with guys better than Bama’s secondary and made plays, they picked on him but he didn’t get beaten like a drum.
Deleted my original response because I hate seeming like Im picking on players. I think Trill at corner gives us a better opportunity at not only breaking up big plays, but forcing turnovers. Cordy has a tendency to commit PI fairly often as well, whether called or not.

Beating Toledo because the refs weren't paying attention to an extra point that clearly went left is maybe the most depressing way to win a football game. Even after review they called it good. 2011 was weird.

with the obvious exception of the WVU game, the 2011 team was complete trash.

Deleted my original response because I hate seeming like Im picking on players. I think Trill at corner gives us a better opportunity at not only breaking up big plays, but forcing turnovers. Cordy has a tendency to commit PI fairly often as well, whether called or not.
If he could use a broom he would have been good

Eh...there was one view that looked like it was a miss and another view where the ball disappeared behind the goal post.

Likely a bad call, but there was enough not to change the call on the field.

giving you more credit than I want to for putting an asterisk on that win because of a bad call

no random WMU fan knows anything about that irrelevant game. have to conclude you're just a troll

P5 wins are a big deal to the MAC, but they're especially big when they're taken away by something like what happened. Most of us who have been fans for a while remember that game. You can conclude that i'm a troll if you want to, I hate Toledo anyway so I really could care less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom