What happened to college football in the Northeast? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What happened to college football in the Northeast?

Teams in every sport try to sit on leads and the more dominant you are the easier it is to maintain possession or build your lead.

I think a lot fans who think a 1-0 game is boring, haven’t watched enough soccer to see it clearly. (AND yeah some are - just like some CFB games can be 17-6 and be a horrible watch)
If Syracuse gets relegated to the second tier, it won't make a lot of economic sense to continue having football, with all the injury concerns that people here are worried about. Mothball the program and focus on soccer and lacrosse.

Here are 2 well known instances: 1, Using their media contacts and friends at Holy Cross to turn Gordie Lockbaum into a household name to take eastern media votes away from Don McPherson and get the Heisman for Tim Brown and Notre Dame. What a travesty that was and is, Donny led an old eastern power to an undefeated season and back to the national spotlight and they pulled that bullcrap out. 2, Ishaq Williams was all in on coming to Syracuse which would have given Marrone a big win in the city and would have started a subway of top talent coming to the Orange. But no in the dark of night at the 12 hour Notre Dame comes in with what appeared to be some shady dealing and procured Ishaq and soured Doug out on recruiting. This is probably too much red pill for you guys, but some will hear the ring of truth.
So, ND promoted one of its players for the Heisman 35 years ago.

Do you have any links to this "conspiracy" or is this just Syracuse Urban Legend?

Does ND have any friends at Holy Cross? They have zero relationship with each other.

Was Holy Cross somehow prohibited from promoting Lockbaum for the Heisman?

Was ND prohibited from promoting their guy for it?

I barely recall Gordie Lockbaum and only because I think he was in the Steelers training camp.

ND also recruited and flipped one player about what, 10 years ago ? The horror of it all.

ND has never had a player flipped on it in recruiting late in the process, ever

(Of course it has, almost every year in fact. That is just recruiting)

I guess that those two events alone would destroy any established P5 football program, for sure.

Truth? That is stretching a rubber band to the Moon.

Last edited:
So, ND promoted one of its players for the Heisman 35 years ago and...

...recruited one player about what, 10 years ago ? The horror of it all.

ND has never had a player flipped on it in recruiting late in the process, ever

(of course it has, almost every year in fact)

That would destroy any established P5 football program, for sure.

Truth? That is stretching a rubber band to the Moon.
You make it sound like Notre Dame boosters are pure and noble, your just the same as any big factory when it comes to booster dirty dealing. You know that Syracuse could become a big recruiting problem for ND in the northeast if they could get their program back on track, so it has to be stymied any way possible.

You make it sound like Notre Dame boosters are pure and noble, your just the same as any big factory when it comes to booster dirty dealing. You know that Syracuse could become a big recruiting problem for ND in the northeast if they could get their program back on track, so it has to be stymied any way possible.
Not at all. I am saying your two "facts" are pretty much bullshit.

Even if true, are you saying that Syracuse football is so fragile that those two things 25 years apart destroyed it?

Come on, man.

If that is all you have, you have nothing at all.

Not at all. I am saying your two "facts" are pretty much bullshit.

Even if true, are you saying that Syracuse football is so fragile that those two things 25 years apart destroyed it?

Come on, man.

If that is all you have, you have nothing at all.
Do you think the dirty dealing is done out in the open? Notre Dame football is the most privileged program in the country, every single break of any kind goes your way. Syracuse gets the opposite treatment.

Just stop. You’re being ridiculous. ND, nor any program, has anything to do with SU’s poor showing the past decade (except beating us on the field).

Just stop. You’re being ridiculous. ND, nor any program, has anything to do with SU’s poor showing the past decade (except beating us on the field).
Now bees, you have to understand, the college football world must band together to hold SU down. If not, we would run roughshod over all of college football. We would go undefeated for decades at a time. It would ruin, ruin I tell you, the spectacle that is college football due to the boring nature that would be our foregone national championships from one year to the next.

Now bees, you have to understand, the college football world must band together to hold SU down. If not, we would run roughshod over all of college football. We would go undefeated for decades at a time. It would ruin, ruin I tell you, the spectacle that is college football due to the boring nature that would be our foregone national championships from one year to the next.
College football operates with the same ethos as the rest of corporate America. This thread is about what has happened to northeast football, and as I said, there are 2 brands that move the needle in the northeast, Penn State and Syracuse.

College football operates with the same ethos as the rest of corporate America. This thread is about what has happened to northeast football, and as I said, there are 2 brands that move the needle in the northeast, Penn State and Syracuse.

No, what you said, and gave examples of, were two teams who are intentionally keeping SU down.

No, what you said, and gave examples of, were two teams who are intentionally keeping SU down.
Do you think Penn State boosters wouldn't do anything to keep their hold on northeast recruiting? Do you think Notre Dame is any different? If Syracuse can get back to playing winning football, they would take a lot of their better recruits.

Let's be honest here, we had 2 Chancelors who didn't care about the program except for the money coming in.
That's why the program got in such bad shape.
Then an AD in Gross who had no idea how to find a gualified coach.
Then not giving Doug the proper help to get the program turned around.

Do you think Penn State boosters wouldn't do anything to keep their hold on northeast recruiting? Do you think Notre Dame is any different? If Syracuse can get back to playing winning football, they would take a lot of their better recruits.

I think every school that is recruiting a kid we are recruiting is only doing it to keep SU down.

Let's be honest here, we had 2 Chancelors who didn't care about the program except for the money coming in.
That's why the program got in such bad shape.
Then an AD in Gross who had no idea how to find a gualified coach.
Then not giving Doug the proper help to get the program turned around.
All that is true, but when Doug said he didn't like recruiting, I think he was directly referring to the Ishaq Williams incident and the shady deal that Notre Dame pulled off at the last minute. And they get away with it because they are Notre Dame. No looking into their program, gawd forbid.

And that's why we can say hello to youth overuse injuries and burnout. It's a shame that kids sports can't just be for fun anymore.
The monetization of our children's youth has been fed on the hopes and dreams of parents feeding into the belief their kid is the next superstar scholarship winning athlete and virtually all sports (swimming, tennis, basketball, soccer, baseball, lax, etc., etc.) now operate on this model.

The monetization of our children's youth has been fed on the hopes and dreams of parents feeding into the belief their kid is the next superstar scholarship winning athlete and virtually all sports (swimming, tennis, basketball, soccer, baseball, lax, etc., etc.) now operate on this model.
I would also add the worship of sport itself is a factor. More people now than ever before attach their happiness and self esteem to sport and elevate it higher than anything else in their lives. This gets transferred to their kids for better and worse.

People jump on bandwagons pretty fast. Since 1910, Syracuse has had 3 separate lengthy eras where they were a top power. It can come around again if the commitment is there.
In those days, there was much more football talent produced in the northeast. That talent did not really start to dissipate toward nothing until after 1980, and the full process took 20 years.

Here is a UNC example of how much more talent NY used to produce. In 1970, UNC RB Don McCauley broke the nation's season rushing total held by OJ Simpson for 2 years. When McCauley was a senior in HS on Long Island, he was not close to the top ranked NY RB in his class, and might not have even been Top 10 among northeastern RBs. Schools like Syracuse and PSU wanted him as a safety, because they were signing higher ranked RB recruits.

Those are very long gone, and I see no sign there is any chance they might make a slight return. And the lack of those locally produced players hurt Syracuse a great deal. Even if you were ton have 3 consecutive 9 win seasons, all kinds of NY media would point out how many of your top players come from outside the northeast.

(Checks in on thread)

Sees it's a CousCuse back and forth with everyone.

(Checks out of thread)
Well Chip, it seems like most people here want to avoid the cold, hard truth of what's wrong with northeastern football.

If Syracuse gets relegated to the second tier, it won't make a lot of economic sense to continue having football, with all the injury concerns that people here are worried about. Mothball the program and focus on soccer and lacrosse.

If there's a second tier, it will be full of schools like Syracuse.

At my high school little kids dreamed of playing for our wildly successful high school soccer team. The vast majority of the best athletes played soccer and it wasn’t close.
Our school (Bville) had 3 goal keepers on Varsity who all wound up on a D-1 roster at some point. (My son was a sophomore that year.) Two other sophomores, who went D-III, were playing academy soccer. Of course, the coach played his friend's son (who never played college) as keeper, instead.

Last edited:
If there's a second tier, it will be full of schools like Syracuse.
Since Archbold Stadium was built, it was referred to as "Greatest Athletic Arena in America" and was the largest concrete stadium in the country, Syracuse has competed with the top programs in college football. That continued with the Carrier Dome thru the early 2000's. Now SU is going to fall in the ranks? Just make Syracuse a soccer school and be done with it.

Since Archbold Stadium was built, it was referred to as "Greatest Athletic Arena in America" and was the largest concrete stadium in the country, Syracuse has competed with the top programs in college football. That continued with the Carrier Dome thru the early 2000's. Now SU is going to fall in the ranks? Just make Syracuse a soccer school and be done with it.

Why? Why can't we have fun being like Cincinnati or South Florida or Boise State or North Dakota State if we can have their level of success? We wouldn't really be falling in the ranks. A new rank is being created. It's like we are all generals but now they want there to be marshals, who out-rank generals.

All that is true, but when Doug said he didn't like recruiting, I think he was directly referring to the Ishaq Williams incident and the shady deal that Notre Dame pulled off at the last minute. And they get away with it because they are Notre Dame. No looking into their program, gawd forbid.

Stop making things up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom