What I'm hearing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we go internal the patience is going to be really thin.

If we outaife the patience will be more as the new perspective has to be given a chance to change things.

If its internal I expect little change and if it continues the same what is the point of replacing JB.

We need hope and change not more of the same.

There are three lanes:

1 - Some slam dunk / home run / Air Gait type. (Fill in Oats, Few, etc). Personally I have a hard time believing it in this day and age and $$$ and buyouts and need to come here. But dare to dream. This happens everyone is happy.
2 - A guy who knows where to get pizza verses where to gets wings at Varsity.
3 - Someone who's watched us on TV and maybe talked to JB at a golf outing, maybe addressed him as an elder.

I just have a hard hard time seeing #3.

Not shooting the messenger.

But your connection is harping on a term that was never mentioned by Boeheim. "Succession plan" was never said by JB, nor was "successor." That was something that newspaper articles stated, despite JB's comments not having anything to do with who his replacement will be. In that sense, the articles and the way they were framed up in bylines was slightly misleading.

So while I think your contact is making a logical conclusion, I'd say he's reading into things quite a bit. "Ironclad plan" [JB's words] is different from "succession plan."

If Red was going to be the successor, that would have been named long ago. That he hasn't been named, or that the AD hasn't come forward with an announcement related to a successor being lined up, speaks volumes on that front.
No one is going to be named Coach in waiting or JBs successor until Hop is ruled out.

And doing that now after how it ended with Hop is too much of a PR challenge. JW doesn’t want his hands tied. Red will likely be the guy if it isn’t Hop.

I’d place the odds 75/20/5. Red/Hop/the field.

No one is going to be named Coach in waiting or JBs successor until Hop is ruled out.

And doing that now after how it ended with Hop is too much of a PR challenge. JW doesn’t want his hands tied. Red will likely be the guy if it isn’t Hop.

Your handicapping could be right on the money. I certainly don't know. But is anybody else underwhelmed at the notion of Red or Hop (or any other assistant for that matter) being named the next HC? There has got to be a proven commodity out there that is a better option and that could be lured to the Hill.

If we go internal the patience is going to be really thin.

If we outaife the patience will be more as the new perspective has to be given a chance to change things.

If its internal I expect little change and if it continues the same what is the point of replacing JB.

We need hope and change not more of the same.
If we go internal stick a fork in SU basketball for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the info.

My only comments are:

Even with Cole and Benny back, I still would want a portal forward. I don't trust the freshman that are coming in.

I really hope JB's exit ends up being smooth. We're already 0 for 1 with it.
Agreed. You always want to upgrade talent. The question would be why would you not look at the portal? We don't have Mintz yet. So others should not be writing him into the lineup as a given yet. Also its 50/50 he gives us meaningful minutes. I would think we have to go portal and find a Forward who is a scorer.

Your handicapping could be right on the money. I certainly don't know. But is anybody else underwhelmed at the notion of Red or Hop (or any other assistant for that matter) being named the next HC? There has got to be a proven commodity out there that is a better option and that could be lured to the Hill.

Completely underwhelmed.

I don't have much faith in Red tbh :-( Hoping for the best if that is the choice could be good could set the program back even more.

Red has the connections and the rep to recruit at a high level. With the CEO out of the way, he can get who wants not just who fits the zone.
Great.

We need more ace recruiters.

How does Red feel about Boeheim wanting G Mac to take over and not him? To me this is kind of disrespectful of boeheim. Red is far more qualified then G Mac Imo.

This will come as no surprise, but I completely disagree.

Hop coached himself out of contention. Red is underqualified compared to the field.

JW is going to aim higher; he has no incentive not to -- and the freedom to do so if JB only has input into the decision [versus naming his successor, as many have believed would happen until his recent remarks].

I want to be clear -- I love Hop, love Red. I have an old #15 jersey in my closet that I bought because of Red [not Carmelo]. But those guys don't have the chops to turn this Titanic around. What do I mean by that? Hop talked big about not being tied to zone, playing a lot more M2M once he left the nest -- but guess what UW plays? Nearly 100% zone.

Being dissatisfied with the results, but hiring guys who will emulate the current approach is the definition of insanity. I'm with SUTomcat and Scooch on this -- JW will swing for the fences and is prepared to pay $$$ to land a top candidate.

Red is highly respected by AAU coaches. I just don't know that there is that it factor when he walks in to a gym. honestly, and G and Griff are true Orangemen and deserve our love, but I would hope they would both find greener pastures and have Red go out and get two rainmaker recruiters. As for making Gerry the next coach, how can they sell that when Red is higher than he is on the pecking order right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom