What does MD to the B1G mean for lacrosse | Syracusefan.com

What does MD to the B1G mean for lacrosse

midloviking

2nd String
Will the ACC discourage it's members from scheduling Maryland. How about recruiting if they won't have games against ACC teams. I would be frightened if I was associated with Maryland lacrosse.

There are still plenty of schools to play. The B1G gets them PSU & NJSU. There are several BE programs that they could play, as well as their locals in Hopkins, Towson, UMBC, Navy, Georgetown, etc..

Would it hurt the program? Sure. Would it kill the program? I don't think so. The greatest impact will be on near-term recruiting. I would expect most top recruits to go elsewhere for the first couple of years. If the program seems viable in the B1G then their recruiting could pick back up.

The B1G members that play D-1 are Michigan (currently in the ECAC) and PSU (currently in the CAA). That would give the B1G 4 teams. They could do the current ACC thing, but without the quality. No one would care. Or any of the other leagues would be glad to have MD - ECAC or CAA probably, but America East is a possibility too, I suppose. Or, they could go the indy route. Might be tough to schedule though. I don't see the current ACC teams going out of their way to play MD if they leave. Either way, I don't think MD lax would ever be the same.

The B1G members that play D-1 are Michigan (currently in the ECAC) and PSU (currently in the CAA). That would give the B1G 4 teams. They could do the current ACC thing, but without the quality. No one would care. Or any of the other leagues would be glad to have MD - ECAC or CAA probably, but America East is a possibility too, I suppose. Or, they could go the indy route. Might be tough to schedule though. I don't see the current ACC teams going out of their way to play MD if they leave. Either way, I don't think MD lax would ever be the same.

You forgot Ohio State in the ECAC.

You forgot Ohio State in the ECAC.
Oops - good catch. So maybe MD lax lands there, with RU. If they can convince PSU to come along, they can take over the ECAC via eminent domain. Still - ugh.

The New B1G Lacrosse Conference: Maryland, Rutgers, OSU, Michigan and PSU. I wouldn't rule out Northwestern adding men's lacrosse (they already sponsor a women's team) if this expansion moves ahead.

I'm sure the Maryland lax school boys would love the prospect of not playing ACC/Southern lacrosse. MD would have to have a healthy OOC of gtown, navy, loyola, towson, delaware, hopkins etc. Good luck with all that.

frankly i won't miss their barn burning 4-3 stall ball style. they can take it to the midwest.

As Pete Calvin said: invite Johns Hopkins in as an associate member. Contact ESPN and get a TV contract going.

I am torn on how much this really will effect UMD going forward. Part of me thinks it will drop them back to a top 10-15 type program. Leaving behind conference games with UVA, duke and UNC seems like a bad idea for both the program and recruits. On the other hand they are not leaving behind their traditional rivals (Navy and Hopkins), the move will give players a possible chance to play in the Horseshoe or the Big House, and UMD still has one the richest lacrosse traditions. Not to mention they still have a great coach and the backing of UA, which is big for Maryland schoolboys.

I think UMd will do just fine.

Lots of rumors about UNC and UVa moving to the Big Ten. I have this suspicion that the Big Ten will stay north. New York would be a nice state to include in the Big Ten.

I think UMd will do just fine.

Lots of rumors about UNC and UVa moving to the Big Ten. I have this suspicion that the Big Ten will stay north. New York would be a nice state to include in the Big Ten.
They're going to invite Buffalo?????? ;)

5. What happened to the ACC's AQ?
Talk of a lacrosse “super-conference” was short-lived. The ACC will still be formidable and a gauntlet for the teams in it (Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse and Notre Dame), but there won't be enough for an AQ anymore. The SOS-boosting ACC Tournament will likely live on in its non-AQ status. ESPN reported that the Irish and Orange are likely to join the ACC for the 2014-2015 academic year.

That's a mistake, isn't it? Why wouldn't we be in there next year?

Relax. We're there next season.

ND may take a little longer.

Relax. We're there next season.

ND may take a little longer.
That's what I figgered.

And we've now qualified for the four-team SOS-boosting sham of a conference playoff next year.

So, since they play most of them anyway, and we've broken the seal on 'associate' members, just give JHU a call. ;)

That's what I figgered.

And we've now qualified for the four-team SOS-boosting sham of a conference playoff next year.
It'll be 5 teams. MD will still be there in '14. Notre Dame will take their spot in '15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom