What do we do with Dino? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

What do we do with Dino?

What do you do with a drinking sailor?

I’m going to be careful not to make an over reaction due to emotions, but not calling a timeout while at the 1 yard line at the end of the game was an absolute disgrace. Our seniors and fans deserved better than that. Score the TD.

I did not see this question asked during the post game and I would like to know the reasoning.

Last edited:
This isn't about Dino anymore. This is about Su and their interest in competing in current football. Does the school want to play the games and cash the checks or be players in the game which will require writing checks. I think SU is happy being 5-7 to 7-5. Cash ACC checks, draw 30-35,000 a game and do enough to act like you care.
You hit the nail on the head!

I don’t really understand the sentiment about hiring White. And you’re not alone, I’ve seen many post about it.

He’s a very good DC, no doubt.

But most are upset about Dino’s “CEO” shortcomings. So the answer is to… hire a guy who’s never been a head coach before?
We tried that experiment before with a very good DC and it didn't work. It's much more likely that someone with head coaching experience would be hired and it would be another whole house cleaning starting over from scratch again.

I hear you. As EMBARASSING as that game was? The non time out drove me over the edge. It meant something to the guys on the field.

And that's where it ended.
People keep saying this about the TO but does anyone really know this? I’m asking genuinely. I saw CD-RW on the field for a while post game (during senior walk) and he seemed very happy / fine.

I think we take these losses worse than the kids sometimes. We got beat down. A nonsense td with a second to go doesn’t change anything. Everyone knows that. I wasn’t super upset about it at the time - I was more annoyed being only surrounded by FSU fans doing the chop instead.

I’m going to be careful not to make an over reaction due to emotions, but not calling a timeout while at the 1 yard line at the end of the game was an absolute disgrace. Our seniors and fans deserved better than that. Score the TD.

I did not see this question asked during the post game and I would like to know the reasoning.
You mean all the fans that left? it was a morgue at the end.

The Dome renovation is one year old.

The present coaching staff is one to two years old.

We are still light years behind other programs.

The number of season ending injuries this team has sustained this year is unprecedented.

We are playing with an undersized, walk on nose tackle.

Tonight’s team is not the team that beat Purdue.

We will go bowling this year.

We will continue to improve.

“Get a new head coach” thinking is oversimplified analysis
At what point is stability not the overriding factor for you? If Dino's contract expires in 2024 as rumors indicate, do you give him another one for stability?

At what point is stability not the overriding factor for you? If Dino's contract expires in 2024 as rumors indicate, do you give him another one for stability?
I would consider extending Dino for 4 more years but only if he agreed to a contract that was at least 40% based on performance.
Base 50%.
0 to 5 wins base only
6 wins. Base plus 20%
7 30%
8 plus full contract.

Acc championship game bonus
Win bonus
Make playoffs bonus

Plus the standards.
Graduation rate
Clean program

I would consider extending Dino for 4 more years but only if he agreed to a contract that was at least 40% based on performance.
Base 50%.
0 to 5 wins base only
6 wins. Base plus 20%
7 30%
8 plus full contract.

Acc championship game bonus
Win bonus
Make playoffs bonus

Plus the standards.
Graduation rate
Clean program
I hope you are not serious and this is parody. We've seen enough futility in 8 years minus one glorious season. You fire him next year with a year left on his contract and we start over AGAIN, such is life for Power 5 have nots.

I hope you are not serious and this is parody. We've seen enough futility in 8 years minus one glorious season. You fire him next year with a year left on his contract and we start over AGAIN, such is life for Power 5 have nots.
I am serious if the following happens

He finishes strong. Maybe only wins a game but the team plays hard and looks like the belong on the field unlike the FSU game

He has a good off season. Retains key players, finishes with a good class. Fills needs in portal

Next year he wins 7 or more games.

Who will hire Dino after he isnt retained by SU and in what role.
Does he end up at camp Bama as an analyst.
I dont see him getting an OC job. Does he become a position coach in the NFL?
My guess is that he ends up in the Mac as a head coach.
I think he goes to one of the 500 TV outlets where he will be very good. They just won't be able to put his career record up under his name.

See if he'd mutually want to part ways after this season. Could be good to avoid a buyout, but also let him save some face.

Even if we win out, he's shown time and time again to be not a good coach. Just look at his record.

Coach O you guys are funny.

Read the Athletic article on him. No no and no.

How about Georgia RB/RGC Dell McGee.

A guy who recruits with the best in the nation. Has strong ties with Georgia recruiting hot bed.
Took a bad high school team and turned them into a powerhouse as Head Coach. Spent some time with Georgia Southern and ended as interim coach before joining Georgia.
We will never compete consistently without a super strong recruiter.

Heck how about not calling a TO and instead running Schmidt out there to kick a rushed 53 yarder with 1 second on the clock. That was great, Good times for sure.

We can’t find a coach that can do better than that. Nobody has better clock management and is willing to coach at SU.
(Sarcasm font)

Fenway versus UConn. Mark it down.

Likely not enough bowl eligible teams this year. 6-6 gets us to palookaville.
lol, I said the same thing to my son as soon as he told me UCONN was eligible. "We're going to Fenway to play UCONN"

Ha. Since there's no way to prove this Lombardi theory, it's quite lazy in my opinion.

Let me ask you this. With all of these obstacles/hindrances you've repeatedly stated being the crux of SU's woes, etc., what do you think Jim Mora or someone with an actual track record of success would do here? UConn, with all of its obstacles and constant head winds, lack of resources, etc. is bowl eligible and it's due to the competence and prowess of its head coach.

Obviously, Lombardi isn't ever walking through that door, but there are coaches out there that can have success here, and sustained...warts and all. Especially, with a program that gets such huge benefits ($$$) of being in a P5 conference.

Coaching prowess and competence is what is foremost, IMO, along with the university's full commitment and investment in its infrastructure and resources.

He'd be a middling 500 type coach. Marrone was a middling 500 type coach.

We just finished playing at Clemson, ND, at Pitt and FSU, and people here are acting like it's the Dave Sims Big East era schedule.

People keep saying this about the TO but does anyone really know this? I’m asking genuinely. I saw CD-RW on the field for a while post game (during senior walk) and he seemed very happy / fine.

I think we take these losses worse than the kids sometimes. We got beat down. A nonsense td with a second to go doesn’t change anything. Everyone knows that. I wasn’t super upset about it at the time - I was more annoyed being only surrounded by FSU fans doing the chop instead.

In business I will structure contracts with iffy vendors or clients in position to make a decision if they want to continue the business relationship. That way the decision is theirs to make. I would do the same with Dino. but only if he had a good year. If so, make a fair offer but one that is based on performance. If he doesn't agree to the terms, it is his decision. Put him in a position to decide.

I've resigned myself to what we are. We're never going to recruit at the level people want and we're going to face injuries just about every year that we don't have enough depth to cover.

Keep Dino, fire Dino and bring in someone else, I think it's all going to be a viscious circle. Dino's teams this year and last year have been very competitive in September and October and then the wheels fall off the bus.

2012, 2018, we managed to stay healthy and look what happened. I think it's all luck at this point.

It's frustrating, but I'd give him more time with this new staff. What I think Wildhack needs to watch closely is the Dino/Anae relationship, make sure there's no there there.

I think the only path to get to where people really want to get to is a whole lot more money. And personally, I'd rather see people give their money to more worthwhile causes than college football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom