What I'm hearing | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets look at what other schools that are replacing a HOF coach who has been at the same school since he was 18 years old and has coached multiple US Olympic teams and has the court named after them do vs a bunch of schools that replaced failures. Give me that statistics and im all ears.
Oh. And has a team named after him that is compromised of former players... so sure lets compare our situation to those other schools.
While you are doing your research ask yourself what schools in a similar situation decided to do.

Ill post this question again to those that are convinced we need to go outside for our next head coach.
Name an outsider that SU can reasonably expect to land that is so good, so much better than either Red or Gmac that they are worth leaving behind a 50 year foundation of excellence.
Even sticking with the subjectively flawed premise of “50 year foundation of excellence,” whether you favor an internal vs external hire seems to involve your commitment to zone as a major component. If you’re fine with zone continuing and solidifying as the Syracuse “identity,“ sure, continuity makes sense. If not, internal makes very little sense.

The other matter is that you’ve ascribed some sort of value to our incumbents, yet they haven’t proven anything. I assume you’re assuming it’s because they have ostensibly been contributors at some level toward the “50 year foundation of excellence,” but we don’t know what that level is. At least as important is the change from “excellence” to whatever we are now. How much responsibility did they have in that, when accounts are that JB has had less and less involvement over the recent years.

Lastly, the value of going outside versus staying inside should have no correlation to whether the ideal external candidate is immediately identified. My feeling is that the AD needs to decide one route or the other, and then identify the person after that. Not say, “Oh, it’s too hard to find someone on the outside—I don’t know who it is, so I won’t bother.” That would be quite lame and lazy.

Oh. And has a team named after him that is compromised of former players... so sure lets compare our situation to those other schools.
While you are doing your research ask yourself what schools in a similar situation decided to do.
You do realize that you just replied to your own post, right? Looking at JW's record, I think it will probably be Red. He seems to like former Syracuse people. Having said that, I don't see us hiring a big name guy. But a coach with a lot of juice ( no pun) and a great desire would or could do wonders here.

You are naming a lot of ‘characteristics’ that have no relevance or bearing on any decisions that could be made in this matter… and considering those characteristics as ‘facts’/statistics that contribute to predictability in some way.

Also, our “situation” is unique and no other schools’ choices have anything to do with ours. They don’t lead to probability.

Lets look at what other schools that are replacing a HOF coach who has been at the same school since he was 18 years old and has coached multiple US Olympic teams and has the court named after them do vs a bunch of schools that replaced failures. Give me that statistics and im all ears.

N of 1.

Which is why I put zero stock into posters pointing to what other programs do and suggesting it will be indicative of how things will unfold here.

What I DO know is that the program has been declining consistently in performance for nearly a decade, which is out of 100% out of whack with when programs typically make a continuity hire. What this program needs is a fresh set of eyes, and an infusion of energy. Not turning the keys over to internal candidates who are at least partially responsible for the decline, and have garnered zero significant interest for head coaching vacancies at other programs.

You do realize that you just replied to your own post, right? Looking at JW's record, I think it will probably be Red. He seems to like former Syracuse people. Having said that, I don't see us hiring a big name guy. But a coach with a lot of juice ( no pun) and a great desire would or could do wonders here.
I added to my own post. So who would be your choice?

Does JW get a pass if it’s a continuity hire and it fails?

Does JW get a pass if it’s a continuity hire and it fails?
Yes. Which is why Duke, NC and almost all programs that have HOF retiring coaches stay in house or hire one of their own. Its the safest choice.
If however JW throws Red and Hop to the curb and his choice fails he not only is gone his legacy is shot. We aren't talking about replacing Dino. This is a HOF coach who if not for the BS sanctions is possibly the most winning coach.
When i hear names like Paulus or anyone other than another a bona-fide star like Few it just doesn't make any sense. In fact its ludicrous.
Jw either needs to hit a home run or stay in house.

If however JW throws Red and Hop to the curb and his choice fails he not only is gone his legacy is shot.
This is way out there, even for you. You have an opinion about what should happen. No problem with that. But your prediction on what will happen to JW if his choice fails says to me you don’t know how highly JW is regarded by administration and the big donors.

I added to my own post. So who would be your choice?
No idea. Haven't given it a thought since it isn't my job to make that hire. I just know that it makes sense to have a real search. Keep in mind, that in a former life, the large financial institution that I worked for, hired me rather than go outside for the director of financial sales. They could have gone outside and didn't. But if I was in the position of picking the next coach, I wouldn't confuse where we are, with where Duke or North Carolina are.

Last edited:
Yes. Which is why Duke, NC and almost all programs that have HOF retiring coaches stay in house or hire one of their own. Its the safest choice.
If however JW throws Red and Hop to the curb and his choice fails he not only is gone his legacy is shot. We aren't talking about replacing Dino. This is a HOF coach who if not for the BS sanctions is possibly the most winning coach.
When i hear names like Paulus or anyone other than another a bona-fide star like Few it just doesn't make any sense. In fact its ludicrous.
Jw either needs to hit a home run or stay in house.
You don’t know that you've hit a home run until after you’ve taken the swing. You’re essentially advocating not swinging, and trying to work a walk, because the opposing pitcher is just too scary.

This is way out there, even for you. You have an opinion about what should happen. No problem with that. But your prediction on what will happen to JW if his choice fails says to me you don’t know how highly JW is regarded by administration and the big donors.
I do which is why he is going to stay in house

Scott Drew is the best coach that I think has a reasonable salary Cuse could beat. But I don't ever see that happening.
I bet baylor would outbid us. Those ppl throw money around like it grows on trees.

Doubt Scott Drew would leave Baylor, but I wouldn't mind looking at Bryce Drew. He got a lot of high-level recruits while at Vanderbilt, and his poor record there had a lot to do with injuries (obviously not entirely, but he did also have success coaching at Valpo and won the WAC at Grand Canyon in 2021).

I bet baylor would outbid us. Those ppl throw money around like it grows on trees.
I’d be curious to see how the salaries compare side by side when you factor in Texas vs New York taxes.

I don't think salary would be the only consideration for a coach we are trying to poach. I'd be asking about ten year plans for financing the program and it's players.

I don't think salary would be the only consideration for a coach we are trying to poach. I'd be asking about ten year plans for financing the program and it's players.

Finance the players?

Great point…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors