What are Coyle's options IF not Babers? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What are Coyle's options IF not Babers?

Not sure it's Coyle's job "to be committed to hiring an offensive guy". He's not the only one making the final hiring decision - BOT has something to say about it, no? He's looking to interview/present the best candidates (in his opinion).

Ash obviously was worthy of consideration, but that he "withdrew" may've indicated a defensive direction was deemed not being right for the program - whoever made that choice: Coyle, Ash or BOT.

Babers seems the best available option, as getting "offensive" looks to be the preferred direction. Feels more like 95-5 than Bees' 50-50. The interview is CYA.

Heck for all we know..maybe Ash or a proxy read this board and Syracuse.com and said no way...

Not sure it's Coyle's job "to be committed to hiring an offensive guy". He's not the only one making the final hiring decision - BOT has something to say about it, no? He's looking to interview/present the best candidates (in his opinion).

Ash obviously was worthy of consideration, but that he "withdrew" may've indicated a defensive direction was deemed not being right for the program - whoever made that choice: Coyle, Ash or BOT.

Babers seems the best available option, as getting "offensive" looks to be the preferred direction. Feels more like 95-5 than Bees' 50-50. The interview is CYA.
I didn't say it was Coyle's job to be committed to an offensive guy. Merely said many of us have that preference. I think the BOT is a rubber stamp.

At this point I think you write things just to be negative. When DB took over Eastern Illinois they had gone 2 - 9 that season and he was taking over for a coach that had been there 25 years. Guaranteed success and no brainer?????

Bowling Green was different, their coach left for the Wake Forest job. They had gone 10 - 4 and won the MAC championship. If DB comes in and doesn't do as well, lot of people wouldn't have been happy. Lot more scrutiny when you're taking over a winning program.
Not everything he posts is negative...remember, back in the day, he was pimping Hunt for the Heisman.

And he was serious.

I think that everyone is fearing the worst. Coyle has already been high on a Pac 12 OC and a B1G DC. He does not seem to be committed to hiring an offensive guy and that bothers some of us.

As for Babers, we really don't know what his options are and it is nerve racking watching him on national TV with the announcers talking about him.

I didn't say it was Coyle's job to be committed to an offensive guy. Merely said many of us have that preference. I think the BOT is a rubber stamp.

Oh, agreed there. Basically what I meant about BOT.

I had thought from some folks in the know that it is not a BoT issue at all and the only person that needs to sign off is Seyverud. I assume that Seyverud has been intimately involved in the process with Coyle.

Edited

Were we really that close to hiring Ash, or is that internet lore? Based on the proclaimed interest in candidates with HC experience it seems that would have been shocking situation?

Like I said in the Post Game thread anything short of Babers and from a PR perspective it will be a fail. I have heard casual fans talking about it and Syracuse. If you want to start bringing the casual fan back to the dome then you have no choice but to close the deal with Babers. Anything less than Babers at this point probably no matter who it is will be a massive let down to the casual fan and they will think same ole same ole nothing is changing. Our football program needs Babers at this time.

Like I said in the Post Game thread anything short of Babers and from a PR perspective it will be a fail. I have heard casual fans talking about it and Syracuse. If you want to start bringing the casual fan back to the dome then you have no choice but to close the deal with Babers. Anything less than Babers at this point probably no matter who it is will be a massive let down to the casual fan and they will think same ole same ole nothing is changing. Our football program needs Babers at this time.

exactly what I said last night. Many of my friends go to the games but don't frequent the board. They all want Babers.

I read a lot of stuff on Ruffin McNeill (East Carolina) yesterday. Nothing but raves from fans and players. Amazing amount of positives. Even the AD was quoted as saying "I know this is not going to be a popular move." I had never heard of him before yesterday but the reaction, the praise and his overall record made me wish he had been available earlier in the process. And for anyone who has been to EC knows, the school is in the middle of nowhere so recruiting there has to be fairly tough.

I read a lot of stuff on Ruffin McNeill (East Carolina) yesterday. Nothing but raves from fans and players. Amazing amount of positives. Even the AD was quoted as saying "I know this is not going to be a popular move." I had never heard of him before yesterday but the reaction, the praise and his overall record made me wish he had been available earlier in the process. And for anyone who has been to EC knows, the school is in the middle of nowhere so recruiting there has to be fairly tough.

He failed to win a East Carolina so we should hire him for Syracuse?? No way I don't care how good of a guy he is.

are we just killing time with this thread? there's been nothing to suggest he's not coming, right? just want to make sure I have not missed anything, although I don't see how thats possible this week since i;ve basically ignored work and family.

He failed to win a East Carolina so we should hire him for Syracuse?? No way I don't care how good of a guy he is.
Failed to win? He had a 43-34 record and went to four bowl games in six years. That's not staggering success by any stretch, but it's not "failing to win." I saw the stat that all seven games they lost this year are to teams with some ridiculous combined record, all of which are going to bowl games. Brutal schedule.

Defensive guy. No thanks.

are we just killing time with this thread? there's been nothing to suggest he's not coming, right? just want to make sure I have not missed anything, although I don't see how thats possible this week since i;ve basically ignored work and family.
I certainly hope that is what we are doing.

Failed to win? He had a 43-34 record and went to four bowl games in six years. That's not staggering success by any stretch, but it's not "failing to win." I saw the stat that all seven games they lost this year are to teams with some ridiculous combined record, all of which are going to bowl games. Brutal schedule.

That is what I heard they didn't like the direction of the team and they are coming off a losing season. That is what is being talked about. He couldn't get it done to these satisfaction at East Carolina. He was well liked by everyone but they didn't like the direction of the team on the field

I know we're all a bit nervous about this, but if Babers does not come to SU then where does he go? There's no indication South Carolina or Rutgers have much interest at this point, and those searches look to be winding down. He's not LDS, so BYU is likely out.

All I know is he's probably not taking the Tulane job

I can tell you that the Rutgers fans are getting on the Babers bandwagon, in increasing numbers. Rutgers, though, is using a search firm, so it may take more time than usual to get their guy.

options?? i suppose 1 is to dig a tunnel back into Syracuse, because i wont let the failure back in.

basically everybody and their freakin grandmother now have a coach, What is his problem??

babers to Cuse needs to be done TOMORROW.

He was 42 and 35 at ECU and went to bowls in 4 out of his 6 seasons - which would be like being Vince Lombardi at Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom