What is left for us to recruit for 2016? | Syracusefan.com

What is left for us to recruit for 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a safety, maybe Rose at tight end. Who else?

Donald Stewart and possibly one of Bo Peek/Christian Colon. Although all of those guys will be hard to get. If Peek doesn't get into Stanford, we will be sitting pretty for his services.

Safety - Burrell (or maybe Cycoby Burch, or possibly still Devon Clarke)
Tight End - Rose (not sure who his backup would be at this point)

After that, possibly still a WR, if we feel we can land Donald Stewart.

Potentially a DT. Peek is at the top of the list. Remains to be seen what will happen with Colon. After those two, though, I don't anticipate a lot of movement at that position.

After those positions, if we still have spots left over, you might just see a little bit of "best player available" mentality. DB and TE are pretty far and away the two positions the coaches seem most concerned with in these final few spots.

Safety - Burrell (or maybe Cycoby Burch, or possibly still Devon Clarke)
Tight End - Rose (not sure who his backup would be at this point)

After that, possibly still a WR, if we feel we can land Donald Stewart.

Potentially a DT. Peek is at the top of the list. Remains to be seen what will happen with Colon. After those two, though, I don't anticipate a lot of movement at that position.

After those positions, if we still have spots left over, you might just see a little bit of "best player available" mentality. DB and TE are pretty far and away the two positions the coaches seem most concerned with in these final few spots.

If we don't end up getting Peek, I don't see them taking a DT. Would rather get more defensive back depth anyway. I predict we end up with 18 commits when its all said and done. Hopefully we can get 4 of Peek, Burrell, Burch, Stewart, Clarke, Rose. I just don't see them really pursuing Colon honestly.

We should be playing the waiting game for all but Rose, right Jek?

If we don't end up getting Peek, I don't see them taking a DT. Would rather get more defensive back depth anyway. I predict we end up with 18 commits when its all said and done. Hopefully we can get 4 of Peek, Burrell, Burch, Stewart, Clarke, Rose. I just don't see them really pursuing Colon honestly.

We should be playing the waiting game for all but Rose, right Jek?
That's my thought, yeah. By all accounts Burrell is going to wait to decide until after he takes his officials, so it's a holding pattern for just about everyone else. Burch is deciding on the 28th but probably picking West Virginia or USF, to be honest. Rose is deciding sometime soon but hasn't set a date.

My bet is on Rose, possibly Burrell, and then 2-4 players we have yet to hear anything about.

Nothing that hasn't been stated.

This class is pretty much closed except for S and TE which is more depth than need. We will take a DT or OL if one we really like wants to commit. Any further spots will be filled with high end players who are waiting on making their commits till later in their senior season (many of which you awesome gurus have mentioned in prior posts),

The staff is moving on to '17 and getting a head start. One of the blessings of having a smaller class is the staff can put more time into focusing on this upcoming season, shoring up commits, and focusing on '17. Depending on the season, '17 could be huge.

Another major aspect is that there are at least 6 players from this class who are potentially enrolling in January if not more. That is potentially a third of the class being here for spring ball and gaining an additional semester of D1 football/S&C.

So, what I'm hearing is that it's going to be a while before we get another "Boom!". :(

So, what I'm hearing is that it's going to be a while before we get another "Boom!". :(
Depends on when Jay Rose decides to, er, decide. He said he'd like to by the end of the summer, so it could come at any time.

Interior D-Line. I think the lack of depth is a worry this year and going forward and I don't believe Daoust when he says he is comfortable with what is currently available. Even if the three freshmen turn out to be very good players from the outset I question whether there are enough bodies to play the D that Bullough intends to play and if one or two of those bodies gets nicked the team is in scramble mode.

Interior D-Line. I think the lack of depth is a worry this year and going forward and I don't believe Daoust when he says he is comfortable with what is currently available. Even if the three freshmen turn out to be very good players from the outset I question whether there are enough bodies to play the D that Bullough intends to play and if one or two of those bodies gets nicked the team is in scramble mode.
I think we could use a little more depth, but I absolutely believe Daoust when he says he's happy with what he's got. I think our 5 young DTs are going to be a strength of the team in the next couple years. I'm also starting to get why we're not in desperation mode - our 5 guys are all RF or FR, so we're already very young, and we're in the running for some OUTSTANDING tackles in the 2017 class. So if we can't get Peek (or maybe Colon) then I can see why the staff doesn't necessarily want to just take a body they aren't excited about.

RoofBeam said:

Daoust strikes you as a blowing smoke kind of guy?

I'd hope they could find a DT or two, considering what they lost there with Williams and Sloan bailing.

I don't see what signing another TE does for them. They already have six on the roster, of which
maybe four matter (dunkelberger, provo, batten, parris). I don't think jacob green or cam macpherson
really figure into their plans. They actually have seven, if you count Kendall Moore, who I think they
are wasting their time converting to a center, as he's 239 lb. 3 of the important TEs are sophs. Given
that SU wants to use hybrids who are WRs/RBs, what's the point of grabbing another TE? You already
have a small class, fitting an 8th TE into the team seems a little redundant given the number they can
sign. If they could pull in Burrell or Clarke, Peek or Colon, Stewart, and maybe one DE, I'd say "done".

kev

I doubt that his tendency to lie to the public is more pronounced than any other coach on any other college staff. Coaches serve their perception of the best interests of the team which quite often have nothing at all to do with the telling of the truth.
Daoust strikes you as a blowing smoke kind of guy?

RoofBeam said:
I doubt that his tendency to lie to the public is more pronounced than any other coach on any other college staff. Coaches serve their perception of the best interests of the team which quite often have nothing at all to do with the telling of the truth.

I don't know. This guy says we're fine every year and hasn't been wrong yet. Benefit of the doubt granted.

That depends on your definition of "fine." You remember all those big plays that have been given up? Many of those plays were the result of a D- line that couldn't generate a pass rush on its own.
I don't know. This guy says we're fine every year and hasn't been wrong yet. Benefit of the doubt granted.

RoofBeam said:
That depends on your definition of "fine." You remember all those big plays that have been given up? Many of those plays were the result of a D- line that couldn't generate a pass rush on its own.

No line gets to the QB every play. I've been happy with our line play since Daoust got here. The guy is the best position coach we have.

Every year ESPN or someone writes that the Dline will be a problem for us and every year it's one of our strengths (along with LB's).

Whether or not Daoust is the best position coach at SU has nothing to do with whether or not he tells the truth to some reporter. Are you just believing what you want to hear or are you applying some discriminating analysis that serves an independent judgement? My claim is that any coach who professes confidence in an interior D-line in which there is little returning experience and in which a couple of freshman are going to be needed to provide depth and perhaps significantly more is very likely blowing some degree of smoke...but I have no interest in convincing you or anyone else of this- just offering an opinion about how you can't always believe messages like "hope and change and transparency."

No line gets to the QB every play. I've been happy with our line play since Daoust got here. The guy is the best position coach we have.

Every year ESPN or someone writes that the Dline will be a problem for us and every year it's one of our strengths (along with LB's).

RoofBeam said:
Whether or not Daoust is the best position coach at SU has nothing to do with whether or not he tells the truth to some reporter. Are you just believing what you want to hear or are you applying some discriminating analysis that serves an independent judgement? My claim is that any coach who professes confidence in an interior D-line in which there is little returning experience and in which a couple of freshman are going to be needed to provide depth and perhaps significantly more is very likely blowing some degree of smoke...but I have no interest in convincing you or anyone else of this- just offering an opinion about how you can't always believe messages like "hope and change and transparency."

Good god man. His competency as a coach pretty much includes talent evaluation, no? He's coached guys with way less talent to be a top a part of a top 20 D more than once. I trust his evaluation based on past performance, talent evaluation of incoming recruits (Cross and Clark), and his ability to coach.

If he says "we're fine" 4 years in a row and we are - I give that dude the benefit of the doubt rather than call him a liar or smoke blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom