What I expect at this point… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

Blah no national search but lets go Red I guess.

So that means we would be projected to lose off the current team: Jesse - Joe - Mintz - Benny - Bell so the only real returners who got any minutes would be Brown and Taylor ??

If it is Red he needs to be hired ASAP. He needs to find at least 4-5 quality ACC players from the portal.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Greenberg is always pretty friendly about Cuse with good things to say anytime he covers us... including in TBT. Assuming he holds that relationship with Autry. Love or hate him he knows his stuff x's and o's
Adrian was an assistant under him at Va Tech from 2008-2011

JB announces RETIREMENT before the portal opens. (This is the only thing I really feel solid about).

Red is quickly named successor. (Trending in this direction)

The rest is purely my speculation.

Red tries to retain as many players as possible and quickly hits the portal with a “not an exclusive zone team anymore” pitch. Targeting veteran physical players who will fill a role up front…and maybe adding a shooter depending on Joe

I think Bell and Benny are likely hitting the portal.

GMAC lands a gig elsewhere.

Allen is retained.

Red hires an outside the family coach to help with recruiting.

Red adds a bench coach. (Seth?!?!)
If Syracuse does have a plan to promote red, one I am sure was shared with GMac, wouldn’t he have left already (if he was planning to leave). I feel like the last two years haven’t won him much by way of national respect coaching-wise. I feel like he rides it out a couple years and then maybe leaves for a mid major program.

Seth Greenberg is 66yrs old and hasn’t coached a game in 11yrs. I wouldn’t get too caught up in him specifically. I do agree we would need a veteran presence on the bench but it’s not a requirement. Red has had plenty of experience in the coaching ranks to have a big network of guys he knows.

Yeah I should have said "still" as that's what I was referring to.
True - just because you worked together at one time doesn't mean you get along.

Hop has coaching experience :) I imagine he will not be coming back to Syracuse to once again be a bench coach.

True - just because you worked together at one time doesn't mean you get along.

For sure. Even with the Buddy comments, I've always gathered Seth was very complimentary of SU and always had a cuse reference or two during the games/events he covered.

All I heard in January is JB retires and names Red as his successor in a no frills/goodbye tour fashion.

It’s a secured handoff designed for retaining current players and giving Red whatever help possible hitting the portal/trail. Seems like its lining up. Wouldn’t mind roster attrition if we’ll be more active in the portal. Hope Girard, Jesse, Brown, Copeland and Taylor all return. Judah’s gone imo, speculatively.

Not doing a national search is a huge disappointment. Don’t get me wrong, I wish Autry the best and would love for him to succeed.

We have a chance to get a jump on Duke and UNC by making a splash hire now. If all three internal hires fail, I imagine Duke and UNC will move on before we do.

The silver lining is we get this out of our system. Mizzou alums pushed for Kim Anderson for over a decade and he was a colossal failure. At least we’ll know where things stand in three years or so.

I have no idea if Seth would could or should….but he needs a veteran bench coach.

Right. Seth is a name that makes sense as a possibility. Not sure who else is out there that would adequately fit the bill... who also might be ok with that role.

All I heard in January is JB retires and names Red as his successor in a no frills/goodbye tour fashion.

It’s a secured handoff designed for retaining current players and giving Red whatever help possible hitting the portal/trail. Seems like its lining up. Wouldn’t mind roster attrition if we’ll be more active in the portal. Hope Girard, Jesse, Brown, Copeland and Taylor all return. Judah’s gone imo, speculatively.

Appreciate the info. I would literally trade all the players you listed to have Judah retained.

Would be a bummer to lose Benny since he was Red's guy, and also would be a bummer to lose Bell since he's gotten so many starts and minutes already.

Really, I don't want to lose any of the current freshmen.

Yeah especially when now there would ne new energy and excitement playing a different style.

Yes this has been coming for awhile now

If it has to be an internal hire, then:

1) it has to be Red
2) MTM needs to the primary D (this is to optimize recruiting)
3) a big man needs to be hired to recruit and coach big men
4) maybe keep GMac and/or Griff, if they are good recruiters/coaches (I'm not sure), if not, go outside.

The above could possibly success, but I'd prefer they do a national search.
Agree 100%

Thanks for this info. Definitely a lot to happen in the next month. Some of it like nothing we've had in 50 years!

Hear me out: what if Red hires a friend of his who will be looking to land on his feet with another coaching job, at least temporarily? Hop as the top assistant until he gets another head coaching job would be incredible.

I will support Red. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I understand why it has to be done and I hope he kills it if it's him. But I'd really love a non-retread staff with different background and philosophies.

No one will care if he has no Syracuse alumni on the bench if we're in the 25 again within the next two years.

A huge asset Red brings is he was an assistant coach at Paul VI in the WCAC (Washington Catholic Athletic Conference). Hopefully, as a head coach he can re-establish that connection to both the school and the conference. That in itself would be a huge recruiting development. These teams are absolutely loaded, in fact there are three "bigs" at PVI now we should be looking at!

If this was a likely outcome why is he unable to use his recruiting advantage now at his former school. If this was going to be a benefit for us we’d have already been seeing rewards from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom