What is left for us to recruit for 2016? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is left for us to recruit for 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether or not Daoust is the best position coach at SU has nothing to do with whether or not he tells the truth to some reporter. Are you just believing what you want to hear or are you applying some discriminating analysis that serves an independent judgement? My claim is that any coach who professes confidence in an interior D-line in which there is little returning experience and in which a couple of freshman are going to be needed to provide depth and perhaps significantly more is very likely blowing some degree of smoke...but I have no interest in convincing you or anyone else of this- just offering an opinion about how you can't always believe messages like "hope and change and transparency."
I have an opinion to offer...

That depends on your definition of "fine." You remember all those big plays that have been given up? Many of those plays were the result of a D- line that couldn't generate a pass rush on its own.
Some of those big plays, were plain bad tackling by the secondary. The pass in the flat against Maryland that went for 85 yards was in front of me, and 3 Syracuse players, either fell down or missed the tackle.

That depends on your definition of "fine." You remember all those big plays that have been given up? Many of those plays were the result of a D- line that couldn't generate a pass rush on its own.

i actually have trouble remembering a lot of 'big plays' being given up considering our defense was ranked 27th in total D. 30 in rushing Defense yards, 32 in rushing ypg, 38th in passing D and unbelievably 38th in scoring defense.

PhatOrange said:
i actually have trouble remembering a lot of 'big plays' being given up considering our defense was ranked 27th in total D. 30 in rushing Defense yards, 32 in rushing ypg, 38th in passing D and unbelievably 38th in scoring defense.

Yeah and those big runs that we gave up. I can't remember any. Not a one.

26th in total D* ;)

Our defense did insanely well considering we had zero offense and they had to be on the field for 40+ minutes a game. Might be one of our most underrated defenses in years.
I agree, and with better balance this year, although there are quite a few new guys, the defense could be just as good. And then scary good next year.

Probably the BC game at the end of the regular season.
Not till then? I had hoped you'd come up for the golf outing. I'll hold off on the Makers Mark until then otherwise it might be empty when you get here.

I am sure you have an opinion- just not sure how valuable it is given your personal connection to the team. Ask yourself these questions. If team A had the best D-line coach in college football and was entering the season with a personnel grouping of interior D-linemen that consisted of 1 senior with a serious injury history, 2 redshirt freshmen who haven't played a down of college football, and 3 true freshman how confident could you possibly be and would you suggest that Team A should not be very interested in recruiting additional interior D-linemen?

I have an opinion to offer...

I am sure you have an opinion- just not sure how valuable it is given your personal connection to the team. Ask yourself these questions. If team A had the best D-line coach in college football and was entering the season with a personnel grouping of interior D-linemen that consisted of 1 senior with a serious injury history, 2 redshirt freshmen who haven't played a down of college football, and 3 true freshman how confident could you possibly be and would you suggest that Team A should not be very interested in recruiting additional interior D-linemen?

Relax buddy

No less than yours. Take that for what you deem it to be worth. Personally, I trust Coach Daoust's opinion, especially since 1. he earns his living by eating, sleeping, and breathing defense and 2. he's done a damn good job these past several years.

Take a breather, sometimes its better to say nothing at all, you might try that some time.

What we lack on the DL is experience, not talent or bodies. How is recruiting another 1 or 2 DL this year helping with our experience on the DL this year?

I don't understand your point and besides any kids on the DL recruited this year will still be inexperienced next year.

How many DL do you think a team should have out of 85 scholarship players? Should 10% of your roster be defensive lineman to man 2 positions? Daoust has typically used 4-5 DL in a rotation, does that mean you have to have 8 DL on the roster? Based on that ratio, we should have 22 offensive linemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom