What do the casual fans think of Coach Fran? | Syracusefan.com

What do the casual fans think of Coach Fran?

SmilinBob

Living Legend
Do any of you hear talk about him and the new direction SU is going?

I've talked to a few people I work with who are college football fans and they all have heard of him and think it's a good hire for a school like us.
Nice.

I'm also curious on how this will fill the Dome and get the casuals off the watch on TV and buying season tickets?

It'll be interesting to see how SU markets this.

I don't live local, but here in Knoxville a high school age kid saw me in a Syracuse shirt while dropping my kids off at a church event and said, "You guys are gonna be back soon." I don't know if he's a Georgia fan. If not, it says something that another team's fan even knows about a position coach.

I don't live local, but here in Knoxville a high school age kid saw me in a Syracuse shirt while dropping my kids off at a church event and said, "You guys are gonna be back soon." I don't know if he's a Georgia fan. If not, it says something that another team's fan even knows about a position coach.
His intro press conference got a lot of play on social media and instagram. His quote about growing up on welfare was widely shared. Not to mention everyone loves his sneakers, which weirdly embraces him to a lot of casual football fans. No idea if any of those live in CNY tho.

His intro press conference got a lot of play on social media and instagram. His quote about growing up on welfare was widely shared. Not to mention everyone loves his sneakers, which weirdly embraces him to a lot of casual football fans. No idea if any of those live in CNY tho.
This was last Wednesday.

There are no casual fans on this site. I have a group of friends who I consider casual fans. They don’t know who he is, but they understand the star system of recruiting. If he starts getting 4-5* players they will buy in.

They’ve already noticed a difference in getting staff members from “bigger schools”…

There are no casual fans on this site. I have a group of friends who I consider casual fans. They don’t know who he is, but they understand the star system of recruiting. If he starts getting 4-5* players they will buy in.

They’ve already noticed a difference in getting staff members from “bigger schools”…

Agree about this site and casual fans even though there may be a few.

You did answer the question I am wondering about and thinking the same thing.

The fan disgusted with the past X amount of years, what % comes back for 24 or waiting to see?

The ones you just mentioned and what will move them to buy Season Tickets. Should be interesting.

This exactly. Casual fans I know were at least slightly negative or didn’t seem to care. Largely because they didn’t really know who he is and his previous title didn’t excite people. But what fans do understand is stars, and texting people I know yesterday about visits this weekend, has been a little of an “ohh” moment so far.

On the Syracuse related posts on Facebook (SU Athletics, SU Football) I’ve seen a few comments from folks who want Syverud and Wildhack out. They don’t like having a head coach with no HC experience.

Pretty much the same for me.

When it was official I had a handful of people ask me what I thought about the hire. Since they have seen some of the recruiting/coaching buzz, some of those same people have asked me to get in touch when I renew my season tickets because they want to be apart of it.

The last week has also made me realize just how big of a Cuse/college sports nerd I am because my girlfriend told me multiple reached out to her to ask me what I thought of the hire. LOL

Most folks I know that are casual, seem to ask "who's this Fran Brown guy"? "Is he any good"? I doubt a new coaching change is gonna move the needle in terms of excitement until they see results on the field. I honestly can't blame them.

100%

I'll admit, I had never heard of him, and I consider myself a diehard. However, I guess since others are throwing out labels as "super casuals" and the like, I guess I'm just not a "super diehard." ;):)

Obviously I'm not a casual because I'm on here daily, but I didn't know much about Fran until I read it on here. I initially took pause when I heard we were hiring him because he had only been a position coach. I knew, because of people on here that are in the know, he had been a good recruiter but had doubt about how that would translate here. This week has changed my feeling about it all. The assistants he has drawn, the recruits that are suddenly interested, and everything about his press conference has me cautiously excited. To be clear, my excitement would be tempered regardless of who we hired. Coaching hires are often crapshoots, but I feel like this was the right shot to take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom