What is the role of the Board of Trustees? | Syracusefan.com

What is the role of the Board of Trustees?

They have been watching...

Tribunal-s1-inset.jpg

It's a big ego trip. The role of the BOT members is to stay in the role of BOT members.
I have a fraternity brother who's on the BOT. From what he's told me, I can confirm that it is mostly about ego and resume building. He says most agendas and votes are set long before any meeting- IOW, there are rarely any surprises.
JB and Dino for that matter, are not subjects for official discussion. It's just never brought up other than as an " oh, by the way".
If we're expecting action from the BOT, it just ain't happening.

A board puts management in place. The board hires the chancellor. The chancellor hires the athletic director. The ad overseas the basketball program.

This is just speculation but I wouldnt expect the board to take affirmative action with respect to JB. But i would expect the chancellor and AD would seek the board’s support when making a decision about jb.

It appears that a post I made, responding to Trueblue25 regarding the Board of Trustees was deleted

What is their role? Is it not to act in the best interest of the University?
It's a big ego trip. The role of the BOT members is to stay in the role of BOT members.
Maybe it’s to - crazy as it sounds - help promote and lead the overall prosperity of a 150+ year academic institution to function well in the present and future with sports being a little piece of it?

Last edited:
The goal of the Board is not athletics. It is the overall welfare of the institution. Athletics is a small part of that. It'll come up every now and then like when Syverud trashed Babers and the team after the loss at Maryland in 2019 before the Board meeting ahead of the Clemson game.

I have a fraternity brother who's on the BOT. From what he's told me, I can confirm that it is mostly about ego and resume building. He says most agendas and votes are set long before any meeting- IOW, there are rarely any surprises.
JB and Dino for that matter, are not subjects for official discussion. It's just never brought up other than as an " oh, by the way".
If we're expecting action from the BOT, it just ain't happening.

A board puts management in place. The board hires the chancellor. The chancellor hires the athletic director. The ad overseas the basketball program.

This is just speculation but I wouldnt expect the board to take affirmative action with respect to JB. But i would expect the chancellor and AD would seek the board’s support when making a decision about jb.
Yea the idea that Wildhack couldn’t force out JB is absurd. He’s his boss. If he really felt it was imperative, of course he can. What makes it tricky is that it’s a university so it’s better if he has buy-in from stakeholders. He has to worry about reactions from boosters loyal to JB. Does he want to alienate guys like Weitsman and others? Does he want to alienate JB who could be helpful for future fundraising? I think it’s very much akin to the Denny Crum situation at Louisville 20 years ago, as I’ve posted about before. JB seems of the mind that, “I alone can fix this.” He needs to be forced out but no one wants to do it, especially because JB is a difficult, unpredictable personality. And Wildhack is a Cuse guy with a longtime relationship with JB. If we had a splash hire waiting in the wings, I think it would be a lot easier for stakeholders to swallow forcing JB out.

Last edited:
If we had a splash hire waiting in the wings, I think it would be a lot easier for stakeholders to swallow forcing JB out.
But what if - as an example - JW already has his eyes on Sean Miller and his buyout drops by $5M if we wait a year? I’m NOT saying that is a concern but if JW is ready and willing, how much financial latitude does he have with these negotiations? If he says he wants to aggressively pursue high profile coach X and he needs to offer $40M guaranteed over 5 years… starting at $7M/year… I’m guessing the Board of Trustees still has to approve. Will they be willing to open up the purse to do what is needed.

That’s not a ridiculous number by the way. If we’re serious about the future and trying to survive the political chaos that is on the horizon with the GOR in a few years, it’s put up or shut up time. But in the meantime let’s just wait another year because….?

Maybe it’s to - crazy as it sounds - help promote and lead the overall prosperity of a 150+ year academic institution to function well in the present and future with sports being a little piece of it?
Yes, I agree that the BoT's primary concern should be the collective well-being of the University. A big part of that the is the image and brand of the University - fair or not, the Athletic Department (specifically, MBB & FB) . I wonder what the BoT thinks of general public perception of the Athletic Department at this point in time, and in general, over the past 3-4 years.

Last edited:
This is why for Joe Fan it gets frustrating. Earlier threads stating Wildhack hands are tied by BOT. This thread says BOT has no interest. Whatever or whoever is making the decision needs to have the talk soon. If not it looks like the school just wants to cash the ACC check.

This is why for Joe Fan it gets frustrating. Earlier threads stating Wildhack hands are tied by BOT. This thread says BOT has no interest. Whatever or whoever is making the decision needs to have the talk soon. If not it looks like the school just wants to cash the ACC check.
Nobody wants to take responsibility - the buck is being passed back and forth.

Not true. The new head of the BOT is a huge sports fan. He just got here though.

I only made the Alumni Association Board, never BoT.
But at other uni's - grad school - BoT are basically execs (or exec wannabees) who give a lot of cash (for endowments - I have two at SU) and commit to raise money while feeding more people into the mix.
Where does athletics come into play? In the past 20+ years, it's been about balancing revenue sports and mens/womens sports. Title IX.

Is this what we've come too? Hoping the BoT intervenes in University sports issues. My question is -
What is the role of the Athletic Director?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom