What if JB had played more guys... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What if JB had played more guys...

Do you have proof of that?

That's pretty weak of you.

You don't think Jerami's back injury or BMK's injury cost us games at the end of the season when Xmas was experiencing foul trouble?

Edit: The whole starting rotation looked gassed after the Duke and ND games, this showed in our less than respectful performances again BC, NC ST., Maryland, UVA and Tech.

short bench strategy did not serve us well. my proof. march.

So, it couldn't have been worse with a long bench strategy?

Don't bother to answer. Its obvious.

I'd much rather lose games and develop players than lose games due to increasingly fatigued rotation players.

One helps in March.

One does not.

You don't think Jerami's back injury or BMK's injury cost us games at the end of the season when Xmas was experiencing foul trouble?

Edit: The whole starting rotation looked gassed after the Duke and ND games, this showed in our less than respectful performances again BC, NC ST., Maryland, UVA and Tech.
jerami was fine in march. baye, maybe not as much. But it had nothing to do with us losing a close game in March. We won close games we would have lost if we played guys that aren't good enough to play. No one says JB is God. What we are questioning is your knowledge. Not his. You aren't at practice every day and if you were, I doubt you would know what you are watching.

We ran our starters into the ground and did not improve our offense for 5 months straight. Us falling behind at the end of the season had more to do with every other team around us getting better as the season progressed. We stayed the same.

Faulty diagnosis.

The team's shortcomings were masked by a lot of luck early on. The team wasn't anywhere as good as many thought. It was obviously flawed. In the last ten games of the season, the flaws became evident.

I'd much rather lose games and develop players than lose games due to increasingly fatigued rotation players.

One helps in March.

One does not.
Teams play low numbers and do well in march every year. Our '96 team barely played 7 guys. You were 2 so you didn't see many of those games. These kids play all year round. Fatigue had little to do with us not beating dayton.

One helps in March.

One does not.

Summer is when you develop players and maybe December.

In your post, you are proposing a "false choice".

jerami was fine in march. baye, maybe not as much. But it had nothing to do with us losing a close game in March. We won close games we would have lost if we played guys that aren't good enough to play. No one says JB is God. What we are questioning is your knowledge. Not his. You aren't at practice every day and if you were, I doubt you would know what you are watching.

Question my knowledge all you'd like, its a fan forum. Excuse me if I don't think JB, let alone posters on this forum are all above criticism.

Faulty diagnosis.

The team's shortcomings were masked by a lot of luck early on. The team wasn't anywhere as good as many thought. It was obviously flawed. In the last ten games of the season, the flaws became evident.
Slightly disagree. I just think things even out. We won a bunch of close games. Things went our way. Calls went our way. The last 10 games, they didn't.

Question my knowledge all you'd like, its a fan forum. Excuse me if I don't think JB, let alone posters on this forum are all above criticism.
Sorry. I do question your knowledge. I also question your breath of experience. You seem to think you have all the answers. Most of us do when we are 20. When you get older, you learn that you don't know half the questions. An example, you are eager to hand over the team to a guy that hasn't won one game over a guy that has won over 900. Not smart in my opinion. Now, as I have said, I really like Hop. We used to talk on the phone a lot. He is my choice for next coach. However, for anyone to look forward to the day Jb steps down, is foolish. He is not perfect but he is the right guy for our team. And I think he even knows more than you.

Teams play low numbers and do well in march every year. Our '96 team barely played 7 guys. You were 2 so you didn't see many of those games. These kids play all year round. Fatigue had little to do with us not beating dayton.

Though BMK's and CJ's senior seasons and contributions were admirable..

It's hard to compare a team led by those two to a team led by Lazarus Sims and Wallace.

'96 is a year that I wish I could have watched. Mainly because my favorite basketball player of all time is Paul Pierce, who SU would knock off in the.. elite 8 i think? Yeah I believe.

One helps in March.

One does not.

Three questions:

1. How fatigued were the player's?

2. How do you know?

3. Would you like to admit that you don't have a bloody clue as to how fatigued they were or were not?

Though BMK's and CJ's senior seasons and contributions were admirable..

It's hard to compare a team led by those two to a team led by Lazarus Sims and Wallace.

'96 is a year that I wish I could have watched. Mainly because my favorite basketball player of all time is Paul Pierce, who SU would knock off in the.. elite 8 i think? Yeah I believe.
How good someone is has nothing to do with how many minutes they can play. Sims and Wallace played a lot. More thasn CJ and Baye. And I have that game on tape. It was the elite eight. And just so that you know, the game to have watched was the game before against Ga. One of my favorite games of all time.

How good someone is has nothing to do with how many minutes they can play. Sims and Wallace played a lot. More thasn CJ and Baye. And I have that game on tape. It was the elite eight.

You're right. It's just my opinion that the tough span between the first Duke game and the Maryland game, where are rotational players played mostly 35-42 minutes a game, greatly tired/fatigued our players for the remaining conference schedule and the ACC tournament.

I don't think fatigue/etc. effected our game against Dayton, I think it effected our seeding due to blown games against Tech, NC St. and UVa.

Then again no teams perfect and you can't be 100% every game, it's part of being in a demanding conference.

Alright fine. :bang:

How good someone is has nothing to do with how many minutes they can play. Sims and Wallace played a lot. More thasn CJ and Baye. And I have that game on tape. It was the elite eight. And just so that you know, the game to have watched was the game before against Ga. One of my favorite games of all time.
Wilt chamberlain once averaged 48.5 mpg. In a season. In the nba.

Lets just say that Patterson and Rob played more minutes. Lets say that Gib had been provided more minutes at the point. Would we have lost more early games but ended up going further? Would Grant and Ennis be going pro. My guess is yes and possibly no.
Yes Squared !!

pfister1 said:
No one thinks that the more players that play the better the team will be. But most people think that the more players that you have that are ready to contribute something at the end of the year, the better the chance that you'll be able to overcome fatigue, injuries, foul trouble and off nights from key players. We weren't in a position to do any of that this year and it showed in how our season finished up.

So you answered the real debate we did not have Any players that were ready to contribute

Not warm at all. Yours is nothing more than an opinion. Grant and Baye's injury had zero to do with how much they played. Weak to think that.

It cracks me up that some people think the more players that play the better your team will be. All I know for certain is if you play for the future instead of now. Now will never happen
Not true. I played college ball and can tell you that playing your bench when it has potential which Syracuses bench always does is a good thing. Playing your bench and winning are not mutually exclusive in fact they are in my opinion the key to a solid team. Unity soars when guys get to play. Starters are put on notice that their jobs are not secure and play harder. The coaches have great purchase as they have the ability to make change. Injuries are still feared but not as much. Plus i have never met a player in any sport who doesnt require game action. Practice is great but a game is completely different. I love JB but i dont agree with his use of subs.

Slightly disagree. I just think things even out. We won a bunch of close games. Things went our way. Calls went our way. The last 10 games, they didn't.

A lot more than "calls" went wrong in the last 10 games. The refs had little to do with terrible shooting.

as a former scrub i can also attest that practice is totally different when you know you're gonna actually see floor time.

Not true. I played college ball and can tell you that playing your bench when it has potential which Syracuses bench always does is a good thing. Playing your bench and winning are not mutually exclusive in fact they are in my opinion the key to a solid team. Unity soars when guys get to play. Starters are put on notice that their jobs are not secure and play harder. The coaches have great purchase as they have the ability to make change. Injuries are still feared but not as much. Plus i have never met a player in any sport who doesnt require game action. Practice is great but a game is completely different. I love JB but i dont agree with his use of subs.

So, do you actually think that all of this has somehow escaped JB's notice?

If you called him tonight and shared all of this with him, would he smack his forehead and say, "Why didn't I think of that?"?

Or has he decided that is best chance to win in Jan, Feb and March is to play only those players he has confidence in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom