Western Michigan | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Western Michigan

Looks like we will get them week 1 next year maybe it will be good to get them out of the way quickly. The team the fans and the athletic department created a week 3 monster that this team was obviously not ready for. Time to right the ship starting this week, do that and two weeks of easy living and hopefully return to health follow

I would say there were a lot of factors that played against us, beginning with the OL, including the QB & WRs and adding the D vs. Maryland. Don’t think the Clemson monster the AD created was the biggest reason we are 1-2. In fact, if you want to be good and a Top 10-20 level team consistently these things need to happen more. AD did its job. Nothing more, nothing less. Also can’t blame fans for getting excited. Need more of that, too.

Looking at their two wins I can’t tell much about WMU in order to generalize - against Georgia State they had a lot of long TD runs. Against Monmouth most of their scoring was through the air. In both cases they jumped out to large early leads. I’m glad this one is in the Dome

PJ Flecks best recruits are now upper classman on this team.

I would say there were a lot of factors that played against us, beginning with the OL, including the QB & WRs and adding the D vs. Maryland. Don’t think the Clemson monster the AD created was the biggest reason we are 1-2. In fact, if you want to be good and a Top 10-20 level team consistently these things need to happen more. AD did its job. Nothing more, nothing less. Also can’t blame fans for getting excited. Need more of that, too.

No I wasn’t blaming anyone honestly, just really meant that the team just wasn’t ready for a hype machine game like this. They just aren’t good enough yet. I am beyond grateful that we had a sellout and that the fans were fired up.

ubish welcome to our board. Is there a WMU fan board besides the one at CSNBBS.com? If so,, can you supply a link? Are you coming to the game?

CSNBBS is the main board. Unfortunately I won't be at the game, but I'll be watching from home.

PJ Flecks best recruits are now upper classman on this team.

There are a couple of PJ guys left, but for the most part this team is full of Lester's recruits who are as a whole rated higher than the classes PJ brought in.

CSNBBS is the main board. Unfortunately I won't be at the game, but I'll be watching from home.

There are a couple of PJ guys left, but for the most part this team is full of Lester's recruits who are as a whole rated higher than the classes PJ brought in.

Yep. Lester's past few classes have been at the top of the MAC in terms of ratings (if that means anything to anyone).

This is not going to be as easy a game as people think.

Lester is a good coach. I think he has an excellent O mind. IMHO one of the better assistant coaches at SU over the last 10 years.

I don't think anyone besides a decent percentage of this board thinks it will be an easy game. This current SU team has struggled to put together any sort of consistent offensive performance and while the D has been really good at times can you really sit here and say they will play well on Sat? I know I cant. Coming off a tough Clemson game with multiple starters injured against a staff very familiar with SU and the Dome and a veteran offense is a recipe for disaster if this team doesn't come out and play like its ranking for the first time this year. Staff and Team need to step up on Saturday or things could get real ugly.

Lester is a good coach. I think he has an excellent O mind. IMHO one of the better assistant coaches at SU over the last 10 years.
he's in a perfect spot for him. he's a legend there

i'll be interested to see what they do. i'm convinced that offensive coordinators in tough spots (oh like he was here) will choose a high variance strange strategy. if doing something normal won't be good enough, might as well try something weird on the off chance it'll work. so that's how we got h backs running backwards to take handoffs.

I bet now that he's settled in as a head coach at his alma mater, he'll run a more conventional spread and will be better off for it

SU has to show up for this game and if anyone doesn't think WMU won't be ready and pumped for this game is going to be in for a surprise.

he's in a perfect spot for him. he's a legend there

You'd be surprised, there's a very vocal minority that wants him gone yesterday. They think he's too soft and smiles too much, and that he has unlimited job security because he played there as a QB. They also think he doesn't care about winning because of that invented job security and blast him for not having higher standards (the phrase "just happy to be there" is mentioned often).

Winning big like we did in 2016 really messes with your fan base if you can't keep it up. It's hard to see the good when you're always comparing to an almost perfect season.

If we do lose I'd say our chances of getting a bowl game are super slim. The players should be playing with their backs against the wall.

The only good thing is it looks like the ACC aside from Clemson, Virginia and Wake is a dumpster fire.

people think that? it'll be even worse with bad inury luck going into this (i.e. still no heckle, bear, and secondary players being out)

people think that? it'll be even worse with bad inury luck going into this (i.e. still no heckle, bear, and secondary players being out)

How many secondary players are you missing?

Okay, WMU guy here. I'm straight-up, I pick Syracuse to win -- but I would by no means shocked if WMU win (which Vegas odds reflect).

About the WMU vs MSU game. MSU has always had a powerful D in any relatively decent year or better. This year, in terms of yards given up: They're #3. They've given up 216 yards on average. How many did WMU get? 354 yards. Which is more than most B1G teams will get against them. MSU held Tulsa to 80 yards. Tulsa scored 21 points against Oklahoma State in the 1st half.

WMU has a high powered offense -- by P5 standards. You'd be fooling yourself otherwise if not thinking that. WMU should have scored more based on that -- missed 2 FGs (one a chip shot), and threw an INT by our good QB in the end-zone.

WMU has a high powered offense for P5, but...
WMU has a bad-but-improving D for G5

That's your saving grace against an upset by a team lead by a former SU coach going into the Dome.

WMU gave up over 300 yards to FCS team -- granted an expected decent one with a 5th year SR QB who's among the better in FCS -- but still. Bad.

And despite holding Georgia State to 10, who scored MANY on Tennessee, they still got 336 or so yards. So it wasn't like they couldn't move the ball. We forced turnovers to keep their score low, while we scored AT WILL. Our D improved, but it was helped by keeping them out of rhythm, but they helped themselves on that with penalties, traveling all the way up to Michigan, from Georgia. WMU's D is improving. And MSU's Offense & it's potential isn't as bad as you think. They had 400 yards on AZ-State, despite scoring just 7pts (3 missed FGs too; would have won, but still too few points for yards gained).

In the end, Babers is a good coach. SU is NOT in a typical situation to "bounce back" after a bad game. SU's chances would be Better if they played WMU right after that bad Maryland game -- not after that + Clemson who's been 'rival' of sorts the last two years, to get shelacked. Babers will have him ready the best he can.

I expect Syracuse to get their O going like MSU did -- and to put up about 34-40 pts. I expect the noise & heat of the Dome to keep WMU at bay, and SU wins the turnover battle, which makes them pull out the win by 10-17 pts.

I could've sworn i heard rumblings about cisco and iffy getting hurt
They both where hurt in the game. I did see them both on the sideline for the rest of the game but without helmets. Hopefully they both are fine for the game.

When PJ got his program rolling he got some nice recruits like Wassink and Bellamy and several others who are a strong senior leadership core.

Last edited:
Okay, WMU guy here. I'm straight-up, I pick Syracuse to win -- but I would by no means shocked if WMU win (which Vegas odds reflect).

About the WMU vs MSU game. MSU has always had a powerful D in any relatively decent year or better. This year, in terms of yards given up: They're #3. They've given up 216 yards on average. How many did WMU get? 354 yards. Which is more than most B1G teams will get against them. MSU held Tulsa to 80 yards. Tulsa scored 21 points against Oklahoma State in the 1st half.

WMU has a high powered offense -- by P5 standards. You'd be fooling yourself otherwise if not thinking that. WMU should have scored more based on that -- missed 2 FGs (one a chip shot), and threw an INT by our good QB in the end-zone.

WMU has a high powered offense for P5, but...
WMU has a bad-but-improving D for G5

That's your saving grace against an upset by a team lead by a former SU coach going into the Dome.

WMU gave up over 300 yards to FCS team -- granted an expected decent one with a 5th year SR QB who's among the better in FCS -- but still. Bad.

And despite holding Georgia State to 10, who scored MANY on Tennessee, they still got 336 or so yards. So it wasn't like they couldn't move the ball. We forced turnovers to keep their score low, while we scored AT WILL. Our D improved, but it was helped by keeping them out of rhythm, but they helped themselves on that with penalties, traveling all the way up to Michigan, from Georgia. WMU's D is improving. And MSU's Offense & it's potential isn't as bad as you think. They had 400 yards on AZ-State, despite scoring just 7pts (3 missed FGs too; would have won, but still too few points for yards gained).

In the end, Babers is a good coach. SU is NOT in a typical situation to "bounce back" after a bad game. SU's chances would be Better if they played WMU right after that bad Maryland game -- not after that + Clemson who's been 'rival' of sorts the last two years, to get shelacked. Babers will have him ready the best he can.

I expect Syracuse to get their O going like MSU did -- and to put up about 34-40 pts. I expect the noise & heat of the Dome to keep WMU at bay, and SU wins the turnover battle, which makes them pull out the win by 10-17 pts.

Nice post, thanks for providing context on how WMU has done so far

Western is as good or better than we are at this point.

Another WMU fan here ...

Some thoughts so far on our season.

1. Our defense is a continual work in progress and we were exposed trying to be too cute against MSU and we looked like garbage. Gave up WAY too many big plays. Basically a new DC this year (started end of last season as an interim however didn't really change much up until this off-season) so learning curve is starting to shrink day by day and game by game. The GaState game was evidence that they started to finally gel as a defense. Only allowed 10pts - all in the first quarter. Locked things down as the game progressed. I have hope that the improvement continues or we are going to be yet another feel good story for a down trodden offense looking to explode in Syracuse.

2. Offense runs directly through QB Jon Wassink. He's basically a field OC working in direct tandem with Coach Lester. He sees the field really well and executes his check downs only taking what the defense gives him. He is generally secure with the ball and doesn't really try to force many throws. His efficiency is sometimes effected by the young wide outs not running the correct routes... but that is starting to fade as they are learning day to day. We start a sophomore, rs-frosh and true frosh as WR's. Lots of youth. You will probably hear the name Skyy Moore quite a bit... he seems to be breaking out as Jon's go to... and he's the true frosh.

3. Our strength on offense against MSU was our TE - Giovanni Ricci. He's a senior and was converted from WR to TE awhile back... I think beginning of last season. He's gained a ton of weight and speed and run's his routes very well... he's a mismatch for most LB-ers and can be a safety valve target for Jon... He will be critical for WMU to move the ball effectively.

4. Run game exploded against GaState, but that was more on GaState than WMU in my opinion. Our OL is stout and well aged... but GaState was terrible at the point of attack... allowing for some HUGE run plays. I DO NOT think we can get our running game going against SU unless we are really clicking on all cylinders in the pass game.

5. Specials teams are MUCH improved since our last meeting. I swear last year SU average starting field position was inside WMU's 40yd line ALL GAME. Can't win a game when you give the opponent a short field all game long. Punter has improved. Jury still out on the PK... he's a transfer. New kid. Huge leg but suffers from the laterals on occasion. Cost us a few points in East Lansing. I feel we will fare much better with regard to field position this time around.

All in all... I think WMU puts up a bit of a fight. I just haven't seen enough from this team to feel overly confident that they can stop anyone at the P5 level. GaState had a very dynamic offense with a speed guy at QB... Will be interesting to see how WMU adjusts their defensive strategy to handle a more standard pocket guy...

I think its close for a bit but SU overwhelms the WMU defense on the ground as the game goes on... adjustments are made by WMU to counter and then SU attacks the back end for some huge gainers. Won't go out and predict a score... just that SU is going to be tough to defeat on the road with the defense I have seen out of WMU.

As a WMU fan I hope I am wrong. Lets hope for an injury free game from both sides... We have our biggest rival the following week and we need all hands on deck so as to demolish and demoralize them.

Will be interesting to see how WMU adjusts their defensive strategy to handle a more standard pocket guy...

Well, that'll be easier, IMO. What did we do last season when he was put in? :) Not to say he won't be better than he was when stepping in last season, but (a) I don't think it will be worlds apart, as he had natural talent last year too, and (b) A worse D likes those better.

WMU posters (so far anyway) = classy, respectful, and knowledgeable. Well done.

Agreed, a knowledgeable bunch who appear realistic about their team and the matchup. Very refreshing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom