What changes would you like to see in college hoops? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What changes would you like to see in college hoops?

Realistic changes I would add.
1. Allow players to sell their likeness for money.
2. Allow schools to pay for players who declare for the draft travel costs. One of the reasons players hire agents is they pay all the costs to travel around.
3. Create a champions league style competition for previous years conference champions and additional spots for the better conferences.

Other changes.
1. Make the 3 point line the FIBA distance.
2. Widen the charge circle around the rim.
3. 4 ten minute quarters with a 24 second shot clock.
4. Advance the ball in the final minute with a timeout.

I like all of these (not sure what effect 10 minute quarters would have, but I'd be willing to try it), but I really want a champions league. Either 32 with everyone getting one or 64 with the stronger conferences getting more. Add some quality regular season games and give smaller conferences the chance to bust those brackets.

I really dig the halftime interviews with the coach. But, I think they need to take it up a notch. How about interviewing the players after every made basket? "You made the three there, what a great shot. Was that really a smell your nasty fingers moment, though?"

Replace the NCAA with a much less incompetent and much more logical and open-minded organization.

Here is an easy to fix it. Have the schools be the only ones who can sell the autographs.
You want a signed a Tyus Battle jersey go to Bookstore and buy it there. You want Tyler Lydon's autograph buy it on SU website.

Players get compensated as much as their markets dictate.

Smart idea for autographs.

Now what about commercials? Appearances?

Hi. I'm a Syracuse Booster. Look at our multi million dollar facilities. Wanna go to Syracuse or Saint Bonaventure?

St. Bonaventure is not a peer school. Peer schools who could pay players with their boosters all have multi-million dollar facilities. We are a private university and if boosters are allowed to pay players whatever they want for their autographs, SU is in trouble.

Smart idea for autographs.

Now what about commercials? Appearances?
You let the players book appearances and commercials thru the AD. Create a position where a person is the liaison between the school and company.

That way the players are paid market value and not funneled money that is absurd.

For example Syracuse is Nike school. Nike wants an ad with Eric Dungey in a Nike jersey. Nike tells SU that to SU and Dungey can negotiate if he wants it.

Billy Fuccillo wants Tyus Battle in an ad. He tells SU and Battle can negotiate.

You let the players book appearances and commercials thru the AD. Create a position where a person is the liaison between the school and company.

That way the players are paid market value and not funneled money that is absurd.

For example Syracuse is Nike school. Nike wants an ad with Eric Dungey in a Nike jersey. Nike tells SU that to SU and Dungey can negotiate if he wants it.

Billy Fuccillo wants Tyus Battle in an ad. He tells SU and Battle can negotiate.

Whats the market for a college kid to do a local commercial since that's unprecedented? If a Kentucky/Oregon/OhioST/etc booster says hey we'll give you 100K for every commercial and offers that to all the top players... then what? Top boosters will still win.

I just think athletes should be able to earn spending money and have jobs. work study, mcdonalds whatever. just put a cap on the wages and income so Kentucky can't pay a kid 20K for detailing a car down at the dealership.

I think the argument is that schools make SO much money off the kids that the kids should get a piece of that pie. Allowing them to go work at McDonalds or a work study is such a slap in the face.

However I like the cap idea.

I think what they could do is just give x number of percentage of revenue generated back to the students.

3% if they generate up to $10,000,000 = Max of $300,000 to divide between players
4% if they generate $10,000,001 to 19,999,999 = Max of $800,000,000 to divide between players
5% if they generate $20,000,000+ = $1,000,000 (cap at $1.2 million)

Also give each player $10,000 for making the final four, and $25,000 if they win the tournament

Whats the market for a college kid to do a local commercial since that's unprecedented? If a Kentucky/Oregon/OhioST/etc booster says hey we'll give you 100K for every commercial and offers that to all the top players... then what? Top boosters will still win.
Fuccillo won't doesn't spend 100k per ad.
Nike probably wouldn't pay 100k either.

If Lexington Blue Blue toyota would pay overpayments than normal
Prices you could easily stop that. Also I like Pbat's suggestion of putting a cap on how much a kid could make, they shouldn't be millionaires in college but giving them good compensation should be enough and better than nothing like now.

Prices you could easily stop that.
Also I like Pbat's suggestion of putting a cap on how much a kid could make, they shouldn't be millionaires in college but giving them good compensation should be enough and better than nothing like now.

How? Companies overspend on advertising ALL the time.

But yes I absolutely agree with the cap. I don't see why they can't give a small percentage. Louisville made $45.6 million. Are they going to miss 1-2% of that? No.

How? Companies overspend on advertising ALL the time.

But yes I absolutely agree with the cap. I don't see why they can't give a small percentage. Louisville made $45.6 million. Are they going to miss 1-2% of that? No.
Good reasoning. Only let them share in what the schools take in. Basically profit sharing which a lot of successful businesses do nowadays.

Good reasoning. Only let them share in what the schools take in. Basically profit sharing which a lot of successful businesses do nowadays.
Essentially it's just a commission. They are only getting what they put into it. I know there will be argument that the school is x% responsible already for some of that revenue but why not? even if it's 1, 2, and 3% they're making a SMALL percentage of what the program they play for brings in.

Allow players to return to college even after they have been drafted. Just like baseball. If they don't like where they were drafted or what they are being offered, go back to college.
The difference is signing with an agent. Most of the baseball players are drafted before they sign with an agent either time, so there's no problem if they decide to go/return to school. There are supposed to be mechanisms for basketball so that players can be evaluated by "experts" to let them know if and where they would be drafted before they sign with an agent. The folks like Danny Kuenel (sp) who play minor league baseball and come back to school for football can do so because they didn't sign with an agent and negotiated their own contract. They're not allowed to play college baseball because they were professional baseball players even though not in the Major Leagues. The signing with an agent is the end of your college career, not simply being drafted.

I'm alright with everything really. A new crop of refs would be nice though. The old guard seems to be grandfathered in. Also, stop calling charges when the secondary defender does nothing but stand there. That isn't defense. I'd be alright with the line moving back a bit, but not NBA. Some other things that are bothersome, but it's not terrible. The best thing would be getting rid of the NCAA, or they start being consistent when it comes to rules violations. They pick and choose their battles as we all know.

St. Bonaventure is not a peer school. Peer schools who could pay players with their boosters all have multi-million dollar facilities. We are a private university and if boosters are allowed to pay players whatever they want for their autographs, SU is in trouble.

We're obviously not a peer school to UK, guess we'll have to suck it up and deal with it

Then the Kentucky/Oregon/Ohio state player will make 100k?

Then the Kentucky/Oregon/Ohio state player will make 100k?

I think you're missing the possible bigger picture that top recruits will go where the money goes. SU normally gets a few guys to from the top 100, and i think they'd go elsewhere.

I would much rather go to a system where the team gets a % of the revenue generated by their program

A fairer and more equitable NCAA to the players -- once which might encourage some players to stay. Right now there is just enough incentive and too much "using" to make most players want to stay.

I think you're missing the possible bigger picture that top recruits will go where the money goes. SU normally gets a few guys to from the top 100, and i think they'd go elsewhere.

I would much rather go to a system where the team gets a % of the revenue generated by their program

So? What does Syracuse being good or bad at basketball have to do with this?

So? What does Syracuse being good or bad at basketball have to do with this?

Here's the big picture to me if you allow boosters to pay whatever they want to athletes.

The best ranked players will go to public universities or universities with the biggest amount of booster dollars behind it. That means schools like Syracuse will struggle to keep competition teams on the floor, which means less butts in seats, which leads to an eventual shift in powers and schools possibly having to give up programs.

I know that may come off as extreme but again this is only my opinion on why you shouldn't go with the likeness/name model.

If anyone can find me a reason why basketball programs can't give their scholarship players 1% of the revenue generated by the program i'd be shocked (for those in favor of paying that is)

Here's the big picture to me if you allow boosters to pay whatever they want to athletes.

The best ranked players will go to public universities or universities with the biggest amount of booster dollars behind it. That means schools like Syracuse will struggle to keep competition teams on the floor, which means less butts in seats, which leads to an eventual shift in powers and schools possibly having to give up programs.

I know that may come off as extreme but again this is only my opinion on why you shouldn't go with the likeness/name model.

If anyone can find me a reason why basketball programs can't give their scholarship players 1% of the revenue generated by the program i'd be shocked (for those in favor of paying that is)

Right. Your opinion is Syracuse might be bad at basketball and you wouldn't want that.

The stuff about less people going to game because "school like Syracuse will struggle to keep up" is all straw man stuff.

I get it. I don't think it's a reasonable argument against it.

Right. Your opinion is Syracuse might be bad at basketball and you wouldn't want that.

The stuff about less people going to game because "school like Syracuse will struggle to keep up" is all straw man stuff.

I get it. I don't think it's a reasonable argument against it.

Oh absolutely. Obviously I admit my favorite team would struggle with that, and that would suck. I just believe that if it comes down to it and players are being paid I don't like the image&likeness argument because then I believe college basketball would just be so top heavy.

Prices you could easily stop that. Also I like Pbat's suggestion of putting a cap on how much a kid could make, they shouldn't be millionaires in college but giving them good compensation should be enough and better than nothing like now.
Why cap it? If the kid had a hit record, he could be a college millionaire?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom