What I'm hearing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thread, appreciate the info! But man, I miss the days of not debating if so and so will be a featured player, because our team is full of them... I just look at a team like Arizona, they have a new coach and had 8 ppl transfer out, and yet they are oozing with athleticism and skill, and have only 3 losses. I mean why do we have to always be behind the 8 ball? I miss the days of quality depth and not white knuckling a season.

This is what I heard last night from my connection (long chat about the AAU scene, college bball in general and we went into cuse full circle). This info is as of 3.4.2022 and things can change (please don't go after my throat if one or two of these things change).

Roster next year-
Apparently, we are in the driver's seat with Mintz right now. It's going to be between us and Wake Forest for him with NC state and Depaul having guard commits here recently. Jimmy has told him about a starting role and he would be along side JG3 for the starting backcourt. If he comes, we would run 3 guards with Copeland redshirting/sitting all year. The coaches will have to get his buy-in with this because his first year was labeled as spot minutes/back up mins and he won't get that with a Mintz commit.
Cole is 50/50 to stay (Jimmy even mentioned it). JB will ask him to stay one more year and put together some solid tape to possibly get drafted ala Hughes. He will be the featured player on the roster and gives JB someone he trusts. With this AND if Benny stays, we won't tap into the transfer market for a forward. Benny leaves, we will.
Frank is 50/50 as well. According to my connection, the game is still moving a lil too fast for him but he knows he could start at various places. He knows he would get 20 minutes again next year with Jesse back so he's weighing his options to go or not. Might do the JBA way and put his name in to get feedback/interest from other schools and decide to come back. If he goes, we will get a center/forward transfer because Peter is not ready yet.
JBA, Buddy, Jimmy Jr gone obviously.

Coaches Retirement/His interview the other day-
Apparently, coach was feeling the heat/pressure to speak up about the so called "plan" from booster/fans/JW. My connection kept harping on the term "succession plan" always means "in house" . He said watch the smaller school openings and if one of the assistants bolt for it, Hop is most likely to get let go at UW and he could slide back home for a year than take over. He said that's all a big if but could happen. Likelihood it's Red for the takeover and he will be the lead recruiter for the 2023 cycle. Still hasn't ruled out JB calling it in the summer time, exact quote " I get he promised these income recruits he was going to coach them but with both sons leaving, why?". JW is hearing all the chatter and criticism and knows something needs to happen soon. JB has and will have input in the hire but not full.

Might be new news or not but just wanted to share.
thank u for sharing this

Rule of thumb: Whatever happens, don't be surprised.

1646416697093.png

Not shooting the messenger.

But your connection is harping on a term that was never mentioned by Boeheim. "Succession plan" was never said by JB, nor was "successor." That was something that newspaper articles stated, despite JB's comments not having anything to do with who his replacement will be. In that sense, the articles and the way they were framed up in bylines was slightly misleading.

So while I think your contact is making a logical conclusion, I'd say he's reading into things quite a bit. "Ironclad plan" [JB's words] is different from "succession plan."

If Red was going to be the successor, that would have been named long ago. That he hasn't been named, or that the AD hasn't come forward with an announcement related to a successor being lined up, speaks volumes on that front.
When Hop was named the Coach in waiting nothing good ended up coming from that. Doubt they would go down that road again.

I think Red would make a solid choice as long as he is not committed to 100% Zone.

Thanks for the update. Not saying it would be a precedent but can anyone list a few programs that hired in house assistants as the head coach and turned the program into a powerhouse?
If Cole Swider is the featured player next year, really based on one game (Carolina) I cannot see it. He cannot beat his man off the dribble. He will draw the ACC top athletic defenders. He can barely go left - is right handed exclusively. Defense is fair at best, on and on. Basically a catch and shoot dude. Has a big heart but has limitations.
Izzo at Michigan State. Gard has kept things very good at Wisconsin after Bo Ryan retired. I’d also argue Matt Painter at Purdue was essentially an in-house hire. He’d been a former player under Keady and longtime mid-major assistant, did a one year stint as head coach at Southern Illinois, then became the lead assistant/HCIW for one year during Keady’s farewell season. He got things turned around at Purdue nicely after Keady’s mediocre final years. Also, it’s not an in-house hire, but Tommy Lloyd was a longtime Gonzaga assistant and is having a phenomenal first year at Arizona. I think Syracuse is around the same level as most of these programs.

Last edited:
I don't see how an "ironclad" plan could be anything but succession. You can't be very ironclad with someone who is employed elsewhere unless its Hop.
I think the "ironcladness" is just JB saying things.

Didn't he stated in another interview with someone else that this plan has been in place for many years since he was like 50?

So whatever "plan" JB referred to was a plan about his retirement timing. Once he retires whoever is hired to replace him is an independent plan.

Even if it involves Hop I don't think anyone, including Hop would agree to come "in principle" without looking at a contract in details, and for him to do that behind UW's back, regardless whether he has a warm or hot seat, is so out of character for him I seriously doubt this is the case.

I do not believe there is an ironclad plan for whoever replacement plan will be.

Izzo at Michigan State. Gard has kept things very good at Wisconsin after Bo Ryan retired. I’d also argue Matt Painter at Purdue was essentially an in-house hire. He’d been a former player under Keady and longtime mid-major assistant, did a one year stint as head coach at Southern Illinois, then became the lead assistant/HCIW for one year during Keady’s farewell season. He got things turned around at Purdue nicely after Keady’s mediocre final years. Also, it’s not an in-house hire, but Tommy Lloyd was a longtime Gonzaga assistant and is having a phenomenal first year at Arizona.

Remember when the Millers were the hot young coaches? Would we want them now?

Mintz & Symir at 1

JG3 & Taylor at 2

Copland can back up both 1 and 2

Taylor may be able to play some 3?

Keep JG3 under 25 minutes.

This is what I heard last night from my connection (long chat about the AAU scene, college bball in general and we went into cuse full circle). This info is as of 3.4.2022 and things can change (please don't go after my throat if one or two of these things change).

Roster next year-
Apparently, we are in the driver's seat with Mintz right now. It's going to be between us and Wake Forest for him with NC state and Depaul having guard commits here recently. Jimmy has told him about a starting role and he would be along side JG3 for the starting backcourt. If he comes, we would run 3 guards with Copeland redshirting/sitting all year. The coaches will have to get his buy-in with this because his first year was labeled as spot minutes/back up mins and he won't get that with a Mintz commit.
Cole is 50/50 to stay (Jimmy even mentioned it). JB will ask him to stay one more year and put together some solid tape to possibly get drafted ala Hughes. He will be the featured player on the roster and gives JB someone he trusts. With this AND if Benny stays, we won't tap into the transfer market for a forward. Benny leaves, we will.
Frank is 50/50 as well. According to my connection, the game is still moving a lil too fast for him but he knows he could start at various places. He knows he would get 20 minutes again next year with Jesse back so he's weighing his options to go or not. Might do the JBA way and put his name in to get feedback/interest from other schools and decide to come back. If he goes, we will get a center/forward transfer because Peter is not ready yet.

Apparently, coach was feeling the heat/pressure to speak up about the so called "plan" from booster/fans/JW. My connection kept harping on the term "succession plan" always means "in house" . He said watch the smaller school openings and if one of the assistants bolt for it, Hop is most likely to get let go at UW and he could slide back home for a year than take over. He said that's all a big if but could happen. Likelihood it's Red for the takeover and he will be the lead recruiter for the 2023 cycle. Still hasn't ruled out JB calling it in the summer time, exact quote " I get he promised these income recruits he was going to coach them but with both sons leaving, why?". JW is hearing all the chatter and criticism and knows something needs to happen soon. JB has and will have input in the hire but not full.

Thanks for the info.

My only comments are:

Even with Cole and Benny back, I still would want a portal forward. I don't trust the freshman that are coming in.

I really hope JB's exit ends up being smooth. We're already 0 for 1 with it.

Roster next year-

This is exactly how I expect the transition to occur. It will be an in-house or familiar face replacement. We are not going to see a full-blown search this time around. People expecting that are going to be extremely disappointed. JB wanted GMAC as his successor and he was told no. So red as the in-house successor makes sense unless Hop can be shaken free from Washington. Even if he’s let go from Washington I’m not sure hop comes here. He’s likely going to go to the NBA.

Last edited:
Mintz & Symir at 1

JG3 & Taylor at 2

The OP indicated the Cope is gonna 'shirt. I expect JG3 the point, Mintz 2, Symir backup and Taylor early season minutes but then glued to the bench.

The OP indicated the Cope is gonna 'shirt. I expect JG3 the point, Mintz 2, Symir backup and Taylor early season minutes but then glued to the bench.
Joe may bring the ball up when there is no pressure on occasion, but Mintz would be our lead guard.

This is exactly how I expect the transition to occur. It will be an in-house or familiar face replacement. We are not going to see a full-blown search this time around. People expecting that are going to be extremely disappointed. JB wanted GMAC as his successor and he was told no. So red as the in-house successor makes sense unless hop can’t be shaken free from Washington. Even if he’s let go from Washington I’m not sure hop comes here. He’s likely going to go to the NBA.

I hadn't heard that.

Mintz & Symir at 1

JG3 & Taylor at 2

I like depth. By that I don't sending players in in waves like Florida State or extending the rotation beyond 7-8. I mean that we can sustain a wave of injuries like the one we have now and not have to play walk-ons.

I don't see how an "ironclad" plan could be anything but succession. You can't be very ironclad with someone who is employed elsewhere unless its Hop.
To take the other side:

"Ironclad plan" might mean--1.) date specific for retirement; 2.) launching of a nationwide search at that point.

In other words, it's possible to have a plan without knowing, at this point, who the new HC might be.

I remember 40 years back, when Dick MacPherson was hired, Jake Crouthamel remarked that every AD carried a list of potential head coaching hires in his pocket. What is true about football programs generally might well be true for SU's basketball program specifically.

To take the other side:

"Ironclad plan" might mean--1.) date specific for retirement; 2.) launching of a nationwide search at that point.

In other words, it's possible to have a plan without knowing, at this point, who the new HC might be.

I remember 40 years back, when Dick MacPherson was hired, Jake Crouthamel remarked that every AD carried a list of potential head coaching hires in his pocket. What is true about football programs generally might well be true for SU's basketball program specifically.

Our new uniforms.

1646419129936.png

Izzo at Michigan State. Gard has kept things very good at Wisconsin after Bo Ryan retired. I’d also argue Matt Painter at Purdue was essentially an in-house hire. He’d been a former player under Keady and longtime mid-major assistant, did a one year stint as head coach at Southern Illinois, then became the lead assistant/HCIW for one year during Keady’s farewell season. He got things turned around at Purdue nicely after Keady’s mediocre final years. Also, it’s not an in-house hire, but Tommy Lloyd was a longtime Gonzaga assistant and is having a phenomenal first year at Arizona.
MORE:
Mark Few was an in-house replacement (Gonzaga)
Jamie Dixon (Pitt)
Chris Mack (Xavier)
Jay Wright (Nova)
Jeff Jones (Virginia)
Steve Fisher (Michigan)
Chris Holtman (Butler)
Steve Lavin (UCLA)
Brian Dutcher (SDSU)
Mark Adams (Texas Tech)
Jim Boeheim (Syracuse)

MORE:
Mark Few was an in-house replacement (Gonzaga)
Jamie Dixon (Pitt)
Chris Mack (Xavier)
Jay Wright (Nova)
Jeff Jones (Virginia)
Steve Fisher (Michigan)
Chris Holtman (Butler)
Steve Lavin (UCLA)
Brian Dutcher (SDSU)
Mark Adams (Texas Tech)
Jim Boeheim (Syracuse)
Jay Wright was HC at Hofstra before he took the Villanova job.

Good thread, appreciate the info! But man, I miss the days of not debating if so and so will be a featured player, because our team is full of them... I just look at a team like Arizona, they have a new coach and had 8 ppl transfer out, and yet they are oozing with athleticism and skill, and have only 3 losses. I mean why do we have to always be behind the 8 ball? I miss the days of quality depth and not white knuckling a season.

JB is why we don’t have quality depth or an ACC starting lineup. He is 100% to blame for the glaring holes in our roster every year for almost the last decade.

If we go internal the patience is going to be really thin.

If we outaife the patience will be more as the new perspective has to be given a chance to change things.

If its internal I expect little change and if it continues the same what is the point of replacing JB.

We need hope and change not more of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom