What about Moyer | Syracusefan.com

What about Moyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave85

Living Legend
RE: "Matthew Moyer has started all four games for the Orange this season but is still looking to make a big impact.

Since playing 28 minutes against Cornell and grabbing 10 rebounds, he has combined for 10 rebounds in the last three games and hasn't topped 20 minutes of action.

In 12 minutes against Oakland, he had two points, three rebounds and a blocked shot.

Moyer provides a big presence down low at 6-8, 215 and he is fourth on the team with a total of 20 rebounds, but averages just 1.5 points per game. "

What are people's thoughts on Moyer?

He had some good minutes in some games getting rebounds. I think he needs to keep working on his game. He seems a little bulky and slower than some of the other players. I'm not sure if it's just his body type or if he could lose a few. I think with Bourama's knee injury already these guys are going to get banged up during the season. I hope Moyer doesn't lose his enthusiasm because of his limited PT. Hopefully there will be moments during the season when he can come in and make a solid contribution. I hope he's ready to contribute his best possible game when he does. CBB is brutal. So much hard work and it's so competitive just to play!

Last edited:
Playing him isn't worth sitting dolezaj. If he had one intangible marek didn't have, but he doesn't. And I don't mean this to be harsh on Moyer it's more a testament to Marek.

Pretty much agree with this. Hoping when he does play that Moyer can give us rebounds and some putback points off those as best case scenario.

Haven't seen all the games but what I did see was him being tentative or unsure on offense in his ability to shoot or create a shot for himself. Seems like he rather give the ball up to someone else. Not too worried as at least he is not trying to force things for himself, instead being a middle man type of guy whose presence helps others score or move the ball around. The fact that he is rebounding (playing D) for now is good, and eventually as PT increases, his comfort level and willingness to make a higher impact will increase. For now, why deny the hot hand of Battle and the greater leadership/experience of Frank, and even the bigs are doing some good things. His time to shine may come a little later than we think it should, but it will of course. Who knows, he may have a break out game when least expected.

I personally am enamored with Moyer, but have been disappointed so far. He has seemed a little lost out there. His tapes from high school and his conn. Gatorade player of the year award had me expecting much more.

Knowing the type of kid he seems to be I think he will continue to work his tail off and over his next three years will come into his own.

Wasn't impressed by his high school vids. In them the competition looked small and he looked to play in slow motion. His stats in the overseas games weren't very good either.

He could end up being a solid 6th man his junior year and maybe start his senior year but I think that's his ceiling.

Have a feeling he'll transfer at some point though.

Wasn't impressed by his high school vids. In them the competition looked small and he looked to play in slow motion. His stats in the overseas games weren't very good either.

He could end up being a solid 6th man his junior year and maybe start his senior year but I think that's his ceiling.

Have a feeling he'll transfer at some point though.

You may be right on his ceiling, but disagree on the competition. It’s the same league Lydon, Fair and MCW played in. Goodine and Buddy are in that league right now.

I think he will be a player. Nice drop step which didn't quite work. Slick baseline move. His go to will be strength combined with just enough quick and slick to make it stick. Like a better Brower. It just doesn't happen right away. Look at PC. One day he looks like a newborn foal trying to stand up, the next like a drunk daddy longlegs. Yesterday he looked like a drunk daddy longlegs who can block, rebound, and score in close. I have spoken.

You may be right on his ceiling, but disagree on the competition. It’s the same league Lydon, Fair and MCW played in. Goodine and Buddy are in that league right now.

Was talking about in the videos I saw. I know the league is good but the guys in the videos looked tiny and unathletic.

Hard to say with him. He’ll get better eventually but how much? Who knows. Somebody above noticed he gets winded quickly and I saw that too. I’m surprised how many brain farts he has out there combined with him not playing within himself and forcing things. I guess it will take time which is fine but I really worry about his lack of athleticism to be able to compete successfully in the ACC.

I know the kid hasn't met expectations so far but I don't see him transferring out. He is an extremely intelligent kid who is going to take some time. He has good rebounding instincts and some offensive moves that he is overthinking vs just playing. His style of play and physicality paired with being a bit slow has not been a good fit vs the schedule so far. When we get up against more physical teams we will need his girth on the boards. I expect he will have some good games this season to show flashes of what he can be as solid 4 year contributor.

He looks winded after a couple minutes and really labors getting up and down the court. Has to get in a lot better shape going forward and I mean a lot
Agreed.

Kiss of death... I picked him to lead the team in rebounding in the Iggy's.

Make me proud, Matthew! Change my horrible performance!

Needs confidence and more aggressiveness. He has it, just needs to bring it.

For now though, he seems more a liability than a contributor. Hope he gets his confidence and aggressiveness.

Needs confidence and more aggressiveness. He has it, just needs to bring it.

For now though, he seems more a liability than a contributor. Hope he gets his confidence and aggressiveness.

I actually think it's the opposite, he may need to be a bit less aggressive and slow the game down a bit. I think he just seems too out of control.

I don't like him up high on offense. He's not going to drive on a quicker 3 defender and as such just reverses the ball back to a guard every time. Matthew, buddy, get down on the block or cut through the lane from the baseline.

And change your socks, those no-shows are just wierd.

I will chime in here although I am hesitant to do so.

First off, I've been a huge Moyer supporter. I've met the kid, interviewed him a few times and kept in touch with him since then. He comes from a great family (his mom is really very personable and I've gotten to know her as well) and he's a quality individual, not that that is breaking news. The reason I mention all of that is to put my comments into context. I'm biased.

Matt worked his ass off this past off-season. I think most players do, sure, but he really did. He got in better shape. He spent a ton of time in the weight room and trying to get his shot up to snuff. That said, I agree with some of the comments above that he looks like he gets tired pretty quickly and could probably be in better basketball shape. He definitely looks like he's playing in quicksand at times. I don't know if there something going on off the court that is distracting him but something doesn't look right with his demeanor and body language. He played with such passion in high school and now he just looks...out of it.

I think he also puts a lot of pressure on himself. He's waited forever to play in real games for this team and now they're here and he's struggling. I expected more from him and I'm sure JB and the staff did. I don't think he's starting just to start him. Regardless, he has provided no offense and that's not going to work. As Francis said on his pod, Matt looks like he's trying so hard to be a perimeter guy, he's forgotten who he is. Matt could make jumpers in high school but he's a slasher. He needs to do his damage inside and be the lunch pail guy. Take the ball strong to the rack and draw fouls. Hit the offensive glass. Set up a teammate off the bounce.

Matt played against very good competition in the NEPSAC his last year so to say he dominated bad competition is wrong. His detractors (some whom are in this thread) are looking accurate right now. That said, it's only 4 games. He did have a 10 rebound game and he's had his moments. I just hope he gets a few shots to fall and does some positive things because when this kid is right, he can help us this year. And contrary to popular belief, we will need him this year. We can play Tyus some at the 3 (as we have done already and a lineup I've been a proponent of) but having three 6'8" forwards in the rotation really is important. Plus, Marek gets called for a lot of touch fouls. Marek could wind up in foul trouble unless he figures out NCAA officiating.

I think Moyer will contribute this year and have his moments but he just has to turn it on. The folks who are making fun of him for playing the violin are lame. And none of his hype was because of his humanitarian qualities. Some of us lauded him for those things, sure. There's a difference.

Let's also not forget that he was a late bloomer. He didn't really show up on anyone's radar until his sophomore year due to a growth sport and then a major uptick in his play his junior year really made people take notice. That's why he wasn't that highly-rated. Matt isn't some blue chip athlete who was known in the 8th grade. But he was plenty athletic enough to succeed in the NEPSAC, which is as big time as any prep league.

Moyer has a fan here no matter what he does but in the end he has to perform. I just hope he gets it together soon or he won't play much this year and then obviously will have a tough time stealing minutes from Baz next year. Either way, Matt will still bleed Orange.

The folks who are making fun of him for playing the violin are lame.

Playing the violin is makes Moyer incredible interesting and cool. But being cool is not basketball. I hope he turns it around. My OP was about I hope he doesn't lose faith while he's waiting to get his chance to shine. There's just so much competition right for PT. He's a good kid I just feel for him with all the hard work. I want him to succeed just like you.

I actually think it's the opposite, he may need to be a bit less aggressive and slow the game down a bit. I think he just seems too out of control.

Could be. Someone said he seems tentative, which I agree with. When ever he gets the ball he's looking to pass, even when he is open for a shot he's often not looking to drive or look for an offensive opportunity. Maybe he is thinking too much right now instead of letting his basketball intuition/training guide him but a lot of that can be due to lack of confidence.

He has shown the ability to aggressively go after rebounds, which is why I think he has it in him from an offensive standpoint.

I do hope he will settle into a contributing role where he is comfortable and grow from there.

Playing the violin is makes Moyer incredible interesting and cool. But being cool is not basketball. I hope he turns it around. My OP was about I hope he doesn't lose faith while he's waiting to get his chance to shine. There's just so much competition right for PT. He's a good kid I just feel for him with all the hard work. I want him to succeed just like you.

I know you want him to do well. Never thought you didn't . Never said you didn't.

First off, I've been a huge Moyer supporter. I've met the kid, interviewed him a few times and kept in touch with him since then. He comes from a great family (his mom is really very personable and I've gotten to know her as well) and he's a quality individual, not that that is breaking news. The reason I mention all of that is to put my comments into context. I'm biased.

Matt worked his ass off this past off-season. I think most players do, sure, but he really did. He got in better shape. He spent a ton of time in the weight room and trying to get his shot up to snuff. That said, I agree with some of the comments above that he looks like he gets tired pretty quickly and could probably be in better basketball shape. He definitely looks like he's playing in quicksand at times. I don't know if there something going on off the court that is distracting him but something doesn't look right with his demeanor and body language. He played with such passion in high school and now he just looks...out of it.

I think he also puts a lot of pressure on himself. He's waited forever to play in real games for this team and now they're here and he's struggling. I expected more from him and I'm sure JB and the staff did. I don't think he's starting just to start him. Regardless, he has provided no offense and that's not going to work. As Francis said on his pod, Matt looks like he's trying so hard to be a perimeter guy, he's forgotten who he is. Matt could make jumpers in high school but he's a slasher. He needs to do his damage inside and be the lunch pail guy. Take the ball strong to the rack and draw fouls. Hit the offensive glass. Set up a teammate off the bounce.

Matt played against very good competition in the NEPSAC his last year so to say he dominated bad competition is wrong. His detractors (some whom are in this thread) are looking accurate right now. That said, it's only 4 games. He did have a 10 rebound game and he's had his moments. I just hope he gets a few shots to fall and does some positive things because when this kid is right, he can help us this year. And contrary to popular belief, we will need him this year. We can play Tyus some at the 3 (as we have done already and a lineup I've been a proponent of) but having three 6'8" forwards in the rotation really is important. Plus, Marek gets called for a lot of touch fouls. Marek could wind up in foul trouble unless he figures out NCAA officiating.

I think Moyer will contribute this year and have his moments but he just has to turn it on. The folks who are making fun of him for playing the violin are lame. And none of his hype was because of his humanitarian qualities. Some of us lauded him for those things, sure. There's a difference.

Let's also not forget that he was a late bloomer. He didn't really show up on anyone's radar until his sophomore year due to a growth sport and then a major uptick in his play his junior year really made people take notice. That's why he wasn't that highly-rated. Matt isn't some blue chip athlete who was known in the 8th grade. But he was plenty athletic enough to succeed in the NEPSAC, which is as big time as any prep league.

Moyer has a fan here no matter what he does but in the end he has to perform. I just hope he gets it together soon or he won't play much this year and then obviously will have a tough time stealing minutes from Baz next year. Either way, Matt will still bleed Orange.
Let's be honest. He really is an awesome kid. He just needs more time. All of the above comments are pretty on par with what I see.

He hustles and despite his perceived lack of speed I think he gets up pretty good and fast for rebounds. Does any one else think this?

He hesitates on offense and then tries to go fast and do too much when the d is now ready. He could be trying to implement some of the moves he worked on over the summer instead of just playing loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom