What happened to college football in the Northeast? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What happened to college football in the Northeast?

Not so sure it is a bad thing that kids in the North play a bunch of sports. They get exposed to a lot more of the world; different teammates, different opponents, different venues, use different skill sets, get different kinds of coaching.

While they might not end up quite as polished and developed in any one sport, I think they end up better for all the additional exposure and experiences they get.

Maybe it costs a few a scholarship in football. But I bet a bunch find they are really good in another sport and end up with a scholarship for that sport.

This is good for the kids overall, IMHO.

I know a successful HS football coach and he encourages them to play other sports. He thinks it makes them better football players.

Not so sure it is a bad thing that kids in the North play a bunch of sports. They get exposed to a lot more of the world; different teammates, different opponents, different venues, use different skill sets, get different kinds of coaching.

While they might not end up quite as polished and developed in any one sport, I think they end up better for all the additional exposure and experiences they get.

Maybe it costs a few a scholarship in football. But I bet a bunch find they are really good in another sport and end up with a scholarship for that sport.

This is good for the kids overall, IMHO.
I was on the golf team. That's where the real athletes played.

Hell, my high school didn’t even field a team last year. Meanwhile, back in the start of SU’s rise out of the ashes in the 80s, two of their prominent starters, and future NFL players played for that high school. Times change.

Mario & Salvo's Pizza has to step up its' NIL game.

Having lived substantially in both the north and south, I can also point out that in the north, kids play several sports. In the south, kids pick a sport (or dad pucks a sport) and the kid sticks with it year round, year in and year out. Few are multi-sport athletes in the south, most coaches forbid it. Off season workouts and the seasons manage to take up about 10 months per year.
Long story long: a family was moving from Conn. to Houston. The realtor asked which sport the kids played. The parents asked why? Because that would influence the school choice. If they were going to play FB, the coach would identify them by 5th grade as Varsity material.
(The kids were tennis players, so that was how the realtor chose the district.)

They build football factories at the high school level all over the South. Zero chance northeast schools can even come close. It’s like European basketball vs the US. Sure there are some talented kids that come out of there, but they are raw and underdeveloped. Kids coming out of Southern HS football factories are the equivalent of the one and done basketball stars getting picked in the NBA lottery.
Don't southern states and communities also have multiple football seasons for the young and teenaged (spring, summer, etc.) that offer innumerable opportunities to develop and identify the best athletes? They do seem to give football a lot of attention.

<Whispers: soccer is better anyways>

Soccer is a good sport

94C4CFBF-04DC-4D66-94E6-AACC91EAC7C3.gif

One thing that can't be overlooked is the presence/popularity of pro sports in the northeast. There is a higher concentration of pro football teams in the northeast than anywhere else. I don't think the southeast had any pro teams until 1966 and then it was two for the whole region. By then the southeast and midwest were already established as college football regions. Combine that with the larger focus of private schools in the northeast that have smaller alumni bases and lack the state wide connection that the large state schools have, and you can understand why it's different.

Last edited:
Disagree. I'm not seeing many future d1 football players (my sons team played in the thruway league, pretty good competition)

I said soccer to a specific post saying fewer kids were playing pop Warner. As to D1 football or any college level football, I agree I don’t think soccer really impacts that. Btw, I know all about the thruway league. Pretty darn good youth soccer.

I said soccer to a specific post saying fewer kids were playing pop Warner. As to D1 football or any college level football, I agree I don’t think soccer really impacts that. Btw, I know all about the thruway league. Pretty darn good youth soccer.
It is. My son played thruway league the past two seasons.

Don't southern states and communities also have multiple football seasons for the young and teenaged (spring, summer, etc.) that offer innumerable opportunities to develop and identify the best athletes? They do seem to give football a lot of attention.
Most serious athletes in the south pick one sport and play it or train for it year round. I hosted an exchange student from Europe for a year that played tennis. They have fall and spring seasons and start in July. He had either matches or practice every day except Sunday, and was expected to show up to school at 6am 3 days a week for weight training. They actually leave school early on Friday for matches (by leave school early, like miss almost the whole day). This is for fricking tennis that nobody really cares about, just the kids that play. I can only imagine what it’s like for Football.

Back in the 50's I was an Air Force brat living on Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, LA. Organized scholastic football and basketball started in the 5th grade. We played football in full pads. That's part of it.

In the Northeast you don't have the big state programs save PSU. That's what happened.

Most serious athletes in the south pick one sport and play it or train for it year round. I hosted an exchange student from Europe for a year that played tennis. They have fall and spring seasons and start in July. He had either matches or practice every day except Sunday, and was expected to show up to school at 6am 3 days a week for weight training. They actually leave school early on Friday for matches (by leave school early, like miss almost the whole day). This is for fricking tennis that nobody really cares about, just the kids that play. I can only imagine what it’s like for Football.
My boys play soccer 10 months a year, 3 hours of practice a week, 2 games a weekend. In Binghamton. We’re footing the bill, except during the school season.

I’ve said often that it’s not the kids or the parents commitment. It’s money that keeps it from being an avenue open to all. Same for football - there’s a cost and no commitment to foot the bill.

:(:(:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom