What Cuse Can Do To Improve Tailgating | Syracusefan.com

What Cuse Can Do To Improve Tailgating

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
So I want to get some opinions

Is it okay currently as done?

What do you like and hate?

Separate the quad in blocks. Rent out the blocks for tailgating. You can also rent grills and canopies. Have weekly competitions for best so and so. For instance:

Game 1 best burger
Game 2 best steak
Game 3 best chili
Game 4 best chicken
Game 5 best ribs
Game 6 best etc

In addition they need a better university sponsored tailgate. I liked what Washington had the time we played them. Also more activities like they do in the backcourt area for BBall.

As long as we have a facility in a semi-urban setting with small decentralized parking options I think it's as good as it can get. Much easier to up the hype level when there is one big lot - involvement from local businesses, more visibility from band and cheerleaders stopping by, easier to coordinate large groups - but I'm just not creative enough to solve the issues incumbent with dozens of small lots scattered over a relatively large footprint. My group is composed of fans from all seating levels from the $99-ers to the Level A preferred so it's tough to centralize with parking passes non-existent or scattered around the city.

Its been said above, but better tailgating will come with more people coming into the Dome. Small lots don't necessarily diminish the quality - in fact, I use to like tailgating in a small medical office lot at the bottom of University (now torn down with student housing being built) because you knew everyone in the lot and made friends quick (plus a portapotty, key).

Like some others commenting here, I think the parking is fine and I don't think the "one large lot" approach is necessary for good tailgating. We have a great time at a great spot. I would like to see some SU presence in the lots even if it means shuttling some cheerleaders or the band around and leading the walk up to the dome for game time.

Its been said above, but better tailgating will come with more people coming into the Dome. Small lots don't necessarily diminish the quality - in fact, I use to like tailgating in a small medical office lot at the bottom of University (now torn down with student housing being built) because you knew everyone in the lot and made friends quick (plus a portapotty, key).
Move up a couple blocks to the SU lots. They have plenty of room and the portapotties.

So I want to get some opinions

Is it okay currently as done?

What do you like and hate?
The prices for parking passes are too high. Price them lower to help encourage tailgating. Allow parking pass holders to buy a limited extra passes on a game by game basis to allow out of town friends and visitors to participate in tailgates (and hopefully eventually become full-time tailgaters).

Have cheerleaders, Otto and band members stop by the university parking lots regularly to show people their presence is appreciated.

Provide a place to clean up post tailgate with fresh water.

Expand parking lots where possible. Leave small islands with trees and grass to make the lots more attractive. More garbage cans are needed; they are never enough. Have some set up for recycling, so the bums have an easier time collecting.

Allow food trucks to set up in selected areas near the Dome. There could be trucks all along the western side of Irving in front of the Dome, maybe some on the side of some of the streets where the West parking lots are. Allow live music near tailgating areas. It should be possible to easily get local dishes before and during games. How can it be that you can get Dinosaur BBQ at a Bills game but you can't at the Syracuse game?

Work with the city, the county and private business to get OnTrack working again. There is an acute need for mass transportation from places like DestinyUSA and Armory Square. If that isn't feasible, set up a bus loop from these places to the West parking lots. Get sponsors...restaurants, bars, supermarkets and other local businesses.

Invest to ensure the program wins consistently. Renovate the Dome. Greatly expand the budget for the coaching staff. Schedule intelligently.

I agree with Tom and many others. You can still have small-lot TG'ing, and also offer a central TG area fo facilitate larger-scale food and entertainment options.

As far as the lots go, Tom has it right: they should be more aesthetically attractive and have (better looking) waste cans in sufficient numbers for the lot size.

I would add:

1) Don't overbook lots. For $175 I should have a space in an assigned lot, so my tailgate is actually at my tailgate;
2) If you want to synergize downtown entertainment options and on-campus sports ... mass transit's a must. Bringing back OnTrack (the real Elmira Express) is a no-brainer; and
3) There seems to be growing demand for wi-fi at SU sporting events.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with tailgating for the most part. They've done a little bit to improve the West lots as far as condition and layout of the lots.

On the rare occasion that my wife and daughter tailgate with us, access to the restrooms in the law building would be nice. Neither of them are big fans of the portapotty.

I'd really like to see the AirOrangeGuest network be extended across the West lots. Being able to stream early games on a small TV without using my entire Verizon data allowance (or fighting 15000 other cell phones for data access) would be great. Of course this would only be useful if our Saturday kickoffs are 3:30 or later.

I'm pretty happy with tailgating for the most part. They've done a little bit to improve the West lots as far as condition and layout of the lots.

On the rare occasion that my wife and daughter tailgate with us, access to the restrooms in the law building would be nice. Neither of them are big fans of the portapotty.

I'd really like to see the AirOrangeGuest network be extended across the West lots. Being able to stream early games on a small TV without using my entire Verizon data allowance (or fighting 15000 other cell phones for data access) would be great. Of course this would only be useful if our Saturday kickoffs are 3:30 or later.
Good suggestions. Heated restrooms with running water would be awesome. High quality heavy duty wi-fi should be a given for any public event these days.

Tailgating is fine, Its a mistaken belief that were the only school that does not have Georgia/Florida tailgate scene. My trip-s to Wake,UVa, BC, Pitt,Rutgers ect have not produced better tailgating. The people I see on the university/Adams lots are there every week having a great time.

Import some Bills fans for tailgate demonstrations and entertainment. Incognito said the players like to watch tailgate videos on Monday mornings. I'm fine with it in the parking lot but when they take it into the stadium it gets a little scary.

They should take SkyTop and design the parking lot specifically for tailgaiting. It would have a lot of green areas that cars/trucks could back up to like an RV lot with power, water, etc. Make these the prime spots people get up there early for or pay to reserve (I get up there early and would pay to reserve).

Enough with the noon kickoffs, 1 a year is fine but good gravy it seems that is all we get.

The band should have a complete makeover with more musicians, tuba's and brass.

Outside of BC, I think the Cuse band is the 2nd worst in the ACC and that includes Duke.

Need new stadium music similar to the SEC bands play or Clemson where they spell out C-L-E-M-S-O-N to finish their fight song.

When did parking get so terribly expensive? When I first got my parking pass on University in 2001 I paid $33 for the season. Now I'm paying $200 in Fine. All for a place for my car to sit for a few hours. Crazy.

The band should have a complete makeover with more musicians, tuba's and brass.

Outside of BC, I think the Cuse band is the 2nd worst in the ACC and that includes Duke.

Need new stadium music similar to the SEC bands play or Clemson where they spell out C-L-E-M-S-O-N to finish their fight song.

Along those lines, we should NEVER EVER spell out SYRACUSE. It should just be CUSE.

How can it be that you can get Dinosaur BBQ at a Bills game but you can't at the Syracuse game?

...And we somehow have it Dinosaur BBQ at the Times Union Center here in Albany. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom