What I'm hearing | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill post this question again to those that are convinced we need to go outside for our next head coach.
Name an outsider that SU can reasonably expect to land that is so good, so much better than either Red or Gmac that they are worth leaving behind a 50 year foundation of excellence.

Ill post this question again to those that are convinced we need to go outside for our next head coach.
Name an outsider that SU can reasonably expect to land that is so good, so much better than either Red or Gmac that they are worth leaving behind a 50 year foundation of excellence.
I'm sure there are a lot of people that fall in to that. None of us have interviewed them. G-mac and Red are far from the only guys that can win at Syracuse. As a matter of fact. neither of them has won a single game as a Head coach at Syracuse. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Nate oates. Ed Cooley.

Mark Few - with JB’s blessing and Weitsman’s $upport

I'm sure there are a lot of people that fall in to that. None of us have interviewed them. G-mac and Red are far from the only guys that can win at Syracuse. As a matter of fact. neither of them has won a single game as a Head coach at Syracuse. Or anywhere else for that matter.
You are as solid a poster as this board has and very knowledgeable about college basketball. Who would you pick.
I also follow college bball more than most and i honestly cant decide. My choice would be Pitino as he is an amazing coach and SU could land him. Other than him im at a loss as i dont see anyone who we can land that is going to be a sure fire win.

You are as solid a poster as this board has and very knowledgeable about college basketball. Who would you pick.
I also follow college bball more than most and i honestly cant decide. My choice would be Pitino as he is an amazing coach and SU could land him. Other than him im at a loss as i dont see anyone who we can land that is going to be a sure fire win.
I would take Pitino on a 5 year basis, then on to next. He would put us back on top of ESPN's play list

According to you, we've had 50 consecutive years of excellence -- so what coach wouldn't sign up to follow that?

Thank you.

Diplomatic response that puts things in much-needed perspective.

According to you, we've had 50 consecutive years of excellence -- so what coach wouldn't sign up to follow that?
Who is your choice?

Let’s be honest… whether or not the next coach is successful is a complete crap shoot. It really comes down what the maximum level of talent the coach can pull in. If it’s consistently top 10 then we should expect top 25 every year… if top 25 ranking then we are probably borderline top 25 year… anything below and we are where we are today

Let’s be honest… whether or not the next coach is successful is a complete crap shoot. It really comes down what the maximum level of talent the coach can pull in. If it’s consistently top 10 then we should expect top 25 every year… if top 25 ranking then we are probably borderline top 25 year… anything below and we are where we are today
Agreed. That is why i believe you stay in the family. If Red or Gmac fail than go outside.

Wouldn’t it be great if JB had a great year and then stepped down, leaving a full cupboard. Like to see the Legund go out on a high note.
It would be great its unlikely that it will be a hollywood ending. I'd be thrilled to just make the tourney.

Nate oates. Ed Cooley.
We cant land Oats his buyout would preclude it. Ed would be fantastic but i dont see him leaving for Syracuse.
I got to know Moser when my Daughter was at Loyola and i thought that he would have been a home run but that wont happen now. I get the apprehension with Red and Gmac. I have serious reservations as well. I just dont see anyone out there that we can land that is so good that we shouldn't keep it in the family. Ed, Moser you bet. Unless something odd happens im pretty sure its Red.

We cant land Oats his buyout would preclude it. Ed would be fantastic but i dont see him leaving for Syracuse.
I got to know Moser when my Daughter was at Loyola and i thought that he would have been a home run but that wont happen now. I get the apprehension with Red and Gmac. I have serious reservations as well. I just dont see anyone out there that we can land that is so good that we shouldn't keep it in the family. Ed, Moser you bet. Unless something odd happens im pretty sure its Red.
You can only do so much at Providence. I think Ed would leave for Syracuse in a second. As for Nate I think you got to make a run at him. I don't see him staying at Alabama for life.

Who is your choice?

A qualified candidate with a proven track record of success, and not artificially constraining ourselves where "nice to have" criteria is over-weighted in the equation.

A qualified candidate with a proven track record of success, and not artificially constraining ourselves where "nice to have" criteria is over-weighted in the equation.
So who is your choice

Data was posted awhile back, and here is the helicopter view summary. About 70% of replacement coaches over a multi-decade period of time, replacing successful predecessors at high major programs fail to perform to the level of their predecessor.

Please note -- that is not the predecessor at their best, just where the program is when the entrenched head coach steps down.

Now, think about how that applies to where we are. We've averaged 13.85 losses over an eight year span. We had a losing record last season, and could be staring down the barrel of another challenging season. We've failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament twice in that 8 years span, and probably wouldn't a third time if the college season hadn't gotten cancelled due to COVID in 2020.

And from that "norm," we have a 70% chance of the replacement not performing up to that level.

Which is why it would be insane to hand the keys over to a completely unproven commodity like Red or GMac, that no other team has been interested in hiring.

A much more strategic approach would be to do everything we need to do to maximize our chances of being in the ~30% who DO exceed the level of performance when they take over, and don't fail. We don't have time to "see what anyone can do" -- we've already declined.

We need the next head coach to elevate the program, not maintain a subpar status quo.

You can only do so much at Providence. I think Ed would leave for Syracuse in a second. As for Nate I think you got to make a run at him. I don't see him staying at Alabama for life.

10 million dollar buyout. Quick run.

Scott Drew is the best coach that I think has a reasonable salary Cuse could beat. But I don't ever see that happening.

Data was posted awhile back, and here is the helicopter view summary. About 70% of replacement coaches over a multi-decade period of time, replacing successful predecessors at high major programs fail to perform to the level of their predecessor.

Please note -- that is not the predecessor at their best, just where the program is when the entrenched head coach steps down.

Now, think about how that applies to where we are. We've averaged 13.85 losses over an eight year span. We had a losing record last season, and could be staring down the barrel of another challenging season. We've failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament twice in that 8 years span, and probably wouldn't a third time if the college season hadn't gotten cancelled due to COVID in 2020.

And from that "norm," we have a 70% chance of the replacement not performing up to that level.

Which is why it would be insane to hand the keys over to a completely unproven commodity like Red or GMac, that no other team has been interested in hiring.

A much more strategic approach would be to do everything we need to do to maximize our chances of being in the ~30% who DO exceed the level of performance when they take over, and don't fail. We don't have time to "see what anyone can do" -- we've already declined.
Lets look at what other schools that are replacing a HOF coach who has been at the same school since he was 18 years old and has coached multiple US Olympic teams and has the court named after them do vs a bunch of schools that replaced failures. Give me that statistics and im all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom