What is our ceiling? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What is our ceiling?

Why would you have less faith now? SU beat a top 16 OSU team on the road, and while it wasn't pretty dispatched Cornell. The odds/point spread for UB should be trending in SU's favor, not against it.

As for the OP, you can't write of the F4. SU just beat a top 16 team on the road. That would normally qualify a team into the Elite 8 right there.

I fully get that you don't like the style of play. But please don't confuse that with SU's ceiling.

Oh I’m not confused at all. Thanks for playing, though. Just because the analytics looked reasonable and even pretty good against Cornell doesn’t mean I’m jumping for joy. We didn’t drive much, settled for jumpers off zero or one pass, and needed Tyus to ball out. I just won’t masquerade around like we are some good offensive team now. Gotta wait and see if/when Frank gets healthier and plays better but I’m obviously concerned.

Last edited:
Oh I’m not confused at all. Thanks for playing, though. Just because the analytics looked reasonable and even pretty good against Cornell doesn’t mean I’m jumping for joy. We didn’t drive much, settled for jumpers off zero or one pass, and needed Tyus to ball out. I just won’t masquerade like we are some good offensive team now. Gotta wait and see if/when Frank gets healthier and plays better but I’m obviously concerned.
You seem to be using your displeasure over SU's style of play, as a means to downplay SU's ceiling. But this style of play just beat a top 16 team on the road. Clearly the possibility exists of making a run in the tourney, even with this style - it's been done in the recent past.

1543854259491.png

I'm just hoping that SU's recruiting improves to the point where we're in the running for talented kids like the ones who play for Cornell.

You know, guys who move off the ball, cut to the basket, that kind of thing.

Fingers crossed. Someday.

Oh I’m not confused at all. Thanks for playing, though. Just because the analytics looked reasonable and even pretty good against Cornell doesn’t mean I’m jumping for joy. We didn’t drive much, settled for jumpers off zero or one pass, and needed Tyus to ball out. I just won’t masquerade like we are some good offensive team now. Gotta wait and see if/when Frank gets healthier and plays better but I’m obviously concerned.
The fact that the analytics look reasonable should give you faith that some of the issues on offense can be improved. Our movementt, ball movement, screening, and focus on attacking the basket (and not settling for contested jumpers) should all improve with more game experience and more practice time, especially as Frank shakes off the rust and Jalen gains more experience and confidence. Remember, Carey missed most of pre-season practice as well. I think he can be a significant contributor this season. As a freshman, Tyus struggled big-time for much of December coming off of a minor injury. He finally started playing better in January and February and became a key contributor as a freshman.

You seem to be using your displeasure over SU's style of play, as a means to downplay SU's ceiling. But this style of play just beat a top 16 team on the road. Clearly the possibility exists of making a run in the tourney, even with this style - it's been done in the recent past.

Again, I’m not confused. Well aware they can make a run. It’s just going to be an uphill climb, IMO. The idea of just barely doing enough on offense to win games gives me the heebie-jeebies. I think it limits a ceiling. Same with relying on perimeter jumpers (often bad shots) off of little movement with a streaky shooting team. What’s hard to understand about that? Even JB said Frank’s big three (1-7) he hit was a bad shot.

Again, I’m not confused. Well aware they can make a run. It’s just going to be an uphill climb, IMO. The idea of just barely doing enough on offense to win games gives me the heebie-jeebies. I think it limits a ceiling. Same with relying on perimeter jumpers (often bad shots) off of little movement with a streaky shooting team. What’s hard to understand about that? Even JB said Frank’s big three (1-7) he hit was a bad shot.
You acknowledge that SU beat the number 16 team on the road. Now you're well aware they can make a run.

Yet you opened with "Don't tell me about the F4". Seems like a confusion on your part on the definition of "ceiling".

Going on a run that includes taking down top 16 teams is exactly what can get you into the F4.

You acknowledge that SU beat the number 16 team on the road. Now you're well aware they can make a run.

