What could be worse than this? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What could be worse than this?

Maybe the UConn players made a deal that if they won it all they didn't have to go back to Storrs.

Why are coaches coaching offense that doesn't fit their personnel? I can't stand watching college basketball half court offense it is terrible and makes the game hard to watch.

Many coaches teach what they know, no matter what their personnel might be. At the college level, this seems to be even more prevalent because the players are recruited. Therefore, the logic follows, coaches assume that they have brought in players for their systems. That isn't always true, though.

Many systems include adjustments for personnel. For example, Bo Ryan seems to have tweaked his Swing offense based on having better ball handlers this season. However, pick and roll, as an offensive foundation, is often designed to isolate the two-man game with three players waiting to see how that plays out. If not designed well, pick and roll can lead to a stagnate offense.

To see the pick and roll designed and executed perfectly, watch the Spurs play offense. It is often an option or a rule built into their motion-like set plays, and the other three players aren't stationary; they are involved in what Coach Pop calls a "gaggle." The gaggle is a form of double screen that allows for a variety of cuts by the three players. This occupies the help defense, allowing for the two-man game to have space. However, it also provides the ball handler passing options to teammates cutting off of weak-side screening action. As another example, the triangle offense includes similar weak-side screening action.

One of the problems with the current quality of play (or lack thereof) in the college game is that several coaches are running pro-styled offenses built around dribble drive, isos, and pick and roll. I'm speculating, but I have a feeling that part of the reason for this is that the elite players want to play in systems that prepare them for the NBA. Unfortunately, many players in college lack the fundamental skills required by these offenses.

As a result, the game is bogged down by stagnation, poor shooting, and turnovers. I agree; this makes it hard to watch at times.

h351CCA85

If it was football I'd agree. But in hoops, UConn is a bigger competitor to SU especially in recruiting NE kids. So UConn can't lose enough.

Any decent recruiter should be able to ask a potential recruit if he would rather go up against Duke, UNC, Louisville, Virginia, Pitt, ND etc, or would they rather play Cincinnati, SMU, Memphis, Houston, Temple and USF, UCF...

rstone7727 said:
Any decent recruiter should be able to ask a potential recruit if he would rather go up against Duke, UNC, Louisville, Virginia, Pitt, ND etc, or would they rather play Cincinnati, SMU, Memphis, Houston, Temple and USF, UCF...

Or play 6 games in the tournament or 2. Talent is going to show in the AAC or the ACC, if you're good enough you're not going to have a problem. Guys from the past couple of years are in the lottery from Davidson, UNLV, and freaking Lehigh. The AAC isn't awful.

Or play 6 games in the tournament or 2. Talent is going to show in the AAC or the ACC, if you're good enough you're not going to have a problem. Guys from the past couple of years are in the lottery from Davidson, UNLV, and freaking Lehigh. The AAC isn't awful.

It's all about prestige, exposure and playing against the best. You can't begin to compare the AAC to the ACC.

Many coaches teach what they know, no matter what their personnel might be. At the college level, this seems to be even more prevalent because the players are recruited. Therefore, the logic follows, coaches assume that they have brought in players for their systems. That isn't always true, though.

Many systems include adjustments for personnel. For example, Bo Ryan seems to have tweaked his Swing offense based on having better ball handlers this season. However, pick and roll, as an offensive foundation, is often designed to isolate the two-man game with three players waiting to see how that plays out. If not designed well, pick and roll can lead to a stagnate offense.

To see the pick and roll designed and executed perfectly, watch the Spurs play offense. It is often an option or a rule built into their motion-like set plays, and the other three players aren't stationary; they are involved in what Coach Pop calls a "gaggle." The gaggle is a form of double screen that allows for a variety of cuts by the three players. This occupies the help defense, allowing for the two-man game to have space. However, it also provides the ball handler passing options to teammates cutting off of weak-side screening action. As another example, the triangle offense includes similar weak-side screening action.

One of the problems with the current quality of play (or lack thereof) in the college game is that several coaches are running pro-styled offenses built around dribble drive, isos, and pick and roll. I'm speculating, but I have a feeling that part of the reason for this is that the elite players want to play in systems that prepare them for the NBA. Unfortunately, many players in college lack the fundamental skills required by these offenses.

As a result, the game is bogged down by stagnation, poor shooting, and turnovers. I agree; this makes it hard to watch at times.
Pick and roll is a thing of beauty when its run with Tony Parker and Tim Duncan...not so good with Ennis and Rak.

rstone7727 said:
It's all about prestige, exposure and playing against the best. You can't begin to compare the AAC to the ACC.

BC > Uconn?

The Gators choke job allows the Huskies to waltz into the title game. How disheartening. Really, really, really sucks.
What could be worse than this?

Hmmm... Terminal cancer?

Yeah ... do you want to play or do you want to get pulled out after one mistake?

Pick and roll is a thing of beauty when its run with Tony Parker and Tim Duncan...not so good with Ennis and Rak.

No doubt--the Xs and Os matter…but so do the Jimmys and the Joes...

I hate Calhoun and some UConn fans that I've seen post on the Internet. I have no problem with Ollie and this team.

Watching the games today just brings be back with the cockiness around here about our team and the beyond awful trash talking of Kentucky and Uconn. It's like karma came back too fast. Watching Kentucky in this tournament they look better than we did at ANY point of the season.

cto said:
What could be worse than this? Hmmm... Terminal cancer?

A car crash.

A plane crash.

A loss to Georgetown?

Joyce, get a grip...or a glass of white wine.

Yeah ... do you want to play or do you want to get pulled out after one mistake?

If I'm the real deal (all recruits fit this description) I don't make mistakes.

Nightmare scenario. Ugh.

I know we are not in it and of course I'm upset. But I just watched 2 great games. Great story with Ollie in his 2nd season taking the reigns from Calhoun. Even Kentucky pulling it together at the end of the season. It is exciting. And kind of cool to have 2 lower seeded teams in the finals. In other words ALL if us "elite" teams blew it this year. Not just us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom