What is our ceiling? | Syracusefan.com

What is our ceiling?

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
Don’t even start with F4 and make insults. Just don’t see it. We were probably the worst offense in the P5 last year. Cornell is not a good defensive team. Just look at some of their scores and numbers.

- Offensively we’re playing 3 on 5 with Frank and Chukwu in there together. I get it Frank is 80/90% or whatever but you can’t stand behind the 3pt line all game. Huge 3 he made at the end of the game though.

- Tyus hero ball saved us. Against Cornell?

- Offense should not be this much of a struggle right now with how positionless the game has become on offense. The PGs excuse will not cut it in my book.

- Are we done pushing the pace? Like fundamentally done? Easy baskets I would think is a top priority since they are tough to come by for this bunch, regardless. Attack!

- Centers seem to be regressing game by game.

- We’re long but certainly not that quick or skilled across the board. How can we improve the offense? Is it going to be simply hero ball and hope for the best? I suppose we’ll know more after Buffalo but, man, was this ugly.

Depends how elite the defense gets.

On the plus side, the ACC doesn’t seem to be as great as normal, so we should be plus .500 there which should get us into the tournament.

Don’t even start with F4 and make insults. Just don’t see it. We were probably the worst offense in the P5 last year. Cornell is not a good defensive team. Just look at some of their scores and numbers.

- Offensively we’re playing 3 on 5 with Frank and Chukwu in there together. I get it Frank is 80/90% or whatever but you can’t stand behind the 3pt line all game. Huge 3 he made at the end of the game though.

- Offense should not be this much of a struggle right now with how positionless the game has become on offense. The PGs excuse will not cut it in my book.

- Are we done pushing the pace? Like fundamentally done? Easy baskets I would think is a top priority since they are tough to come by for this bunch, regardless. Attack!

- We’re long but certainly not that quick or skilled across the board. How can we improve the offense? Is it going to be simply hero ball and hope for the best? I suppose we’ll know more after Buffalo but, man, was this ugly.

Right now I'd say that we're going to struggle to get to 20 wins again but get back to me in January. I might have a different opinion then.

Depends how elite the defense gets.

On the plus side, the ACC doesn’t seem to be as great as normal, so we should be plus .500 there which should get us into the tournament.

We’ll have to slow down and grind. S16 maybe if we get lucky. ACC is down but this team won’t blow anybody out. I watched UL a few times now. They are ahead of schedule with Mack. Hopefully 10-8/11-7.

They won and just beat a top 20 team on the road. Ceiling is vey high but they need to be more consistent. UB scares me.

Beating Golden State in 5.

They won and just beat a top 20 team on the road. Ceiling is vey high but they need to be more consistent. UB scares me.

I’m a careful betting man and have no faith in SU against Buffalo.

But, if we lose it is another non-conf loss. That would be 3. ACC is down but nothing is a given in the ACC. Let’s say 11-7 at best. 10 losses before the ACC Tourney. Maybe we get a 8/9 seed if lucky? Not exactly a great spot to be in.

Where is the “ACC is down” campaign coming from? Did somebody discover a better conference? Winning 11 games in the conference isn’t impossible but it won’t be done by any team that is mediocre.

Our ceiling is the final four. The advantage of being around for as long as I have, I have seen us have runs. This team has talent. Whether it was '75, or '96. No one thought we were going to final fours those years. Or after we were destroyed by G-town at the end of the '13 season. Or being behind by as much as we were against Virginia. a team we never beat at the time. The one thing I know for certain, 100% certain, is that no one here knows what this team will do this year.

Where is the “ACC is down” campaign coming from? Did somebody discover a better conference? Winning 11 games in the conference isn’t impossible but it won’t be done by any team that is mediocre.

I was piggybacking off of what I’ve been generally hearing/seeing here. Louisville is playing really sound under Mack. Georgia Tech pissed away a late lead to St. John’s but they have a C transfer who is gonna crush our frontline. James Banks. 6’10/240. Transfer from Texas who practiced against Bamba and Jarrett Allen. He transfered and was eligible immediately. He had 16/12 today.

Last edited:
this ACC is down this year as a whole (top obv still very strong) compared to the last few

With what we do on offense you gotta turn the corner on these drives or when we dribble and handoff to other guys. If not then move and reverse the ball quick and crisp. Ugh...basic stuff, lol.

We need something to infuse some energy and motivate these players. The staff seems like they are in a coma. Watch during TOs. Gmac and Grif are outside the circle with no engagement. Red at least will take a player aside prior to them taking the floor. There is a total lack of intensity.

Based on results.

We need something to infuse some energy and motivate these players. The staff seems like they are in a coma. Watch during TOs. Gmac and Grif are outside the circle with no engagement. Red at least will take a player aside prior to them taking the floor. There is a total lack of intensity.

I don’t disagree. Back to your point in the other thread about the substitutions. I think JB tried. Nothing worked. If Paschal came out for playing poorly he tried Sidibe. He was bad. Frank did nothing and Carey got a turn. He was bad. Buddy basically isn’t in the rotation anymore. Marek struggled too.

I don’t know. I think we have to be honest and accept what this team is. Still some offensive misfits without a lot of collective speed and skill out there. Length yes, yay! A full go Frank struggles to get by guys sometimes and plays east-west sometimes. Tonight he had no explosion as JB said in the presser. Basically 3 on 5 with him and a C in there. The other guys are streaky and Battle was solid. He’s finding his groove. The Centers can’t be trusted and counted on for scoring. Hughes is a good P5 player but most good teams have a Hughes or a couple of them. Oshae has talent but isn’t close to putting it together. None of these guys are good passers except Frank. Carey does not play downhill. Not yet at least. It’s perplexing.

My fear is that shooting jumpers contested or not is probably the only way to play with these guys. Consequently, this means probably not pushing like we had hoped thus grinding out games letting the Zone muck it up. Squeak by with the offense god willing. Tyus or Oshae to go Kobe or TMac-style if we are really stuck. JB seemed really broken tonight. It was an unpleasant presser.

Sure I’ll play. To me our ceiling right now is a 4th place ACC finish, a 4-5 seed, and a visit to the regional final, where we’ll lose to a better team.

Nothing I’ve seen through the first six games tells me that we’re a National Title contender, or even a candidate for the Final Four.

I think the ceiling is about a 7 seed going into the tourney. I'm expecting yet another double digit loss season going into the NCAAs...

The tourney is a total crap shoot of course, based on matchups and such, and Boeheim's recent relative post season success with his teams that underachieve in the regular season suggests that we could make another SW16. At least Battle has been playing better since he switched back to 2 guard.

I’m a careful betting man and have no faith in SU against Buffalo.

Take Buffalo and the points. I think we'll win but we won't cover. Massinburg and Perkins will kills us.

I'm 5-1 on Cuse games ATS this year and 19-7 combined over the last two seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom