What do the casual fans think of Coach Fran? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What do the casual fans think of Coach Fran?

IMG_7567.jpeg
The casual writer at ESPN grades Fran’s hire as a C.

I have no problem with that and understand how an outsider would view it. There's risk involved. There are parts of the job he has never done. But sometimes you see something special in someone and let him skip the line. I think that's what JW did. It won't take long to see if it pays off.

Casual fans won’t really notice anything until they see the change on the field.

What will really be annoying is when the fair weather fans start coming out of the wood work just because we’re winning again.

Casual fans won’t really notice anything until they see the change on the field.

What will really be annoying is when the fair weather fans start coming out of the wood work just because we’re winning again.
There’s not enough die hards to fill the dome so we will need some of those bandwagon fans to fill seats.

On the Syracuse related posts on Facebook (SU Athletics, SU Football) I’ve seen a few comments from folks who want Syverud and Wildhack out. They don’t like having a head coach with no HC experience.
Those comment threads are so embarrassing they should just eliminate the ability to comment. It’s just a total embarrassment.

In my experience CNY’ers who post on Facebook literaly hate everything including newborn babies.

I dumped Facebook years ago because of the increasing negativity, don’t regret that at all. I encourage everyone to be very selective with what social media they engage with; most of it is bad for mental health.

My uneducated guess is casual fans who know the types of people that visit this site are at least asking for opinions from us - but if they aren’t friends with diehard fans they are barely paying attention. Which isn’t surprising, word of mouth matters a lot - the only reason my brother is generally positive about Brown is I’ve been positive in my comments to him - the more big fans are selling enthusiasm, the more interested casuals will get.

There’s not enough die hards to fill the dome so we will need some of those bandwagon fans to fill seats.
And that's the case everywhere.

There's a double edge sword here in the south. They back their teams like a religion, but the cultural popularity of the sport also leads so many people to call themselves fans that have no understanding of the sport. I've talked to people that will attend games from time to time and say they follow their team that can't have a basic discussion of football strategy. They can only spout whatever rhetoric they've heard.

And that's the case everywhere.

There's a double edge sword here in the south. They back their teams like a religion, but the cultural popularity of the sport also leads so many people to call themselves fans that have no understanding of the sport. I've talked to people that will attend games from time to time and say they follow their team that can't have a basic discussion of football strategy. They can only spout whatever rhetoric they've heard.

One thing I really miss is the America East basketball tournament being a weekend event - about a decade ago they switched to a format where the higher seed hosts games and spread it out over about ten days. What was great about it was the fans who went were legitimately knowledgeable - and generally about all the teams in the league, and since its a fairly low stakes league you don't have people who stake their whole identity on their team winning. Plus at the time I would go to that tournament and then deal with UConn morons at the Big East tourney the following weekend, so I really fully appreciated the AE fanbases and culture. They hit a sweet spot of high fan engagement with an appropriate level of investment in winning - I haven't found anything comparable since they switched formats.

I do wish Vermont fans weren't so nice so I could justify to myself why I hate them so much though.

No it won’t, we need their enthusiasm, fanny’s in seats and money.

There is strength in numbers and we need to create a virtuous cycle. There will always be weak hands and strong hands, but the more hands the better.

Agreed. I always got more annoyed with the fair weather students, but then i realized they were a necessary evil.

View attachment 234572The casual writer at ESPN grades Fran’s hire as a C.

Occasionally I've tracked how writers do at grading coaching hires. They are generally terrible at it. Honestly I'd be more worried if ESPN had graded the hire an A - when someone who is wrong all the time agrees with you, its best to go back and figure out why you are wrong.

Occasionally I've tracked how writers do at grading coaching hires. They are generally terrible at it. Honestly I'd be more worried if ESPN had graded the hire an A - when someone who is wrong all the time agrees with you, its best to go back and figure out why you are wrong.
There's no accountability for bad punditry.
If it's a HR they won't mention they called it wrong, and if he faceplants they'll say "told you so". Rinse and repeat.

I have no problem with that and understand how an outsider would view it. There's risk involved. There are parts of the job he has never done. But sometimes you see something special in someone and let him skip the line. I think that's what JW did. It won't take long to see if it pays off.

Really, from an 'outsider' objective viewpoint, how could anyone have a problem with it? I believe wholeheartedly that if Rutgers or UConn made this hire, many here would probably be throwing the typical shade, etc. their way.

As diehards, we all undoubtedly subjectively root for Syracuse to be successful, et al. And, no doubt, hope springs eternal.

I certainly agree with your sentiment that it won't take long to see if this hire pays off, and if HCFB truly is that "special" someone you allude to. Ultimately, wins and losses is what matters most, especially at the P4 level head coach position.

Really, from an 'outsider' objective viewpoint, how could anyone have a problem with it? I believe wholeheartedly that if Rutgers or UConn made this hire, many here would probably be throwing the typical shade, etc. their way.

As diehards, we all undoubtedly subjectively root for Syracuse to be successful, et al. And, no doubt, hope springs eternal.

I certainly agree with your sentiment that it won't take long to see if this hire pays off, and if HCFB truly is that "special" someone you allude to. Ultimately, wins and losses is what matters most, especially at the P4 level head coach position.
Yep, and as I said before he was being mentioned all that much, hiring a head coach is almost always a crapshoot, and they fail more often than they succeed. There's no reason not to swing for the fences as long as you do your homework.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom