What I expect at this point… | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

I vote John Beilein.

Would love that but I also know for a fact that he is 100% done coaching. He's enjoying the semi-retired life and the consultant/advisor job that he has with the Pistons is perfect for the work/life balance he's looking for. He's loving being able to spend more time with his family and I doubt he's going to give that up at this stage of his life - at Syracuse or elsewhere.

Curious to know how or if this will affect Weitsman and his NIL money? If Jimmy is done after the Wake game, then will Weitsman still support the program? I hope so but it’s pretty clear that Adam and Jim have a tight relationship.

If this was a likely outcome why is he unable to use his recruiting advantage now at his former school. If this was going to be a benefit for us we’d have already been seeing rewards from it.
I think all its gotten us is Frank Howard

Curious to know how or if this will affect Weitsman and his NIL money? If Jimmy is done after the Wake game, then will Weitsman still support the program? I hope so but it’s pretty clear that Adam and Jim have a tight relationship.
were beating Wake

Not doing a national search is a huge disappointment. Don’t get me wrong, I wish Autry the best and would love for him to succeed.

We have a chance to get a jump on Duke and UNC by making a splash hire now. If all three internal hires fail, I imagine Duke and UNC will move on before we do.

The silver lining is we get this out of our system. Mizzou alums pushed for Kim Anderson for over a decade and he was a colossal failure. At least we’ll know where things stand in three years or so.
100%. Red can be the guy but it’s irresponsible to not do a national search. ACC is down right now. Lot of guys who aren’t super well known commodities on the sidelines. A guy like Sean Miller would interest me a lot

Beilein would be a grand slam hire as bench coach. What about his son if dad's not interested? Too much baggage?

Really, I don't want to lose any of the current freshmen.
Assuming Judah is gone, wouldn't you want to free up as many minutes as possible to lure big fish in the portal? I think way too much is made of experience given our current plight. We need a talent infusion and that's not going to happen if we put a cap on how many starting positions we can offer.

Red and GMac will not be able to hide behind that excuse any longer it seems. JB being here didn't stop previous lead recruiters from bringing in talent it has just been a challenge for the current staff I guess.

Just my 0.02, and I am NOT trying to excuse Red/GMac at all, but I think the JB that was here for previous assistants vs the one now are basically two different guys in terms of recruiting effort.

And like you said, Red needs to take this change and use the inertia to become his own man, have a clear vision and showcase just how committed he is to recruiting (which I think he will, to be clear).

Red and GMac will not be able to hide behind that excuse any longer it seems. JB being here didn't stop previous lead recruiters from bringing in talent it has just been a challenge for the current staff I guess.
Previous lead recruiters were competing in a different era and didn't have the deal w/ the uncertainty about JB. That said, you're right about Red and Griff (GMac's gone) no longer having excuses.

Things have changed in the last 7-10 years...a lot. Comparing Jim now and 10 years ago isn't even remotely close.

A huge asset Red brings is he was an assistant coach at Paul VI in the WCAC (Washington Catholic Athletic Conference). Hopefully, as a head coach he can re-establish that connection to both the school and the conference. That in itself would be a huge recruiting development. These teams are absolutely loaded, in fact there are three "bigs" at PVI now we should be looking at!

PVI is absolutely loaded - as is the WCAC as a whole. Red also was at Bishop Ireton, now being coached by former Hoya Dwayne Bryant.

So the working theory is that as soon as Hop left JB stopped trying to recruit.

Would be a bummer to lose Benny since he was Red's guy, and also would be a bummer to lose Bell since he's gotten so many starts and minutes already.

Really, I don't want to lose any of the current freshmen.
I'd hope Autry can retain most of these guys. He's been the good cop along with Allen. Players respect Autry from what I've heard and seen.

I'd be shocked if Benny leaves in this case. I also think that's probably why you saw Benny came back. Someone told him to stick it out and just make it to next fall. Same with Bell.

I think the other coaches have tried to recruit but have been hamstrung by JB not being involved and not wanting to take risks. And sometimes flat out vetoed by him too. JB was a little more involved with Hop but I think it's more he trusted Hop to run all the recruiting and everything. He was rarely vetoing a Hop guy from what I've always heard. But Jake or others would know more.

FIFY - we’re beating Wake and Miami; if Pitt beats Duke we could march to the finals. How incredible would that be!!!
Is there any world where the players already know? The effort Saturday was night and day from other games. I had pleasure of sitting in some nice seats and it was amazing to see how active we were on D compared to other games. Maybe it was just the opponent but length in the middle, between Judah and Jesse, was a pleasure to see at times.

I think the other coaches have tried to recruit but have been hamstrung by JB not being involved and not wanting to take risks. And sometimes flat out vetoed by him too. JB was a little more involved with Hop but I think it's more he trusted Hop to run all the recruiting and everything. He was rarely vetoing a Hop guy from what I've always heard. But Jake or others would know more.

So JB doesn't trust Red's recruiting eye but trusts him now to take over the program?

The recruiting misses also have no bearing on the lack of development from far too many players in recent history. The assistants can't hide behind JB for that, since they do so much of the day-to-day teaching.

Hmm... what might have changed since Hop left?

How about NIL and the Portal? and the fact that coach is now 5 years older which makes as huge a difference for people in their 70s as it does for infants and toddlers?

It's a completely different world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom