What I'm hearing | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red? Have you listened to him in an interview? He says “ya’ know” in basically every sentence………I can’t see him being the face of Syracuse University. Being somewhat articulate is a must!
I can’t say I don’t agree, but….
Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

I would think that Red would clear out as soon as he could. Whether that was right away or if it takes some time. And it wouldn't be anything mad at Hop but he would have been passed over. Tough to stay anywhere in that situation.
Hop should not upset Red because that originally was the plan.

Red? Have you listened to him in an interview? He says “ya’ know” in basically every sentence………I can’t see him being the face of Syracuse University. Being somewhat articulate is a must!
Ya Know i think hes got a pretty good shot

He hasn't. And he would never be the choice here. For a number of really good reasons. One, his history. 2 our history (2 time offender) his age. Rick is as good a coach as I have seen in my lifetime. I think it is possible that if he had stayed at Kentucky, he would be considered right there with Wooden and K. but he didn't and he is very much damaged goods.
He’s only 69, which yes is old, but I don’t think is too old to be able to give us at least 4-5 good years and rebuild the program / win something. And with respect to history, he really gotten any negative coverage at Iona, pretty much all positives since he took over. Granted this isn’t Iona. I can see how our administration would want to stay away from him though. I wasn’t really old enough for his Kentucky teams, but some of his Louisville teams were insanely good. Guy is surely a top notch HOF caliber coach who still has it as he has proved at Iona.

Rick Pitino would be awesome, but my gut tells me that wouldn't happen. He's an incredible coach at a local mid-major job and he worked for SU, so one would think he's in contention. However, he's negotiating a lifetime contract with Iona and I've heard that he's happy with the job and may not be looking for change. Maybe he's getting older and is content settling down. Adam Weitsman said that SU is extremely strict with NCAA rules ever since suffering sanctions. I think the administrators go over the top to look squeaky clean, and hiring Rick Pitino might not be the look they're going for.
I can see that, and I would normally say that he’s learned his lesson and would be sure to run a top notch program, but that didn’t exactly happen with say Larry Brown, which was kind of a similar situation.

Makes sense if he wants to settle down at Iona. At the same time, I wonder if them not making the tournament this year will have any affect on his decision. He went 25-8, 17-3 in conference play and didn’t make the tourney. Every year he’s gonna have to bank on winning the conference tournament. But I guess that’s also probably still easier than trying to take over at a big time program.

I rather see us hire Hop than Golden, who has proven nothing.

That being said Hop would be 3rd on my list of SU guys. We know Hop can be a good #2 and a good recruiter. But all signs are pointing to him being a poor #1. Kinda seems insane to even think about handing him the keys.

I rather give Red or Hart a shot and give them money to build a good staff. No more alumni hand outs, we shouldn't be giving on the job training they need to have already been trained.

Chances are Hop is going to be fired at Washington. Where does he go from there? Would he rather take a shot as a mid major HC? Or would he rather go back to being a #2 at his alma mater?

Something to think about here. Georgetown is just as likely as us to be looking for a new coach next year. It shares lots of the same main attractions as us, though we’re definitely in better shape overall. But say they’re willing to offer a bit more money, then I could definitely see them beating us out for a coach. Also some of the guys mentioned above have direct ties to Georgetown, like off the top of my head Boynton and Amakur.

This is probably going to be wildly unpopular, but an outside candidate could be Bobby Hurley Jr. Not if he has another year like he did this year or last year, but if he turns it around and has a good year, I could definitely see mutual interest between us and him. The guy has shown he can recruit even to Arizona state. He’ll certainly be a top top recruiter in the northeast, where he actually has ties to unlike in the middle of nowhere Arizona.

Also, why is everybody saying no to Rick Pitino? I wouldn’t mind having him at all…
Not everyone is saying no to Pitino. I do think there’s an amen chorus that catches the vapors should Slick Rick (gasp) be hired as HC. He’s a cheater and morally reprehensible, don’t you know…:rolleyes:
Realistically though, JW doesn’t have the cujones to make such a move.

Last edited:
Not everyone is saying no to Pitino. I do think there’s an amen chorus that’s catch the vapors should Slick Rick (gasp) be hired as HC. He’s a cheater and morally reprehensible, don’t you know…:rolleyes:
I don't think stones has anything to do with not hiring Pitino.

Not everyone is saying no to Pitino. I do think there’s an amen chorus that catches the vapors should Slick Rick (gasp) be hired as HC. He’s a cheater and morally reprehensible, don’t you know…:rolleyes:
JW isn't the problem. He's not the final decision maker and if he isn't hired it doesn't necessarily mean that we didn't try.

I don't think stones has anything to do with not hiring Pitino.
Fair enough, Dash. But i just watched a known and acknowledged cheater, who was given a lifetime contract btw, win a NC last night and I’d bet dollars to donuts, no one asked him about his indiscretions afterwards.
“Winning cures all ills” is as American as apple pie. Bout time our program got off its high horse and looked to do just that…win. JW hiring Pitino would be a good start. JMHO

Fair enough, Dash. But i just watched a known and acknowledged cheater, who was given a lifetime contract btw, win a NC last night and I’d bet dollars to donuts, no one asked him about his indiscretions afterwards.
“Winning cures all ills” is as American as apple pie. Bout time our program got off its high horse and looked to do just that…win. JW hiring Pitino would be a good start. JMHO
I would love it if the first question at the press conference, instead of meaningless word fellatio was "What do you think of the chances of this title being vacated in the next twelve months, due to the cheating in your program? With all due respect."

I don't get how people can overlook that 10-36 / 16-43 stretch Hop had. That seems like a big red flag. Even since then he is only 11-8. He started off great 58-24 but is 27-51 (barely over .3333) since. Even if you throw away 2021 (not sure why) he is 22-30 in his last 52 games. His 1st 82 games were great. His last 78 games have been awful. How can you justify giving him the keys over Red?

It appears that the P12 has him figured out. In his last 66 game vs P12 opponents he is 23-43. His 1st season he was 10-9. That 15-2 stretch in 2019 seems like the outlier.

Should have played Fab Melo (ignoring domestic abuse allegations for sake of this argument).

Thank God for that.

Wow, alum and Golf Analyst Ryan Burr coming off the top rope on Brent Axes show right now.

Cliff Notes
Could be worse next year
Alot of alums are concerned
Tired of being bubblish for 10 years
Easy to negative recruit against JB
2-3 Zone is dead due to 3pt shooting

Wow, alum and Golf Analyst Ryan Burr coming off the top rope on Brent Axes show right now.

Cliff Notes
Could be worse next year
Alot of alums are concerned
Tired of being bubblish for 10 years
Easy to negative recruit against JB
2-3 Zone is dead due to 3pt shooting
He’s got about much of a say as the rest of us lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members