What is left for us to recruit for 2016? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What is left for us to recruit for 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure you have an opinion- just not sure how valuable it is given your personal connection to the team. Ask yourself these questions. If team A had the best D-line coach in college football and was entering the season with a personnel grouping of interior D-linemen that consisted of 1 senior with a serious injury history, 2 redshirt freshmen who haven't played a down of college football, and 3 true freshman how confident could you possibly be and would you suggest that Team A should not be very interested in recruiting additional interior D-linemen?

SMFH

I am sure you have an opinion- just not sure how valuable it is given your personal connection to the team. Ask yourself these questions. If team A had the best D-line coach in college football and was entering the season with a personnel grouping of interior D-linemen that consisted of 1 senior with a serious injury history, 2 redshirt freshmen who haven't played a down of college football, and 3 true freshman how confident could you possibly be and would you suggest that Team A should not be very interested in recruiting additional interior D-linemen?

Listen everyone is entitled to their opinion but criticism of other posters isn't acceptable.

Last edited:
I know you guys like to stick up for the parents that post here and I don't want to speak for bcubs but quite honestly you don't need to engage them. This isn't fan board and we understand there will be irrational people and offensive things said. We have the option to block or ignore. While I don't understand the need for people to be negative in the preseason or the need to bash kids they have never seen play... It is expected on a board such as this. I don't understand rooting for a team you have lost hope in. Back in the 80s I was a big celtics fan the 90s made me feel the team lost its identity and I stopped watching. I didn't go back to watching when they made the playoffs or won the championship If they found an identity that i could appreciate I would go back and watch. That said I am a Bruins fan and have been for years during the 80s I watched when we barley missed the championship during the 90s I watched when we weren't even close during the past decade I watched while they made it. I watched them becauseI always felt like they were working towards winning. Maybe it didn't always work maybe they made mistakes but they always picked themselves up and headed back in the fight. They had coaches I didn't think did a good job but the players fought. Some times the coaches were really good and the players didn't fight. Please don't bore me with your "you don't know what we have been through". I m also a Red Sox Fan and I have been through worse. Some years like the Red Sox are having this year you have to walk away and not watch. The coach isn't right the team gave up the owners made the wrong moves. I get it. But as we watch the trades happen even if I question some of them i remain Hopeful next year will be better. Maybe the picked up a kid I don't see it in but what do I know I'm not coaching the team. Maybe that guy will sit in the bench and be traded before he plays but either way I will watch and see what they can do because I believe they are trying to win. So I guess what I am saying is if you are a FAN then have some faith... If you have lost that faith walk away till you find something to believe in here again. But as much as your comments don't bother me I will guarantee it bothers some. It is a fact lots of parents read this board. You attacking parents that post does not help you Get the team you want. Posting coach shafer needs to be fired does not help you get or retain players to get your team where you want to go. Bashing a player that hasn't played a down does not help improve moral on the team or make a kid want to play here. Being positive and upbeat will help you get those players you want. It will make kids want to fight for you. My final suggestion is if you Want to sabotage this team continue what you are doing. Perhaps you would be better served creating a board called Syracuse sucks and getting your negative message out there without all these positive people getting in the way. Or you could just support and comment on the nunes page they do a good enough job bashing everything this team does

I know you guys like to stick up for the parents that post here and I don't want to speak for bcubs but quite honestly you don't need to engage them. This isn't fan board and we understand there will be irrational people and offensive things said. We have the option to block or ignore. While I don't understand the need for people to be negative in the preseason or the need to bash kids they have never seen play... It is expected on a board such as this. I don't understand rooting for a team you have lost hope in. Back in the 80s I was a big celtics fan the 90s made me feel the team lost its identity and I stopped watching. I didn't go back to watching when they made the playoffs or won the championship If they found an identity that i could appreciate I would go back and watch. That said I am a Bruins fan and have been for years during the 80s I watched when we barley missed the championship during the 90s I watched when we weren't even close during the past decade I watched while they made it. I watched them becauseI always felt like they were working towards winning. Maybe it didn't always work maybe they made mistakes but they always picked themselves up and headed back in the fight. They had coaches I didn't think did a good job but the players fought. Some times the coaches were really good and the players didn't fight. Please don't bore me with your "you don't know what we have been through". I m also a Red Sox Fan and I have been through worse. Some years like the Red Sox are having this year you have to walk away and not watch. The coach isn't right the team gave up the owners made the wrong moves. I get it. But as we watch the trades happen even if I question some of them i remain Hopeful next year will be better. Maybe the picked up a kid I don't see it in but what do I know I'm not coaching the team. Maybe that guy will sit in the bench and be traded before he plays but either way I will watch and see what they can do because I believe they are trying to win. So I guess what I am saying is if you are a FAN then have some faith... If you have lost that faith walk away till you find something to believe in here again. But as much as your comments don't bother me I will guarantee it bothers some. It is a fact lots of parents read this board. You attacking parents that post does not help you Get the team you want. Posting coach shafer needs to be fired does not help you get or retain players to get your team where you want to go. Bashing a player that hasn't played a down does not help improve moral on the team or make a kid want to play here. Being positive and upbeat will help you get those players you want. It will make kids want to fight for you. My final suggestion is if you Want to sabotage this team continue what you are doing. Perhaps you would be better served creating a board called Syracuse sucks and getting your negative message out there without all these positive people getting in the way. Or you could just support and comment on the nunes page they do a good enough job bashing everything this team does

Great post Bam. Regardless of what the team did the prior year, come July I always end up finding myself excited for the upcoming season. I think the majority of SU fans feel this way.

You have to understand that in CNY, there is a love hate relationship with SU. Some people are just outrageously negative, and Eeyore like. I'm not sure if it's growing up in the cold, or a town that has seen most of its jobs leave or what, but there are many (my best friends and parents included!) who will be negative beyond rationality to anything "good" in the area. I'm not sure the reason, but it is different in other parts of the country. So, when people talk about the "good old days" in the '90s around here, and then gripe about everything wrong with the current team, the players, coaches, etc..., understand that they probably did the same exact thing during "the good old days."

They will call this healthy cynicism, or being able to have their own opinion, and it's a message board, so dammit, they can say what they want! I don't necessarily disagree with this if it's constructive, and not mean spirited. These people claim others are "pollyannas" and seeing things through orange tinted glasses. What they aren't capable of seeing in themselves though, is that they're doing the same exact thing in the opposite direction. They're projecting a negative outlook forward into the next season, without any basis for it. Yes, the team played poorly last year, but the players never gave up. There were tons of injuries (EXCUSES! Cry the cynicists), the offense didn't come together (LESTER SUCKS TOO!) even though the new OC never got to start a new offense. He's going to run a "12" personnel grouping (IT'S AWFUL! I know football and all the schemes because I play Madden and assistant coach my kids Pop Warner team!!!), and Terrell Hunt is coming back and is confident in the new offense (THEY SAY THAT EVERY YEAR, WE'RE DOOMED!!!).

You see, some people will never be truly happy. If the team goes out there and wins, some of those folks (the ones who truly are fans) will probably come around. Others just like to be grumpy, and upset at something. It's like it's their venting outlet. Life sucks, work sucks, school sucks, city sucks, I can take it out on these young men who put more work and time into an endeavor than I probably ever have in my entire life. Why they do it? Probably it's ingrained in them, a learned behavior, something they saw in their parents, and they do it themselves.

How do I know? I used to be one of them. I used to be that person. Recently I've had two little girls, and started reflecting on my upbringing. I was a lucky kid, with everything I needed in life. I love my family and CNY greatly, and would move back in a second if I could. But I didn't want that pervasive negativity for my kids, for my family. I've worked on changing myself these past three years into being a better, happier, more optimistic person. It's a game, and these kids come to play for SU, and Coach Shafer seems like a great person who has the right priorities in terms of what athletes he chooses to bring in. I hope that attitude will eventually breed success on the football field. I CHOOSE to believe that it will. It may not, and things may go south, but why just expect that? What's the sense of just BELIEVING things will end badly? I may as well be happy and optimistic in the preseason, and hope that I see signs of progress during the year. Because I know beyond anything else that even though I have a lot invested in this team personally, my personal stake isn't in the SAME UNIVERSE with Coach Shafer and the players. They want to win (I'm sure) even more badly than I want them to win. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, because after all, aren't we all on the same team here? /rant

Great post Bam. Regardless of what the team did the prior year, come July I always end up finding myself excited for the upcoming season. I think the majority of SU fans feel this way.

You have to understand that in CNY, there is a love hate relationship with SU. Some people are just outrageously negative, and Eeyore like. I'm not sure if it's growing up in the cold, or a town that has seen most of its jobs leave or what, but there are many (my best friends and parents included!) who will be negative beyond rationality to anything "good" in the area. I'm not sure the reason, but it is different in other parts of the country. So, when people talk about the "good old days" in the '90s around here, and then gripe about everything wrong with the current team, the players, coaches, etc..., understand that they probably did the same exact thing during "the good old days."

They will call this healthy cynicism, or being able to have their own opinion, and it's a message board, so dammit, they can say what they want! I don't necessarily disagree with this if it's constructive, and not mean spirited. These people claim others are "pollyannas" and seeing things through orange tinted glasses. What they aren't capable of seeing in themselves though, is that they're doing the same exact thing in the opposite direction. They're projecting a negative outlook forward into the next season, without any basis for it. Yes, the team played poorly last year, but the players never gave up. There were tons of injuries (EXCUSES! Cry the cynicists), the offense didn't come together (LESTER SUCKS TOO!) even though the new OC never got to start a new offense. He's going to run a "12" personnel grouping (IT'S AWFUL! I know football and all the schemes because I play Madden and assistant coach my kids Pop Warner team!!!), and Terrell Hunt is coming back and is confident in the new offense (THEY SAY THAT EVERY YEAR, WE'RE DOOMED!!!).

You see, some people will never be truly happy. If the team goes out there and wins, some of those folks (the ones who truly are fans) will probably come around. Others just like to be grumpy, and upset at something. It's like it's their venting outlet. Life sucks, work sucks, school sucks, city sucks, I can take it out on these young men who put more work and time into an endeavor than I probably ever have in my entire life. Why they do it? Probably it's ingrained in them, a learned behavior, something they saw in their parents, and they do it themselves.

How do I know? I used to be one of them. I used to be that person. Recently I've had two little girls, and started reflecting on my upbringing. I was a lucky kid, with everything I needed in life. I love my family and CNY greatly, and would move back in a second if I could. But I didn't want that pervasive negativity for my kids, for my family. I've worked on changing myself these past three years into being a better, happier, more optimistic person. It's a game, and these kids come to play for SU, and Coach Shafer seems like a great person who has the right priorities in terms of what athletes he chooses to bring in. I hope that attitude will eventually breed success on the football field. I CHOOSE to believe that it will. It may not, and things may go south, but why just expect that? What's the sense of just BELIEVING things will end badly? I may as well be happy and optimistic in the preseason, and hope that I see signs of progress during the year. Because I know beyond anything else that even though I have a lot invested in this team personally, my personal stake isn't in the SAME UNIVERSE with Coach Shafer and the players. They want to win (I'm sure) even more badly than I want them to win. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, because after all, aren't we all on the same team here? /rant

Great post.

My take on the "you're wearing orange tinted glasses" is always "isn't that what fans are supposed to do?"

Great post Bam!

I'll take part of your post a step further. I'm firm believer that you simply don't boo or publicly disparage an amateur athlete, especially while they're on the active roster. The players deserve better considering how hard they played through last year's debacle. They never quit which is a testament to their individual character and the coaches' motivational skills.

Re: the staff, I absolutely believe they're rebuilding the program the right way. For the most part, only high character kids are offered. If we can pull-off an 8 or 9 win season, the recruiting flood gates should burst open. If the AD is squeamish about giving Shaf an extension right now...at least release a public statement explaining that the staff will be here for the life of his contract. We need to continue the 2017 recruiting momentum and the Orange Revolution.

Last edited:
Great post Bam!

I'll take part of your post a step further. I'm firm believer that you simply don't boo or publicly disparage an amateur athlete, especially while they're on the active roster. The players deserve better considering how hard they played through last year's debacle. They never quit which is a testament to their individual character and the coaches' motivational skills.

Re: the staff, I absolutely believe they're rebuilding the program the right way. For the most part, only high character kids are offered. If we can pull-off an 8 or 9 win season, the recruiting flood gates should burst open. If the AD is squeamish about giving Shaf an extension right now...at least release a public statement explaining that the staff will be here for the life of his contract. We need to continue to 2017 recruiting momentum and the Orange Revolution.

I don’t understand why ‘fans’ of the program would come to the ‘fan’ board and dump on the team, dump on the coaches and dump on the recruits. Isn’t that like taking a dump in your living room, right in front of your couch?

and then what asking people to come over and hang out and wondering why they don’t?

isn't there an old saying "don't sheet where you eat" or something like that?

Last edited:
PhatOrange said:
I don’t understand why ‘fans’ of the program would come to the ‘fan’ board and dump on the team, dump on the coaches and dump on the recruits. Isn’t that like taking a dump in your living room, right in front of your couch? and then what asking people to come over and hang out and wondering why they don’t? But isn't there an old saying "don't sheet where you eat" or something like that?

That's the thing. The people pooping in front of their couch will tell you "it's my house" and "it's always smelled funny" and "no one is coming over - not parents or recruits"...

Meanwhile - parents and recruits do come over and notice. The local media comes over and gauges the smell of the stink and knows that it can feed that beast for clicks.

The best part is that these same people read other boards and make fun of them for crapping in their own house.

we will bring in 2

Can you give any indication of where you are getting this information from? You keep posting it as if its fact. You're literally the only person saying that. Not one other recruiting insider or person with connections has stated anything near this happening. Please, enlighten us.

Especially involving something as fluid as recruiting, I don't get why you repeatedly state something like it's a fact.

Last edited:
That's the thing. The people pooping in front of their couch will tell you "it's my house" and "it's always smelled funny" and "no one is coming over - not parents or recruits"...

Meanwhile - parents and recruits do come over and notice. The local media comes over and gauges the smell of the stink and knows that it can feed that beast for clicks.

The best part is that these same people read other boards and make fun of them for crapping in their own house.
Perfect analogy.

Can you give any indication of where you are getting this information from? You keep posting it as if its fact. You're literally the only person saying that. Not one other recruiting insider or person with connections has stated anything near this happening. Please, enlighten us.

Especially involving something as fluid as recruiting, I don't get why you repeatedly state something like it's a fact.
Been wondering the same thing, but kcsu is usually close to the truth with these kinds of things. Watching it play out.

Been wondering the same thing, but kcsu is usually close to the truth with these kinds of things. Watching it play out.

I'm just annoyed at how cryptic he is about it, lol. I follow recruiting very closely and have connections to people that follow it even closer than I do. Not one person has mentioned any kind of scenario like this.

Like I said in the beginning of this thread, I predict if we don't get Bo Peek (would be a miracle if we got him), then we don't take any DTs this year. The only way I would see it really being possible is if somehow more scholarships opened up.

Most of you guys are laughable and truly incapable of generating an independent thought. I didn't "attack" any parent nor did I "attack" any player. I suggested that a parent may not have an opinion about the construction of the team that I consider valuable because his personal connection might make rational analysis impossible and that a unit on the team has little depth and experience and is a cause for concern. Neither the parent nor anyone else answered the questions that I posed, further illustrating the comical character of the "thought" processes being exhibited.

Most of you guys are laughable and truly incapable of generating an independent thought. I didn't "attack" any parent nor did I "attack" any player. I suggested that a parent may not have an opinion about the construction of the team that I consider valuable because his personal connection might make rational analysis impossible and that a unit on the team has little depth and experience and is a cause for concern. Neither the parent nor anyone else answered the questions that I posed, further illustrating the comical character of the "thought" processes being exhibited.
What "independent" thought are you talking about? You think the d-line is going to have some serious issues. Clark's dad (for obvious reasons) doesn't. Jek says he believes Daoust that he's happy with the talent. Cusian agrees that he'll take Daoust at his word. Phat chimed in and said that while he agrees that the DL is solid, depth will be an issue. Seemed like everyone chimed in on it, and I'm sorry if someone accused you specifically as attacking parents. I didn't think you did that.

I'll add my two cents to the topic, since the topic is an interesting one. I agree with Phat that the DL is not very deep, and short on upperclassmen. I think it will be a work in progress this year, and I hope that the first three games will help the freshmen get their feet wet and get them up to game speed. Freshman always take their lumps, even the very best. I think that will happen this year, but hopefully the early experience will pay dividends later this season into next year and beyond.

I hope we try to take one more DT this year, because I think it would be great for depth. We had lots of attrition on the DL in the past couple of years, and having more bodies on the line is never a bad thing, especially if they can push for playing time.

RoofBeam said:

1. Daoust said he's happy with the talent
2. Has concerns about depth
3. I say he's not one to blow smoke and that he's earned a level of trust due to all of his dlines over the years being damn good
4. You say coaches lie
5. A parent of one of the guys (who has had this man to his freaking house and trusts him with his kid) vouches for his character
6. You say none of that matters, coaches lie to the media and you're concerned
7. Which is FINE. But don't describe people in the know who have faith in the coach as having "comical character"

Perhaps you would be better served creating a board called Syracuse sucks and getting your negative message out there without all these positive people getting in the way. Or you could just support and comment on the nunes page they do a good enough job bashing everything this team does

But Bam, we already have that board on here. It's called the Syracuse Football Forum!

The Football Recruiting Forum is for optimists, the Football Forum is for pessimists and hater's. I know that may be going a little too far, but for the most part it is true. I honestly don't understand why some of them consider themselves fans. They are unlike any other "fans" that I know. If a majority of your posts are negative in nature, you are not a fan. Especially if your negative before the season even starts. Honestly, I think some would find a way to be unhappy if they were Alabama fans.

But Bam, we already have that board on here. It's called the Syracuse Football Forum!

The Football Recruiting Forum is for optimists, the Football Forum is for pessimists and hater's. I know that may be going a little too far, but for the most part it is true. I honestly don't understand why some of them consider themselves fans. They are unlike any other "fans" that I know. If a majority of your posts are negative in nature, you are not a fan. Especially if your negative before the season even starts. Honestly, I think some would find a way to be unhappy if they were Alabama fans.
thats why I dont go there... never go to the football page. but every once and a while one sneaks over the fence into here

Whatever. You got an answer. Several, actually. You didn't like the responses. Tough crap. Just another @!#$ I will now completely ignore.

Totally agree. Some of the postings over there are the equivalent of " I love my wife, that's why I beat the sht out of her".

Tone it down. You make some good points and ask reasonable questions about the d-line. However, don't insult people because they have a different opinion than you do.

The collective response to your post was stunning - equal parts predictable, vacuous, reflexive, and lacking in any kind of attempt at thoughtful engagement. You know, what a message board for fans is supposed to be about. I imagine many here look at the state run media of China or North Korea and find inspiration.

CusyLegacy said "criticism of other posters isn't acceptable". I'm anxiously awaiting the reprimand bcubs will receive for calling RoofBeam a curse word - you know, an actual attack on another poster instead of an invented one. I won't be holding my breath.

What "independent" thought are you talking about? You think the d-line is going to have some serious issues. Clark's dad (for obvious reasons) doesn't. Jek says he believes Daoust that he's happy with the talent. Cusian agrees that he'll take Daoust at his word. Phat chimed in and said that while he agrees that the DL is solid, depth will be an issue. Seemed like everyone chimed in on it, and I'm sorry if someone accused you specifically as attacking parents. I didn't think you did that.

I'll add my two cents to the topic, since the topic is an interesting one. I agree with Phat that the DL is not very deep, and short on upperclassmen. I think it will be a work in progress this year, and I hope that the first three games will help the freshmen get their feet wet and get them up to game speed. Freshman always take their lumps, even the very best. I think that will happen this year, but hopefully the early experience will pay dividends later this season into next year and beyond.

I hope we try to take one more DT this year, because I think it would be great for depth. We had lots of attrition on the DL in the past couple of years, and having more bodies on the line is never a bad thing, especially if they can push for playing time.

I'd like to get another DT, too. Peek is one. Of those who are uncommitted, I like DeMatto. I think he'd be a better fit than Peek because of the way he moves.

For some, it's not "if" we win lose but, rather, "how" we win or lose. Style over substance.

And you're right...some would be unhappy as 'Bama fans because they don't play a certain style offense. After all...who are we to question their superior football credentials/experience or command of dubious statistics. Lather, rinse, repeat. Yawn.

Personally, I can't wait to see Lester's new offense and our re-worked defense. Let the team perform before we through the program to the curb.

For some, it's not "if" we win lose but, rather, "how" we win or lose. Style over substance.

And you're right...some would be unhappy as 'Bama fans because they don't play a certain style offense. After all...who are we to question their superior football credentials/experience or command of dubious statistics. Lather, rinse, repeat. Yawn.

Personally, I can't wait to see Lester's new offense and our re-worked defense. Let the team perform before we through the program to the curb.
Never could understand the "style over substance" mentality. A win is a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom