What do you think are the 3 things that most negatively affected SU football in the last 25 years | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What do you think are the 3 things that most negatively affected SU football in the last 25 years

I don’t think that’s right.

Jake left very quietly.

It was Shaw who said that. Others have already corrected me. Thanks.

Jake did not "step aside." He was fired in most ugly fashion by Nancy ... just not as publicly as P was fired on national tv. "Elimunelson" is correct in citing Jake's innumerable (and often unrecognized) contributions while the school's athletic department was held together with chewing gum and bailing wire.

In the university structure at the time, he did not even report to the chancellor. He reported to the chief financial/administrative officer who took every penny he could of athletic department revenues for other purposes within his empire. It was a condition of Gross's accepting SU's job offer that he report directly to Chancellor Cantor. He was immediately given his wish ... even though Jake's many requests for such a reporting relationship were denied because he did not have the leverage of someone she wanted to hire.

No one did more for SU athletics ... or was treated more badly ... than Jake Crouthamel.
No kidding

2 or 3 every game? That’s insane. total fiction

We should go back and review a few games from the 90s and see.

Speaking of the good ole days, is Paul Pasqualoni going to ever get any sense of recognition from the school? I feel like he was sentenced to Elba once he left. I would have assumed the school would have done something for him at halftime. I hope Wildhack can correct this wrong. He's only the second winningest coach in school history with the highest winning percentage.

Speaking of the good ole days, is Paul Pasqualoni going to ever get any sense of recognition from the school? I feel like he was sentenced to Elba once he left. I would have assumed the school would have done something for him at halftime. I hope Wildhack can correct this wrong. He's only the second winningest coach in school history with the highest winning percentage.
He left with such hard feelings towards the school (imagine being fired on national tv during halftime of a bowl game), I am not sure he would want to come back for a "recognition" event.

Last edited:
We should go back and review a few games from the 90s and see.

So your approach is to cherry pick some games and apply that to every game the guy ever coached to validate your assertion? Yeah, that's valid.

He left with such hard feelings towards the school (imagine being fired on national tv during halftime of a game), I am not sure he would want to come back for a "recognition" event.

That's understandable

He left with such hard feelings towards the school (imagine being fired on national tv during halftime of a game), I am not sure he would want to come back for a "recognition" event.

That was one of the worst handled and embarrassing situations I ever witnessed on live tv.
That and the hiring of his successor.

So your approach is to cherry pick some games and apply that to every game the guy ever coached to validate your assertion? Yeah, that's valid.

I tried to go look up whether total penalty information for a season was available anywhere online and was unsuccessful. What do you have to back up your opinion, other than your opinion?

That's understandable

Absolutely. I never thought it would be him that would hold animosity towards the school. I completely understand. I would hope w a new administration up there they would make an overture that things are different now. Adults are running the operation and there is a community of fans that would like to receive him back as a Syracuse legend. We tend to be hyperbolic on this message board about certain people and prop them up and knock them down disproportionately. Paul has received a disproportionate amount of BS from this board due to how it ended. But that's a guy who never embarrassed the school as a man and backed it up with ~15 years of consistent football unmatched since.

There are a lot of good replies here. Here are my three.

1) The lack of investment/vision from administration.
2) The hiring of gerg
3) see 1 and 2

As much as losing out on players like Vick and Rice hurt, getting them would have just delayed the inevitable. Vick would have kept us at the McNabb level for a bit longer and Rice keeps us mediocre for a while. The underbelly would have still been slowly crumbling with SU administration given a reason to rest on its laurels a bit longer.

Jake did not "step aside." He was fired in most ugly fashion by Nancy ... just not as publicly as P was fired on national tv. "Elimunelson" is correct in citing Jake's innumerable (and often unrecognized) contributions while the school's athletic department was held together with chewing gum and bailing wire.

In the university structure at the time, he did not even report to the chancellor. He reported to the chief financial/administrative officer who took every penny he could of athletic department revenues for other purposes within his empire. It was a condition of Gross's accepting SU's job offer that he report directly to Chancellor Cantor. He was immediately given his wish ... even though Jake's many requests for such a reporting relationship were denied because he did not have the leverage of someone she wanted to hire.

No one did more for SU athletics ... or was treated more badly ... than Jake Crouthamel.
you obviously r more informed than the regular fan. what did jake feel he would have done? what role did the board play throughout the years in allowing the demise? ? i am very biased and have always regretted refusing psu admission to the big east. perhaps it would have been a different story.
anyway, i appreciate your insight.

Absolutely. I never thought it would be him that would hold animosity towards the school. I completely understand. I would hope w a new administration up there they would make an overture that things are different now. Adults are running the operation and there is a community of fans that would like to receive him back as a Syracuse legend. We tend to be hyperbolic on this message board about certain people and prop them up and knock them down disproportionately. Paul has received a disproportionate amount of BS from this board due to how it ended. But that's a guy who never embarrassed the school as a man and backed it up with ~15 years of consistent football unmatched since.

Paul should definitely be honored. Might as well bring George D with him as well. For those of you that don't know George's son is an LB coach with the Bears and is regarded as a future DC in the NFL.

Just like their planning for JBs departure? Saying Jake stayed too long isn't saying Jake stunk, but if you think the tail end of his career the Department was showing the agility and vision that was needed in the modernizing sports world, we will agree to disagree.

Jake was ahead of the curve. He saw the need to go the ACC years before anybody else.

He had no money and still had SU in a bowl game ne his final season.

You guys are missing a huge one, IMHO: Penn State joining the Big Ten (and taking the lion's share of Northeast recruits with them)

PSU already had their pick of Northeast recruits before they joined the B1G.

PSU already had their pick of Northeast recruits before they joined the B1G.

Perhaps Maryland and Rutgers are having a bigger impact on Syracuse recruiting? Or do you think you still get enough good players from NJ and PA?

Perhaps Maryland and Rutgers are having a bigger impact on Syracuse recruiting? Or do you think you still get enough good players from NJ and PA?

Little known fact:

Long Island is closer to Maryland and PSU than Syracuse.

Maryland has always been a pain in the ass.

Rutgers only became a pain in the ass after Shady was hired for the first time.