What happened to college football in the Northeast? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What happened to college football in the Northeast?

My boys play soccer 10 months a year, 3 hours of practice a week, 2 games a weekend. In Binghamton. We’re footing the bill, except during the school season.

I’ve said often that it’s not the kids or the parents commitment. It’s money that keeps it from being an avenue open to all. Same for football - there’s a cost and no commitment to foot the bill.
My kids do the same except its Lax and not soccer. My son played football last year and there is plenty of opportunity to play if a kid wants to. Pop warner in the fall, Jones rd league in the winter and then spring football league too so its available if you want to play football year round. I think the issue is kids seem to have to pick 1 sport and stick with it cuz if they don't do travel ball someone will come take their spot

My kids do the same except its Lax and not soccer. My son played football last year and there is plenty of opportunity to play if a kid wants to. Pop warner in the fall, Jones rd league in the winter and then spring football league too so its available if you want to play football year round. I think the issue is kids seem to have to pick 1 sport and stick with it cuz if they don't do travel ball someone will come take their spot
That is true - there’s a lot of pressure to keep up. My boys don’t want to play anything else, outside of a random school season here or there. But they prioritize soccer.

It’s probably cultural more than anything.

Last sentence is the problem in a nutshell. The threat of losing your spot and "potential scholarship opportunity" that parents lap up is killing youth sports. I have seen so many softball parents watch their child hit a buck sixty end the season with "we need to move her up for access to college scouts". I stare in disbelief

There are only 2 teams in the northeast that move the needle in college football not counting Notre Dame who is in the midwest but has a huge amount of fans in the northeast and that is Penn State and Syracuse. Pitt and BC just don't have that large of fan bases even when they are having great seasons and Rutgers has no regional appeal. That's why Penn State and Notre Dame will always do anything to stop Syracuse from getting back to winning football.

Don't forget those insurmountable 1-0 leads and the "park the bus" defense to ensure it holds up!
Like when football teams have the lead in the 4th and run the ball?

I used to have the same complaints until I watched enough to enjoy the game

For 3 years of HS, the FB coach tried to get my son to leave soccer to play FB. Wanted him as a TE/DE. (6'3" 210lbs as a Sr.)

At my high school little kids dreamed of playing for our wildly successful high school soccer team. The vast majority of the best athletes played soccer and it wasn’t close.

There are only 2 teams in the northeast that move the needle in college football not counting Notre Dame who is in the midwest but has a huge amount of fans in the northeast and that is Penn State and Syracuse. Pitt and BC just don't have that large of fan bases even when they are having great seasons and Rutgers has no regional appeal. That's why Penn State and Notre Dame will always do anything to stop Syracuse from getting back to winning football.
Just curious, but exactly what is Penn State and ND doing to prevent Syracuse from winning football games?

Just curious, but exactly what is Penn State and ND doing to prevent Syracuse from winning football games?
Poor innocent PSU and Notre Dame boosters, being accused of shenanigans.

The Pittsburgh TV market watches more CFB than any market in a northeastern state. Of course, that includes Penn St and Notre Dame and WVU as well as some other BT games. But if Pitt stays as a winner, Pitt football will draw a decent TV audience.

The problem for Syracuse is that no market in NY cares much at all for CFB. BC has the same issue. Boston and other New England markets care little more than zero for CFB.

And that sums the ACC dilemma. It's not just that the northeast no longer produces any amount of talent. Worse is that with the exception of PSU fans, northeasterners simply watch very little CFB and may care even less than they watch.

The problem for Syracuse is that no market in NY cares much at all for CFB
How are people in these markets supposed to care about CFB when the team they see as their representative, Syracuse, has been bad for so long? If they could get the right formula and get on a winning streak, viewer ship would boom. Everybody loves a winner.

How are people in these markets supposed to care about CFB when the team they see as their representative, Syracuse, has been bad for so long? If they could get the right formula and get on a winning streak, viewer ship would boom. Everybody loves a winner.
It's not that easy. Once people in an area lose interest in a sport to a significant degree, that interest likely never returns because it is placed elsewhere. People across NY and the northeast still watch a bunch of sports. But CFB is way down the list. I think the only way it could have any chance to be revived at all is if PSU, Pitt, WVU, Cuse, BC, and ND all were in the same conference.

Even that would take a couple of decades to pay off.

It's not that easy. Once people in an area lose interest in a sport to a significant degree, that interest likely never returns because it is placed elsewhere. People across NY and the northeast still watch a bunch of sports. But CFB is way down the list. I think the only way it could have any chance to be revived at all is if PSU, Pitt, WVU, Cuse, BC, and ND all were in the same conference.

Even that would take a couple of decades to pay off.
People jump on bandwagons pretty fast. Since 1910, Syracuse has had 3 separate lengthy eras where they were a top power. It can come around again if the commitment is there.

Nothing

Do they even think about us? Notre Dame will the week we play them. But that's about it.

Nothing
Recruiting player we want :)
Do they even think about us? Notre Dame will the week we play them. But that's about it.
Here are 2 well known instances: 1, Using their media contacts and friends at Holy Cross to turn Gordie Lockbaum into a household name to take eastern media votes away from Don McPherson and get the Heisman for Tim Brown and Notre Dame. What a travesty that was and is, Donny led an old eastern power to an undefeated season and back to the national spotlight and they pulled that bullcrap out. 2, Ishaq Williams was all in on coming to Syracuse which would have given Marrone a big win in the city and would have started a subway of top talent coming to the Orange. But no in the dark of night at the 12 hour Notre Dame comes in with what appeared to be some shady dealing and procured Ishaq and soured Doug out on recruiting. This is probably too much red pill for you guys, but some will hear the ring of truth.

Here are 2 well known instances: 1, Using their media contacts and friends at Holy Cross to turn Gordie Lockbaum into a household name to take eastern media votes away from Don McPherson and get the Heisman for Tim Brown and Notre Dame. What a travesty that was and is, Donny led an old eastern power to an undefeated season and back to the national spotlight and they pulled that bullcrap out. 2, Ishaq Williams was all in on coming to Syracuse which would have given Marrone a big win in the city and would have started a subway of top talent coming to the Orange. But no in the dark of night at the 12 hour Notre Dame comes in with what appeared to be some shady dealing and procured Ishaq and soured Doug out on recruiting. This is probably too much red pill for you guys, but some will hear the ring of truth.

LOL

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

Like when football teams have the lead in the 4th and run the ball?

I used to have the same complaints until I watched enough to enjoy the game
It's really not comparable, IMO. You still have the chance to stop them and get the ball back. A 3-and-out against a possession that started on their 20 stands a good chance of netting nice field position. If they've been running through you all day, it really doesn't matter which plays they call on offense, you're cooked.

It's really not comparable, IMO. You still have the chance to stop them and get the ball back. A 3-and-out against a possession that started on their 20 stands a good chance of netting nice field position. If they've been running through you all day, it really doesn't matter which plays they call on offense, you're cooked.
Teams in every sport try to sit on leads and the more dominant you are the easier it is to maintain possession or build your lead.

I think a lot fans who think a 1-0 game is boring, haven’t watched enough soccer to see it clearly. (AND yeah some are - just like some CFB games can be 17-6 and be a horrible watch)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom