What is BJ Johnson? | Syracusefan.com

What is BJ Johnson?

2-3zone

2nd String
Guard or Forward

He has to be a guard right?

I can't imagine him playing on the back line of our defense next year with him being rail thin

Guard or Forward

I can't imagine him playing on the back line of our defense next year with him being rail thin
he's one of the few players on the roster that appears to have the potential to be a volume scorer - something we sorely needed this year..

Before anyone suggests he can't play the 3, let's remember who we've had there before. It hasn't always been a Grant, or CJ, or Warrick. Rautins spent time there. Marius Janulis played there before the zone became our identity. We've played small/thin guys there in the past. Even if he's a defensive liability, if his scoring is a favorable trade off, put him there.

Before anyone suggests he can't play the 3, let's remember who we've had there before. It hasn't always been a Grant, or CJ, or Warrick. Rautins spent time there. Marius Janulis played there before the zone became our identity. We've played small/thin guys there in the past. Even if he's a defensive liability, if his scoring is a favorable trade off, put him there.
We also saw G play some F, particularly during the last two games. So, if G can play there, BJ certainly could. I am not sure G got even one rebound from the F position in those last two games. BJ could easily better that.

Guard or Forward

Unless he gains 40 or 50 pounds, he's going to be SG in my opinion. As a forward he would be bounced around like pinball.

If Grant leaves, we have only 2 true forwards and a center who can occasionally play out of position as a PF (Rak). With the logjam at SG, I expect the majority of BJ's minutes to be at SF.

newmexicuse said:
If I had gotten to see him play, I would be happy to let you know.

Must not have watched the first bunch of games and exhibitions...

Guard or Forward

Again, he is a very good and talented basketball player who can play multiple positions. I propose this question: What is Kobe? 1/2/3, Melo 3/4, KD 1/2/3/4, LBJ 1/2/3/4, Tim D 4/5, R Westbrook 1/2, AI 1/2, Dirk 3/4/5, Blake 3/4/5, C Bosh 3/4/5, G Gervin 2/3, Reggie Miller 2/3 Majic 1/2/3/4/5 Bird 2/3/4 and could name a hundred other players that answer your question that are very, very good players. (Left out college players for a great reason!)
bj vs binghamton.jpg

Last edited:
Again, he is a very good and talented basketball player who can play multiple positions. I propose this question: What is Kobe? 1/2/3, Melo 3/4, KD 1/2/3/4, LBJ 1/2/3/4, Tim D 4/5, R Westbrook 1/2, AI 1/2, Dirk 3/4/5, Blake 3/4/5, C Bosh 3/4/5, G Gervin 2/3, Reggie Miller 2/3 Majic 1/2/3/4/5 Bird 2/3/4 and could name a hundred other players that answer your question that are very, very good players. (Left out college players for a great reason!)
View attachment 9486

I love that photo. The fellas are getting busy!

BJ Johnson is a basketball player. No need to define positions. I can see him sometimes playing at the top of the zone and sometimes in one of the bottom corners of the zone. Doesn't matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom