What ACC Football will we resemble? | Syracusefan.com

What ACC Football will we resemble?

jr4750

All American
As long as we don't turn into Duke I'm ok with it... Wake has had success and is a comparable school to ours size wise and following.

The haves will always be...

VT
FSU
Clemson
Miami

Are we gonna be able to slot in right after that or fall to the basement...? We need to continually battle Pitt and BC to stay on their level... Those little inter-conference matchups will be big.

I think Miami belongs with the haves, especially with Golden there. They just need to survive the next few years.

I think Miami belongs with the haves, especially with Golden there. They just need to survive the next few years.
I agree... Should have included them...

As long as we don't turn into Duke I'm ok with it... Wake has had success and is a comparable school to ours size wise and following.

The haves will always be...

VT
FSU
Clemson
Miami

Are we gonna be able to slot in right after that or fall to the basement...? We need to continually battle Pitt and BC to stay on their level... Those little inter-conference matchups will be big.
We're about 16,000 students larger then Wake Forest FWIW. Not even close to the same size.

We're about 16,000 students larger then Wake Forest FWIW. Not even close to the same size.
Really? I thought Wake was around 7,000 and we are at about 12,000 Undergrads... Now that sounds like a major difference, but compared to other schools in the conference, I thought we matched up well there...

wake has around 4400 undergrads, making it the smallest bcs school. we have a much larger following than they do (and much more success).

Really? I thought Wake was around 7,000 and we are at about 12,000 Undergrads... Now that sounds like a major difference, but compared to other schools in the conference, I thought we matched up well there...
We have 14,000 undergrads, they have 4,ooo. They have around 2000 post grad. We have 6000. Taking all into account, we have about 14,000 more.

We competed favorably with VT and Miami in the past and beat Clemson 41-0 in the 1996 Gator Bowl. If the commitment is there, and I think it will be, we will be able to compete. We seem to already have begun establishing the recruiting networks where we need to be in ACC territory. I also think that this move may help to keep the coaching staff together given the certainty factor of Conference affiliation.

We'll be toward the bottom. Probably a step above Duke.

We'll be toward the bottom. Probably a step above Duke.
I hope this is sarcasm, but not sure. I don't think we'll be just ahead of Duke, I think we'll be middle of the pack, with a chance at top 3 in good years. I also think our recruiting will get better.

The real joke is that people on this board have been bad mouthing ACC football for years and now we are a part of it. As "bad" as it is we should be able to step right in and compete for the Championship.

I think when it's all said and done, the divisional split could be favorable to us in football. I see us eventually one of the top three teams in our division.

Cheers,
Neil

The real joke is that people on this board have been bad mouthing ACC football for years and now we are a part of it. As "bad" as it is we should be able to step right in and compete for the Championship.
True, but people are stupid, and we are not where we were in the '90s. FSU, VT and Clumpson are tough matchups. Until the cupboard is full and recruiting picks up I think we'll struggle a bit. I don't think we'll be "just above Duke" though.

I think when it's all said and done, the divisional split could be favorable to us in football. I see us eventually one of the top three teams in our division.

Cheers,
Neil

Our division will be our "conference". Theyw ill go to 16 and it will be as if two eight team conferecnes had an an agreement to play a certian number of non-conferecne games, a football championship and a basketball tournament. If we wind up in wa northern division with Boston College, Connecticut, Rutgers or West Virignia, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech, we'll be able to compete.

If you're worried about where we will be competitively in the ACC, just start thinking about where our program could have ended up without inclusion into a stable AQ BCS conference...???

Colgate?

We are going to be fine. I see us in the middle to top 3 in conf each year and possibly better if we can get our facilities up to par

Of that likely 8-team division, only Tech is clearly better. Ironic since before the BE, they were Southern Conf dregs. In 87 we beat them 35-17 at their field, scoring 35 straight points. Hard to believe now.

Of that likely 8-team division, only Tech is clearly better. Ironic since before the BE, they were Southern Conf dregs. In 87 we beat them 35-17 at their field, scoring 35 straight points. Hard to believe now.

35-21. We were down 7-21 and scored 28 straight points. Then we beat them 35-0 the next year so we scored 63 unanswered.

Let's not forget that in the old Big East, prior to the ACC raid, Syracuse was essentially tied for second with Va Tech as a football program behind Miami. Syracuse was clearly better than W. Va., Pitt and Boston College. Now that we have a solid coach and recruiting is getting back on track, I anticipate that Syracuse will become a solid top tier team in the ACC, behind only Fla St and Miami (I anticipate Va Tech coming back to the back).