Yet you opened with "Don't tell me about the F4". Seems like a confusion on your part on the definition of "ceiling".

Going on a run that includes taking down top 16 teams is exactly what can get you into the F4.

Again, no confusion. I don’t think this team can get to a F4 at all. S16 maybe. Clear now? We’ll see how it shakes out.

Any team that makes the tournament has a chance to reach the F4.

SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

If this team goes anywhere past the 2nd weekend, it will be because of the defense. Right now, the offense doesn't look much better than last season. It could certainly improve, and should, but with Chukwu out there, they're still playing 4 on 5 (and against OSU, 4 on 8).

Again, no confusion. I don’t think this team can get to a F4 at all. S16 maybe. Clear now? We’ll see how it shakes out.
Okay, so you don't think SU can make it. But you went further than that (Don't tell me about F4) and thought others shouldn't have this opinion either.

But I think they can. Get into the tourney and go on a run. This SU team just showed it can take out a top 16 team. And I think SU will improve.

Okay, so you don't think SU can make it. But you went further than that (Don't tell me about F4) and thought others shouldn't have this opinion either.

But I think they can. Get into the tourney and go on a run. This SU team just showed it can take out a top 16 team. And I think SU will improve.
It really shouldn't surprise me after all these years, but I still find it remarkable that a thread like this can exist weeks before this team plays its first game in conference.

It really shouldn't surprise me after all these years, but I still find it remarkable that a thread like this can exist weeks before this team plays its first game in conference.

Is that the acceptable time to talk about it? First conference game? Just curious about the rules.

I certainly respect everyone’s take about F4 potential. Obviously it could happen. I probably shouldn’t have written that phrase in the OP. I was just so incredibly frustrated by that Cornell performance. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing out there. Seems like JB agreed. I don’t care how ‘efficient’ we appeared in that game. That was a pathetic performance. 8 assists on those FGs tells you all you need to know about the stagnation and settling for jumpers.

Is that the acceptable time to talk about it? First conference game? Just curious about the rules.
There are no rules of course. Just curious threads.

Round of 16 - absolute ceiling - we are a bubble team - we just dont have the players - Battle will get a shot on the NBA - outside of him no one has a chance to make an NBA team - dont give me that Brisset - SF that cannot dribble - maybe Carey only because I haven't seen much of him yet

yeah if people weren't super frustrated (and at least somewhat concerned) after that game Saturday, they weren't really watching
I doubt the team that beat Ohio St. in Columbus regressed that much over a three-day period. They’re college kids. They’re not going to get up for every game. Hopefully they learned their lesson and won’t take anything for granted going forward.

Round of 16 - absolute ceiling - we are a bubble team - we just dont have the players - Battle will get a shot on the NBA - outside of him no one has a chance to make an NBA team - dont give me that Brisset - SF that cannot dribble - maybe Carey only because I haven't seen much of him yet
So this team, which is essentially last year's team infused with high quality depth plus more experience and (hopefully) better health, absolutely cannot advance farther than last season's team?

ABSOLUTE CEILING
If nothing else, this thread and its bastard cousins help me know who shouldn't be taken seriously on the subject of SU basketball.

If nothing else, this thread and its bastard cousins help me know who shouldn't be taken seriously on the subject of SU basketball.
#realfanzkeepitreal

So this team, which is essentially last year's team infused with high quality depth plus more experience and (hopefully) better health, absolutely cannot advance farther than last season's team?
I am optimistic this team can get better, but in fairness, being in MSG and seeing our team getting stomped was no fun. Was the game at OSU a full redemption? It is a puzzle that Chukwu, Sidibe and Dolezaj haven't shown much improvement, though many had expected they would. We have better depth on paper -- but based on performance in the games so far? There are good new components (Carey, Hughes) -- and JB has worked his magic in many, many seasons. And we need that magic.

Our ceiling is winning it all .. not because I see this team as any great shakes .. but rather because history has shown us time and time again .. get the right matchups in the tournament and you can keep advancing .. some of these teams are clueless vs the zone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom